HELP: Copying directory share names.

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 4, 2005 9:08:06 PM

I'm trying to copy accross a bulk amount of directories and data, keeping
the directory structure, ACL's and share names intact replicating that of
the source.

Unfortunatley xcopy and robocopy doesn't facilitate copying accross the
share names on shared directories. Does anyone know of a utility I can use
to come along after the above file copy and update the directories with the
matching share names, or if there isn't one suggest a better utility to copy
directories, files, ACL's and share names in the one process?

Thanks, Troy.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 9:08:07 PM

On Wed, 4 May 2005 17:08:06 +1000, "Troy" <Troy@nospam.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to copy accross a bulk amount of directories and data, keeping
>the directory structure, ACL's and share names intact replicating that of
>the source.
>
>Unfortunatley xcopy and robocopy doesn't facilitate copying accross the
>share names on shared directories. Does anyone know of a utility I can use
>to come along after the above file copy and update the directories with the
>matching share names, or if there isn't one suggest a better utility to copy
>directories, files, ACL's and share names in the one process?
>
>Thanks, Troy.

After the copy, you can run RMTSHARE \\SourceServer and RMTSHARE\DestServer in a script and copy missing share info.
RMTShare is from Micorosoft and is available at tip 6353 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

You can also use the export function of subInACL, tip 8530.

See tip 8587ยป How can I transfer a folder structure, shares, and permissions?
!