Sign in with
Your question

F*CK IBM LENOVO OR W/E ITS NAME IS!

Last response: in Systems
July 15, 2006 1:12:51 AM

Hi

Im so pissed of with IBM. In 1999 I bought a system, after 2 years I started to research about computers I found out that I could have got a better PIII. They rip me off. Since that day I hate IBM. And now once again I have to warn people about this

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BR...

The only "good" thing the screen. Then what? 40gb hard drive? pentium 4 2.93Ghz? 256 ram?!! c'mon

Sorry for the topic title but I had to express my feelings about this brand which I dont know when is going to close and start selling snickers for $10 and keep ripping off people.

More about : ibm lenovo

July 15, 2006 2:56:25 PM

Quote:
Hi

Im so pissed of with IBM. In 1999 I bought a system, after 2 years I started to research about computers I found out that I could have got a better PIII. They rip me off. Since that day I hate IBM. And now once again I have to warn people about this

The only "good" thing the screen. Then what? 40gb hard drive? pentium 4 2.93Ghz? 256 ram?!! c'mon

Sorry for the topic title but I had to express my feelings about this brand which I dont know when is going to close and start selling snickers for $10 and keep ripping off people.

What do you expect for $599 with XP Pro? Come on!
July 15, 2006 3:16:29 PM

Quote:
Hi

Word.

What do you expect for $599 with XP Pro? Come on!
Related resources
July 15, 2006 3:17:48 PM

Quote:
Hi

This is called buyers remorse. One can always find something better or cheaper if you look hard enough. The trick is to look before you leap.
There are advantages when buying a major brand, but you will usually pay a premium price and it certainly isn't a "rip off".

BTW, Lenovo is the company that bought IBM's PC business.
July 15, 2006 4:36:55 PM

Im just saying, you can get HP, eMachines, Gateways, Compaqs for the same price and better stuff.

Just go to Compusa, put Desktop pcs, order them by price lowest to high. You will see what I mean.
July 15, 2006 5:19:13 PM

I bought my IBM Thinkpad T40 with the Pentium M 1.5GHz CPU for $2,100 when it was first introduced. Yeah, it's a bit expensive; I could have probably bought something from DELL, or Gateway for about $200 or maybe even $300 less.

But you know what? I love it. I never had a problem with it, and even if I did, I knew I could depend on IBM's help center. Plus, those cheaper laptops were also heavier as well. Big consideration when you need to carry around a laptop.
July 15, 2006 5:35:29 PM

Im not saying I buy OEM pc. I just didnt know where to put this topic. And also to beware people of this.
July 15, 2006 5:46:46 PM

You bought that thing in '99? What was the price then? I wouldn't say that you were ripped off; I bought a Dell 4600C+flatscreen with similar specs in 2003, and it wasn't exactly cheap. I guess I've been blinded by the Lenovo Thinkpad hype, because I can't find it in me to think badly of IBM.
July 15, 2006 6:06:26 PM

Quote:
We build our PCs, we don't go to crap stores like CompUSA and buy OEM PCs.

newegg.com is our homeboy

:D 
July 15, 2006 7:00:28 PM

It's not IBMs fault if you bought a sh!t PC
July 15, 2006 7:52:17 PM

forgot about that ...
July 15, 2006 7:53:32 PM

800 posts !!!

woooooooooo

ok il stop
July 16, 2006 4:04:47 AM

Yes IT IS because I didnt know much about computers in that time and because IBM was a good brand I thought they were going to sell me good and just released products.

I made a mistake right there I just remembered they sold it to me in the year 2000.They sold me

IBM Aptiva 600mhz Katmai CPU 512kb L2 cache (At half-speed) with 100mhz FSB. 128 PC100 Ram, S3 Savage 4 16mb, No Sound Card, No Ethernet card. CD-RW at 2x with 24x read speed. Floppy and 15Gb Hard Drive. With 17 inchs CRT screen.

You know how much it cost me? $3,000 (plus taxes and shipping you know it was almost $3,500

That moment I went like oh this thing should last me a lot since is a "brand" company they are selling me last released stuff. After 2 years or so I saw that my Katmai was released in August 2 of 1999 (kinda early dont you think?) according to wikipedia. Then the worst thing comes now, Coppermine which was way better than katmai. In October of the same yaer they released coppers up to 733Mhz (Also have in mind socket-370 was released in that time too) Between december and may of 2000 intel released 750, 800, 850, 866, 933 and 1000 MHz.

Now I boght my system 3 of march of 2000. Shouldnt I get AT LEAST a Coppermine of 800mhz? I got a katmai 600mhz slot 1 well it wasnt that bad in that time but still.

Hope you guys can understand how pissed was I that time.
July 16, 2006 4:23:57 AM

Quote:
forgot about that ...

how can you?

800 posts, big deal :roll: :roll:

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 

<3
July 16, 2006 4:28:26 AM

Quote:
Yes IT IS because I didnt know much about computers in that time and because IBM was a good brand I thought they were going to sell me good and just released products.

I made a mistake right there I just remembered they sold it to me in the year 2000.They sold me

IBM Aptiva 600mhz Katmai CPU 512kb L2 cache (At half-speed) with 100mhz FSB. 128 PC100 Ram, S3 Savage 4 16mb, No Sound Card, No Ethernet card. CD-RW at 2x with 24x read speed. Floppy and 15Gb Hard Drive. With 17 inchs CRT screen.

You know how much it cost me? $3,000 (plus taxes and shipping you know it was almost $3,500

That moment I went like oh this thing should last me a lot since is a "brand" company they are selling me last released stuff. After 2 years or so I saw that my Katmai was released in August 2 of 1999 (kinda early dont you think?) according to wikipedia. Then the worst thing comes now, Coppermine which was way better than katmai. In October of the same yaer they released coppers up to 733Mhz (Also have in mind socket-370 was released in that time too) Between december and may of 2000 intel released 750, 800, 850, 866, 933 and 1000 MHz.

Now I boght my system 3 of march of 2000. Shouldnt I get AT LEAST a Coppermine of 800mhz? I got a katmai 600mhz slot 1 well it wasnt that bad in that time but still.

Hope you guys can understand how pissed was I that time.

Cannot say I feel the least bit sorry, you should only be pissed at yourself for not doing research. IBM is going to price its products at what it thinks it can sell them for. Remember, value is defined by what the customer is willing to pay, nothing else.
July 16, 2006 4:36:02 AM

Hey thanks for that reply but you know what I wasnt really a computer geek in that time I just need a computer since the one i had was a 486. I wanted to play something else from the nintendo 64 and all those old skool consoles. So that happened I knew from that day I should not buy any IBM PC anymore and recommend people not to buy them either since they are not clasified numer 1 in customer service (or customer satisfaction).

I build my own computers now ;) 
July 16, 2006 4:40:52 AM

Quote:
Hey thanks for that reply but you know what I wasnt really a computer geek in that time I just need a computer since the one i had was a 486. I wanted to play something else from the nintendo 64 and all those old skool consoles. So that happened I knew from that day I should not buy any IBM PC anymore and recommend people not to buy them either since they are not clasified numer 1 in customer service (or customer satisfaction).

I build my own computers now ;) 

IBM made its name on laptops. I own a T40 too, and its the best laptop I have ever owned.

Their desktops sucked ass, as all brands do.
July 16, 2006 4:49:09 AM

so how is it IBM's fault if you were too stupid to research the features of your computer and make an informed decision. Sure IBM might have been selling yesterdays stuff today but hey as long as IBM sees that they can make profits off their product they sell it, it's business.
July 16, 2006 3:29:55 PM

I went to many stores in that time, Computer retailers. They showed and told me that the best of the best in that time was either a Compaq or IBM. So because IBM WAS a really good brand name I choise for IBM.

I didnt made a stupid decision because I did took my time to see what retail stores told me. After 2 years I saw that I did the biggest mistake of my life.
July 16, 2006 4:01:41 PM

IBM and Lenovo are too seperate companies.

Lenovo bought IBMs laptop division from them about 2 years ago. So the IBM you bought was an IBM. An IBM laptop today is a Lenovo because Lenovo had a deal to use the IBM name for a few years while it gained brand recognition. Needless to say a company like IBM selling their laptop division upset and worried a lot of people because IBM laptops are not only great, sturdy laptops (albeit expensive), they are also heavily used in the government and corporate sector. And those kinds of clients don't want a laptop thats being produced by a Chinese company.

Anyway, what others have said. What do you expect? The company I work for is dealing with Lenovo and I can tell you, they're a pain in the ass to deal with. Thats about all I'll say. If you don't think its a good deal, don't buy it. You'll always be able to find a better deal if you wait and keep looking, but then you'll never buy anything.
July 16, 2006 4:47:45 PM

Quote:
Im just saying, you can get HP, eMachines, Gateways, Compaqs for the same price and better stuff.

Just go to Compusa, put Desktop pcs, order them by price lowest to high. You will see what I mean.

look... you want to know why ThinkPads are more expensive? If you have used laptops... you would KNOW personnally that ThinkPads have higher quality parts. This is shown in the way they hold up over the years.

Buy an emachine and it lasts 1 year. buy gateway/compac/dell they last two years. buy a thinkpad and it lasts for 4 years.

----

You sir do not appreciate good quality workmanship. You are only obssessed with model x having ___ more ___ than model y. Because that is how you look at all these things... you will never appreciate the higher cost of a ThinkPad.

So yes PLEASE go buy those lower quality and cheaper laptops. You can't appreciate the higher quality of a ThinkPad so you don't deserve one =P !
July 16, 2006 4:57:16 PM

For the record slim: going to retail outlets like circuit city, best buy, comp usa, etc etc is NOT proper research. You are getting casual information that is not from direct sources. i.e. some guy read it from a guy who read it. and then he tells you what he remembers from that article one month ago.

you need to research using better sources.

----------

I don't know about lenovo... i'm hoping they dont screw up thinkpads... but know chinese history... they probably will screw it up. (i still do not see any credible high tech chinese companies. It's not a racist comment.)

The chinese have also been known to steal chip designs and claim it for their own. They have not proven themselves in the high tech field... It's actually a sad story here. It is about a chinese man who was pressed to produce something... but he was pressed so hard they he ended up stealing a chip design and the entire chinese government was depending on him to make china credible... so when the scandal came out the entire nation hated him. His career is ruined now and i dont even know if he was hurt physically. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/15/technology/15fraud.ht...
July 16, 2006 5:02:56 PM

Quote:

look... you want to know why ThinkPads are more expensive? If you have used laptops... you would KNOW personnally that ThinkPads have higher quality parts. This is shown in the way they hold up over the years.
!

Exactly! Most laptops are made of cheap plastic. My Thinkpad T40 is made of magnese. Metal costs more to use, but it makes a much more sturdy laptop that can survive a drop without shattering (try that with your cheapo).
July 16, 2006 5:18:01 PM

Quote:

You can't compare those brands with IBM. Nothing beats IBM in quality when it comes to laptops. All the other brands you mention are a joke compared to IBM.
July 16, 2006 5:35:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
All the other brands you mention are a joke compared to IBM.

EXACTLY.

----

It takes time to appreciate higher quality... and not worship the almight cheap/value buy.
July 16, 2006 5:48:16 PM

Quote:
You can't compare those brands with IBM. Nothing beats IBM in quality when it comes to laptops. All the other brands you mention are a joke compared to IBM.

Tru dat. If I buy a PC laptop in the future it'll be either Lenovo (IBM) or Sony for sure. Having experienced pretty crappy quality laptops in the past my PowerBook was a revelation to me in terms of build, style and quality of components, and IBM can match the Apple in 2 of those 3 categories at least.
July 16, 2006 5:49:42 PM

Quote:

I don't know about lenovo... i'm hoping they dont screw up thinkpads... but know chinese history... they probably will screw it up. It is about a chinese man who was pressed to produce something... but he was pressed so hard they he ended up stealing a chip design and the entire chinese government was depending on him to make china credible... so when the scandal came out the entire nation hated him.

I think it is a lack of creativity due to a Communist Regime coupled with poor protection of patent laws. China is the copy capital of the world. It is difficult to do any kind of IP business in China because there are no laws protecting you from people stealing your ideas. Taiwan, on the other hand, is capable of producing quality and creativity.
July 16, 2006 5:52:32 PM

Quote:

Tru dat. If I buy a PC laptop in the future it'll be either Lenovo (IBM) or Sony for sure. Having experienced pretty crappy quality laptops in the past my PowerBook was a revelation to me in terms of build, style and quality of components, and IBM can match the Apple in 2 of those 3 categories at least.

Lenovo is not IBM. They just use their name for better sales. Hopefully they don't screw up the design and just keep copying what IBM sold them.
July 16, 2006 6:01:49 PM

Quote:
800 posts !!!

woooooooooo

ok il stop

And what great posts they are too.
Your existance is a waste of resources. Fix it.
July 16, 2006 6:40:04 PM

Well think of it this way after the newer intel sockets were released a few years ago socket 478s still showed up in a lot of computers with northwood only the top of the line computers had the new sockets. Also remember that you bought it from them you went to them and agreeded to pay there price that they set no one forced you to, no one asked you to, you made the choice. next you must remember that slot one and socket 370 were just in a trans phaze slot one was still out there and ibm had quite a few slot one items that they needed to sell. and next time do your research.

.... good research involves price comaparing
feature analysis
needs assesment

like go to a play like tigerdirect.com price something out then go to ibms site see what they offer fallowed by a few more places

also if its casual use try to find the best deal out there such as i can pick up a 1.8 ghz p4 with xppro and 512 megs of ram and a 40 gig hd off lease at tigerdirect.com for around 350$ or so.
now an xp pro lis costs 130 dollars so for hardware i look at 220 for hardware and i know it works because its been on lease for a few years.

so next time you buy check what your getting and dont blame the company because you screwed up.... by the way ibms server rails are kind of a pain but there laptops last forever.
July 16, 2006 6:46:51 PM

Quote:

May have been true in the past, but no longer. IBM doesn't manufacture laptops (or desktops for that matter) any more, and haven't for some time.
July 16, 2006 7:07:22 PM

Why you all started talking about laptops? IM TALKING ABOUT DESKTOP STOP WITH THE LAPTOP THINGS!

My father has a ThinkPad and I like that one but Im talking about IBM DESKTOP Quality.

Now Whoever started talking about laptops you can open your own post because I never mentioned quality/brand/warrantys etc about laptops because I know they are not that bad.
July 16, 2006 7:11:54 PM

Maybe in laptops you are right but not in desktops.

Also, My source wasnt circuit city or best buy or any of those stores. My sources where computer people who were all the time using computers and also every store too. But not only them it was the name IBM that was everywhere. I mean everywhere thats why my decision.

You want to know the worst thing? I couldnt even update my BIOS from the IBM site. Many (I mean MANY) Aptiva machines werent listed in the IBM site for BIOS update. Not even drivers or utilities. What kind of service is that? I had an Aptiva, I have experienced it. If you come and tell me "IBM is good you just were stupid" and you didnt experienced an IBM desktop before. Say whatever you want!
July 16, 2006 7:25:31 PM

Quote:

May have been true in the past, but no longer. IBM doesn't manufacture laptops (or desktops for that matter) any more, and haven't for some time.
It still applies for the "IBM-series" that Lenovo manufactures. But one have to make a difference between, the "IBM-series" (Thinkpad, etc) and Lenovos own products.
July 16, 2006 7:27:29 PM

Quote:
Why you all started talking about laptops? IM TALKING ABOUT DESKTOP STOP WITH THE LAPTOP THINGS!

My father has a ThinkPad and I like that one but Im talking about IBM DESKTOP Quality.

Now Whoever started talking about laptops you can open your own post because I never mentioned quality/brand/warrantys etc about laptops because I know they are not that bad.

Ok, I missed that. But buying a branded computer is usually bad. You get little value for the money. You can't blame anyone else but yourself for this. You bought the product, you didn't make enough research before...
July 16, 2006 7:42:47 PM

Quote:
800 posts !!!

woooooooooo

ok il stop

And what great posts they are too.
Your existance is a waste of resources. Fix it.

Quote:
My guess by your post is that you should NEVER even attempt to open your computer case. My advice is buy an E-Machine, hook up with AOL and try not to post.

i wouldnt be talking

=/
July 16, 2006 7:55:02 PM

Quote:

You started talking about laptops when you mentioned Lenovo/IBM. When you mention Lenovo and IBM together you are refferring to Lenovo buying out the IBM laptop brand called Thinkpad.

So next time try posting with proper knowledge so you can avoid sounding like an ignorant and belligerant idiot.

---------

Just for clarification... are you griping about a pc/desktop that you bought years ago? because if that is the case you really are a sad fellow.

---------

thats like buying some $hitty product years ago. and then throwing it out. and bring it up at the water cooler at work "so a couple years ago i bought this thing that really sucked... and then i like threw it out. that PIII sucked." and then the guy would reply "why in gods name are you talking about something that was years ago? we don't even use PIII's anymore..."
July 16, 2006 8:11:07 PM

Quote:

It still applies for the "IBM-series" that Lenovo manufactures. But one have to make a difference between, the "IBM-series" (Thinkpad, etc) and Lenovos own products.

As Lenovo has "owned" the Thinkpad brand since early 2005, there is very llittle connection to the IBM designs. The Thinkpad enclosure design is about all that remains. For the most part, motherboards, displays and peripherals are now common with other Lenovo (non Thinkpad) products. IIRC these are sold largely in non-USA markets at lower price points. Of course, IBM didn't manufacture most of those pieces anyway.

However the point remains, whatever quality one associates with the Thinkpad brand is the result of Lenovo manufacturing and not IBM (sadly).
July 17, 2006 7:09:51 AM

The funny thing about the Lenovo brand is that it is chinese owned. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but because of that, the US government stopped using thinkpads since the brand was taken over by Lenovo for anything security related.
Just shows how much faith some have in Levono.
July 17, 2006 8:14:30 AM

I don't know how good the Lenovo brand is, but I can sure tell you that the IBM Thinkpads that I have delt with in the past have all been tanks. In fact I still use one (I think its a 560) which was the first laptop I saw with Windows 95! Haven't had to do a thing other than your usual maintenence, and it still downloads at a reasonable 90kb/sec.

The only downside is the battery lasts a measly 1.5 hrs, but what else do you expect from a laptop well over a decade old?!?

When the hard-drive fails, or I just get fed up with the battery life though, It's tough to say what computer today can offer such durability anymore.
July 17, 2006 10:07:06 AM

let met try to understand this... u're bitching because you think you got suckered by a store over what seems to be an expensive computer?. Back in 1999/2000 à 600 mhz computer would have cost that much. of course if you bought one of a brand name, u'd be expecting it to cost quite à bit more. i bought a 800 mhz in 2000 for something like 1500€ ( just the motherboard, 256 Megs of ram, the PIII E 800 mhz and a Matrox G400) no screen, no fancy tower, no cd burner, dvd didn't exist or where so expensive that it as a dream ( not that I remember that they did existed) . One thing i didn't buy is a brand computer, had to spend quite some time with my nose in books and magazines to find out how to put it all together. If I had bought a Compac or a Packard bell, or even an IBM it would have cost me double that, although i would have had a screen. on the whole i'm not sure u got suckered . As for how computer evolve, when u buy a computer, 6 months later u can declass it, and 18 months later it's completely obsolete. well that's what the people that sell u machines would like you to think. with time u have to upgrade a few things like ram or a graphics card , but on the whole, if you constantly fine tune your os and your bios u'll be fine for 4 years before u need to get a new one. most people dont want that trouble , they just want to buy it , strait out of the box and work or play without trouble. (go get a mac then) leave pcs to us techs :) .

If you spend 2 years between complete system buys that's about the time one would expect if you want to stay on the tech wave ( actually it's 18 months ).

As for your ' warning' some people can't afford 3K computers and this one isn't that bad, what do you expect for 500$? a core duo with an sli graphics monster? good computers are expensive! this one isn't that bad for everyday use, don't expect it to go anywhere near a high end game, i'd expect it to handle basics pretty well, even with vista or xp installed. hey u even get a screen.
600€, windows xp pro cost around 300€ , so u'll have 300€ for the machine, so the screen is virtually free... 300€, hmmm, 60 for the motherboard, 60 for the cpu, 60 for the ram, 60 for the hdd, 60 for the rest....
July 17, 2006 10:17:52 AM

Quote:
let met try to understand this... u're bitching because you think you got suckered by a store over what seems to be an expensive computer?. Back in 1999/2000 à 600 mhz computer would have cost that much. of course if you bought one of a brand name, u'd be expecting it to cost quite à bit more. i bought a 800 mhz in 2000 for something like 1500€ ( just the motherboard, 256 Megs of ram, the PIII E 800 mhz and a Matrox G400) no screen, no fancy tower, no cd burner, dvd didn't exist or where so expensive that it as a dream ( not that I remember that they did existed) . One thing i didn't buy is a brand computer, had to spend quite some time with my nose in books and magazines to find out how to put it all together. If I had bought a Compac or a Packard bell, or even an IBM it would have cost me double that, although i would have had a screen. on the whole i'm not sure u got suckered . As for how computer evolve, when u buy a computer, 6 months later u can declass it, and 18 months later it's completely obsolete. well that's what the people that sell u machines would like you to think. with time u have to upgrade a few things like ram or a graphics card , but on the whole, if you constantly fine tune your os and your bios u'll be fine for 4 years before u need to get a new one. most people dont want that trouble , they just want to buy it , strait out of the box and work or play without trouble. (go get a mac then) leave pcs to us techs :) .

If you spend 2 years between complete system buys that's about the time one would expect if you want to stay on the tech wave ( actually it's 18 months ).

As for your ' warning' some people can't afford 3K computers and this one isn't that bad, what do you expect for 500$? a core duo with an sli graphics monster? good computers are expensive! this one isn't that bad for everyday use, don't expect it to go anywhere near a high end game, i'd expect it to handle basics pretty well, even with vista or xp installed. hey u even get a screen.
600€, windows xp pro cost around 300€ , so u'll have 300€ for the machine, so the screen is virtually free... 300€, hmmm, 60 for the motherboard, 60 for the cpu, 60 for the ram, 60 for the hdd, 60 for the rest....

Word.
!