Advice on 2nd Domain Controller, DNS and DHCP server.

I'd like to add a 2nd domain controller in the current Win2k domain
(having AD), could someone point me to some precautions and steps?

The main DC has also DNS and DHCP running. If possible, I'd like to
install a 2nd DNS and DHCP in this 2nd DC. What are the precautions and
steps? Especially, what are the steps and configs to make both DNS
communicate to each other, and also both DHCP communicate to each other, etc.

TIA

STF

yes u can add second DNS and DHCP services, second dhcp server u can use for
loadbalacing reasons.....
just devide scope into 2 (suggested by MS - 80/20 75/25)

"TFS" <TFS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to add a 2nd domain controller in the current Win2k domain
> (having AD), could someone point me to some precautions and steps?
>
> The main DC has also DNS and DHCP running. If possible, I'd like to
> install a 2nd DNS and DHCP in this 2nd DC. What are the precautions and
> steps? Especially, what are the steps and configs to make both DNS
> communicate to each other, and also both DHCP communicate to each other,
> etc.
>
> TIA
>
> STF

Thank you for your reply. But how and what? What are the precautions and
steps/procedures? Any reference? How much resources are they going to take?

"Hool" wrote:

> yes u can add second DNS and DHCP services, second dhcp server u can use for
> loadbalacing reasons.....
> just devide scope into 2 (suggested by MS - 80/20 75/25)
>

> "TFS" <TFS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'd like to add a 2nd domain controller in the current Win2k domain
> > (having AD), could someone point me to some precautions and steps?
> >
> > The main DC has also DNS and DHCP running. If possible, I'd like to
> > install a 2nd DNS and DHCP in this 2nd DC. What are the precautions and
> > steps? Especially, what are the steps and configs to make both DNS
> > communicate to each other, and also both DHCP communicate to each other,
> > etc.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > STF

TFS,

It is a very very very wise thing that you want to add an additional Domain
Controller to your environment. This is absolutely a good thing.
Especially if you are not up to speed with WIN2000 Active Directory.

Here is the big picture:

Install a second WIN2000 Server machine in your environment. Make sure that
it points to the first Domain Controller ( assuming that you are running DNS
on that DC ) in the TCP/IP Configuration settings ( specifically in the DNS
area ). Then, simply run dcpromo on that machine and there you have
it.....a second Domain Controller. You need to make sure that you are
"adding an additional Domain Controller to an existing Domain" when you go
through that process.

Now, once that has finished make sure that you then go into Add/Remove
Programs and install DNS. I assume that you are running Dynamic DNS on the
first DC. I would do the same with this one. BTW - Dynamic DNS is the same
thing as Active Directory Integrated DNS. That simply means that you really
do not need to allow zone transfers as the information is 'transferred via
Active Directory Replication ( Domain NC ).

Once that is up and running I would start messing around with DHCP. Go
ahead and add it via Add/Remove Programs. Make sure that you have already
changed the range on the first one and then add the remaining % to this one
( as per the other poster's suggestion....MS does recommend 80/20 IIRC ).

Just make sure that the scope Options ( 003, 006 and 015 - and possibly 044
and 046 if you are running WINS ) now reflect the new information.

Please do not misunderstand me by this but it seems that you do not have a
very good grasp on Active Directory. You might be well served by setting up
a lab and playing with all of this. Set up a similar situation to what you
have at work and add a second Domain Controller and add DNS and DHCP. This
will be a big help to you when you do this 'live'!

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24012

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

> Thank you for your reply. But how and what? What are the precautions
> and
> steps/procedures? Any reference? How much resources are they going to
> take?
>
> "Hool" wrote:
>
>> yes u can add second DNS and DHCP services, second dhcp server u can use
>> for
>> loadbalacing reasons.....
>> just devide scope into 2 (suggested by MS - 80/20 75/25)
>>

>> "TFS" <TFS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'd like to add a 2nd domain controller in the current Win2k domain
>> > (having AD), could someone point me to some precautions and steps?
>> >
>> > The main DC has also DNS and DHCP running. If possible, I'd like to
>> > install a 2nd DNS and DHCP in this 2nd DC. What are the precautions
>> > and
>> > steps? Especially, what are the steps and configs to make both DNS
>> > communicate to each other, and also both DHCP communicate to each
>> > other,
>> > etc.
>> >
>> > TIA
>> >
>> > STF

Thanks a lot for your very clear explanation.

But I'd still like to ask one more stupid question. The order of
installing 2nd DC and 2nd DNS isn't important, right? I've read in some KB
articles that a DNS must be installed in the same machine before promoting it
to DC. But since this is 2nd DC and 2nd DNS, this rule doesn't apply, right?

On the other hand, is it possible to configure the 2nd DHCP to use the
same range as the first one? Well, to ask the same question in a different
way: could a 2nd DHCP be configured to act as a backup service in case the
first one is out of service?

"Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" wrote:

> TFS,
>
> It is a very very very wise thing that you want to add an additional Domain
> [snipped]
> will be a big help to you when you do this 'live'!
>
> --
> Cary W. Shultz
> Roanoke, VA 24012
> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
>
> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

TFS,

You have read the correct articles. Due to the fact that Active Directory
is so very dependant upon DNS there are many who suggest that DNS be set up
properly first. However, in a smaller environment this may or may not need
to be the case.

If you have a Member Server I suppose that you could install DNS on it ( it
would have to be a secondary zone ) and make sure that all is well and then
run dcpromo on it to promote it to a Domain Controller and then change the
zone from secondary to Active Directory Integrated ( or, DDNS or Dynamic
DNS ). I have never done this so I would have to check things in a lab
first so that I am not giving out incorrect information.

As for DHCP under no circumstances do you ever want multiple DHCP Servers
handing out IP Address leases from the same range. This is asking for a lot
of problems. If you have an existing DHCP Server that hands out IP Address
leases for, say, 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254 ( with 192.168.1.1 -
192.168.1.30 not available ) then all you need to do is to go in and change
the available range to 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.200 ( or so ). Then stop and
start the DHCP Services. Then add the second DHCP Server and make that one
responsible for 192.168.1.201-192.168.1.254.

You can not really have a 'backup' per se. What you do is either have a
cluster ( never done that ) or have multiple DHCP Servers so that if one
fails there are others that will be able to serve the majority ( in other
words, so that you do not have all your eggs in one basket ).