Rapier587

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
I've been wanting to upgrade my computer for a while and i've looked at some options. I mostly use my computer for games, but since I go to school too I use it to browse the web, write papers and watching movies. First I checked out Extreme Tech's $800 gaming rig, (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1822641,00.asp) and then I read the whole article about overclocking the Pentium 805 D. Also SLI caught my eye but now i'm not sure what to get. If anyone has some suggestions I would appreciate it

My system as of now is
-Shuttle AK32E motherboard
-AMD Athlon XP 1900+
-eVGA GeForce 5200 FX 12MB
-1 Gig of RAM

wingsofzion

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Hmm, well since your looking to upgrade and not build a new system i'd upgrade your PSU and your vid card. Maybe even bump your memory to 2GB. Looks like your mobo is AGP so I'd suggest a Nvidia 7800GS card. But to run that you'll need a PSU with a min of 350 watts. No idea what kinda PSU you have in your system but it'll need upgrading to support this card. Card retails for about $250 to $300 or so. I'd suggest a 450W+ PSU to be on the same side to run this card safely. Throw a lil cash at another gig of memory and your all good upgrade wise. If your staying within a $800 budget i'd get maybe a faster cpu, new vid card, new psu and more memory. $800 should be more than enough for this upgrade.

Now if your looking at SLI then your talking a whole new system since your mobo does not support it. If that's the case then i think dropping a good $1000 to $1200 on a new built machine will do you right. You'll do yourself a great service by getting a mobo that supports PCI express (if anything let that me one of the major goals of your upgrade). You may even pull off a pretty good machine for under a grand. Focus on your cpu, vid card, psu, mobo and memory. Take advantage of the price drops for CPU this coming summer. It's a golden time for a new build, don't pass up on it.

If your serious about SLI then your gonna need a much higher wattage PSU. Look at 550w+. My personal opinon on SLI is that get it if you really need it. You said you use this machine to game and basically do all your school work on. So since this is not a primarly a pure ultra gaming rig, going one card for now is my biggest suggestion. Maybe get a SLI mobo and get one card for now and leave the option open for a future 2nd card purchase. Right now a Nvidia 7900GT can handle all games on the market like a champ at very high settings. Don't fall into SLI cause of all the hype. It's a serious investment since you basically will always need to buy two vid cards. Unless you go get a Dual GPU vidcard like the Nvidia 7950, which is a single card that has two GPU's on it. SLI on a single card (but you'll need a SLI mobo to run it proper). It Very expensive investment since the price of the card is $560+.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Unless you want to play 3 year old games, then that rig is for you. Otherwise, i suggest a few upgrades. Dump that Processor and go for a AMD AM2 3800, thats 150 on newegg.com get a Asus M2N-e, im pretty sure thats AM2 compliant, check to be sure. Ill go with wings on the video card, the 7800GS is currently the best AGP card at the moment. Ram, go for 1GB of Corsair PC3200. And PSU, A antec or enermax 450-500W will do fine.

wingsofzion

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Exactly, your current set up will have problems running current games. It'll skate by, bairly, but it'll soon make you want to upgrade. Go with the 7800GS for your current system. If you decide on a new rig all together then go with it's bigger brother the 7900GT. Throw some cash at a new PSU, mem and faster CPU and i promise you'll be fine and stay within a good budget.

Rapier587

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
wow thanks for the suggestions. I also forgot to say that I would be willing to do a new build just to clarify some things.

wingsofzion

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
If thats the case i'd wait till the massive price drops hit on CPU's in the coming weeks ahead. Price a system out then and see where you stand. I'm sure you've been hearing about Conroe and also AMD's price drops on thier AM2 line to match it's new enemy. Take advantage of this little shoot out and come out building a new system.

TRENDING THREADS