Need some advice from Epson Stylus Color 580 owners.

A non-internet enabled friend of mine has this printer. He tells me
that when the paper feeds into the printer it's grabbed by the bottom
right hand corner, pulled askew and crumpled. I looked into the
opening at the top of the printer and see that the next part of the
mechanism down below is not aligned with the opening but is angled
backward increasingly toward the right hand side.
This may be a design feature, perhaps something that comes forward in
operation to cause a single sheet to be fed into the rollers.
Alternatively, it may be damaged. If this secondary section is meant
to be aligned with the top opening, this may account for the small
rectangular hole in the transverse section below it, on the right,
which may have housed a peg or something similar to hold things in
alignment.

I can't give the printer a trial run at present for other hardware
related reasons but some advice on the situation would be appreciated.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.

This problem is usually the result of one of the two paper feed wheels
getting glazed so they aren't applying even pull.

When it gets to this point, you can't feed a cleaning sheet through, so
you have to use something like cosmetic foam applicators attached to a
stick and with some isopropyl alcohol on the swabs, clean the paper take
up wheels.

First do this with nothing in the printer and with the printer off. Then
you may wish to gently apply a back and forth cleaning as you or someone
pushes the eject or paper advance button (with the printer on).

Be careful not to get the swabs caught in the wheels as they move. This
is what I usually suggest against cotton swabs because the fibers come
off too easily.

Once it is fairly clean, let it dry and then try running some bond paper
through. If it works well enough, to get off extra glazing is to send
some absorbent by stiff, UNCOATED paper through the printer that has
been lightly sprayed with ammoniated window cleaner or some isopropyl
alcohol (rubbing alcohol, 70 or 99%, no perfumes or lubricants).
Run it through using the load and paper advance buttons on the front.
Rotate the paper in a couple of directions.

Art

Mike Halmarack wrote:

> A non-internet enabled friend of mine has this printer. He tells me
> that when the paper feeds into the printer it's grabbed by the bottom
> right hand corner, pulled askew and crumpled. I looked into the
> opening at the top of the printer and see that the next part of the
> mechanism down below is not aligned with the opening but is angled
> backward increasingly toward the right hand side.
> This may be a design feature, perhaps something that comes forward in
> operation to cause a single sheet to be fed into the rollers.
> Alternatively, it may be damaged. If this secondary section is meant
> to be aligned with the top opening, this may account for the small
> rectangular hole in the transverse section below it, on the right,
> which may have housed a peg or something similar to hold things in
> alignment.
>
> I can't give the printer a trial run at present for other hardware
> related reasons but some advice on the situation would be appreciated.

On Wed, 11 May 2005 17:50:38 GMT, Arthur Entlich
<e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote:

>This problem is usually the result of one of the two paper feed wheels
>getting glazed so they aren't applying even pull.
>
>When it gets to this point, you can't feed a cleaning sheet through, so
>you have to use something like cosmetic foam applicators attached to a
>stick and with some isopropyl alcohol on the swabs, clean the paper take
>up wheels.
>

>First do this with nothing in the printer and with the printer off. Then
>you may wish to gently apply a back and forth cleaning as you or someone
>pushes the eject or paper advance button (with the printer on).
>
>Be careful not to get the swabs caught in the wheels as they move. This
>is what I usually suggest against cotton swabs because the fibers come
>off too easily.
>
>Once it is fairly clean, let it dry and then try running some bond paper
>through. If it works well enough, to get off extra glazing is to send
>some absorbent by stiff, UNCOATED paper through the printer that has
>been lightly sprayed with ammoniated window cleaner or some isopropyl
>alcohol (rubbing alcohol, 70 or 99%, no perfumes or lubricants).
>Run it through using the load and paper advance buttons on the front.
>Rotate the paper in a couple of directions.
>
>Art

Thanks very much for this detailed advice, It's very encouraging. I'll
follow it in detail.:)
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack