Windows 2000 to 2003 Active Directory Migration

I would like to know the key points in upgrading a Windows 2000 AD to Windows
2003 AD. There is currently no Exchange, that will be added later.

Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about windows 2000 2003 active directory migration

    See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331161
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325379

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "Symbian" <Symbian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to know the key points in upgrading a Windows 2000 AD to
    >Windows
    > 2003 AD. There is currently no Exchange, that will be added later.
    >
    > Thanks!

    "Symbian" <Symbian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I would like to know the key points in upgrading a Windows 2000 AD to
    Windows
    > 2003 AD. There is currently no Exchange, that will be added later.

    Upgrade an existing DC from Win2000 to Win2003

    OR

    Add a Win2003 Server and DCPromo to DC.

    Either way you will be performing ADPrep /ForestPrep
    once for the forest, and ADPrep /DomainPrep once for
    the domain (i.e., one per each domain before that specific
    domain gets a Win2003 DC.)

    This is built-into the upgrade of an existing DC, but you will
    need to run it manually if you go the DCPromo route (of a
    new DC running Win2003 already.)

    Before you can run DCPromo you will need a "clean" AD,
    with no abandoned domains, no abandoned DCs, and with
    full replication -- i.e., if you have removed any DCs without
    telling the other DCs then you must clean that up first.

    DCDiag can check your status.

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

Windows 2000 Microsoft Active Directory Windows