Windows 2000 to 2003 Active Directory Migration

Tags:
  • Windows 2000
  • Microsoft
  • Active Directory
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 5, 2005 11:39:43 AM

I would like to know the key points in upgrading a Windows 2000 AD to Windows
2003 AD. There is currently no Exchange, that will be added later.

Thanks!

More about : windows 2000 2003 active directory migration

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 1:51:33 PM

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331161
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325379

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Symbian" <Symbian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 6DD6D81-8BF9-43F5-91C4-190A46754026@microsoft.com...
>I would like to know the key points in upgrading a Windows 2000 AD to
>Windows
> 2003 AD. There is currently no Exchange, that will be added later.
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 2:53:23 PM

"Symbian" <Symbian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 6DD6D81-8BF9-43F5-91C4-190A46754026@microsoft.com...
> I would like to know the key points in upgrading a Windows 2000 AD to
Windows
> 2003 AD. There is currently no Exchange, that will be added later.

Upgrade an existing DC from Win2000 to Win2003

OR

Add a Win2003 Server and DCPromo to DC.

Either way you will be performing ADPrep /ForestPrep
once for the forest, and ADPrep /DomainPrep once for
the domain (i.e., one per each domain before that specific
domain gets a Win2003 DC.)

This is built-into the upgrade of an existing DC, but you will
need to run it manually if you go the DCPromo route (of a
new DC running Win2003 already.)

Before you can run DCPromo you will need a "clean" AD,
with no abandoned domains, no abandoned DCs, and with
full replication -- i.e., if you have removed any DCs without
telling the other DCs then you must clean that up first.

DCDiag can check your status.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE