Force Removal Problem

I had two DCs, two sites. The upgrade from 2000 to 2003 on the romote
server resulted in a problem which required the DC be demoted. The problem
also required a dcpromo /forceremoval option.

After that I followed the KB artcle to perform a metadata cleanup and it ran
succesfully with a dialog box stating the cleanup of the DC was complete.

However, if I perform a "dsquery server" to display all DCs, this server
still is listed. Running a DCDIAG on the remaining DC has no errors, all
tests pass. If I run DCDIAG on the demoted server, that fails as expected,
as it is no longer a DC.

So why the conflict between these two apps? Why does dsquery still list the
demoted server as a DC. A third server, a member server, does not show up
with "dsquery server", which is correct.

Can I manually remove all references in AD to the demoted server after I
power off?

dave Admin

You will have to use ADSI Edit to manually remove the Domain Controller
object for the DC.
That was the only container that needed direct editing in my experience.
The other references can be removed through standard tools like NTDSUtil.exe
and the Sites & Services MMC.