Password Change Help

I have a large and complex environment with several domains in the forest.
After bringing a dc online that was down for a few weeks, users that have
been given the account operator privileges are no longer able to change
passwords for users.

Full administrators are able to do this, but the end users are getting an
Access Denied message.

They are able to contact the correct PDCe and NSLOOKUP gives them the
correct addresses for GCs and domains.

Suggestions?

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

What's your environment (DC running 2000 or 2003, SP level)? Did you delegate
permissions using Delegation Control wizard?

smo

"Ryan Hanisco" wrote:

> I have a large and complex environment with several domains in the forest.
> After bringing a dc online that was down for a few weeks, users that have
> been given the account operator privileges are no longer able to change
> passwords for users.
>
> Full administrators are able to do this, but the end users are getting an
> Access Denied message.
>
> They are able to contact the correct PDCe and NSLOOKUP gives them the
> correct addresses for GCs and domains.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> --
> Ryan Hanisco
> MCSE, MCDBA
> FlagShip Integration Services
> Chicago, IL

All,

Actually what is happening is that existing accounts cannot be managed.
These helpdesk users can create new accounts, change their passwords, and
delete the accounts.

So... what gives?

--

"Ryan Hanisco" <rhanisco@flagshipis.com> wrote in message
>I have a large and complex environment with several domains in the forest.
>After bringing a dc online that was down for a few weeks, users that have
>been given the account operator privileges are no longer able to change
>passwords for users.
>
> Full administrators are able to do this, but the end users are getting an
> Access Denied message.
>
> They are able to contact the correct PDCe and NSLOOKUP gives them the
> correct addresses for GCs and domains.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> --
> Ryan Hanisco
> MCSE, MCDBA
> FlagShip Integration Services
> Chicago, IL

The primary DCs are 2000 SP4 but the one we brought up again is 2003 gold.
The accounts are members of Account Operators... not a delegated scope of
management.

The Account Operators can manage 80% of the objects but some are read only
and they get the Access Denied Error.

This is not an error with versioning. This is something to do with domain
convergence in either the AD or DNS. I am trying to nail it down to What
and Why.

--

"SMO" <SMO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What's your environment (DC running 2000 or 2003, SP level)? Did you
> delegate
> permissions using Delegation Control wizard?
>
> smo
>
> "Ryan Hanisco" wrote:
>
>> I have a large and complex environment with several domains in the
>> forest.
>> After bringing a dc online that was down for a few weeks, users that have
>> been given the account operator privileges are no longer able to change
>> passwords for users.
>>
>> Full administrators are able to do this, but the end users are getting an
>> Access Denied message.
>>
>> They are able to contact the correct PDCe and NSLOOKUP gives them the
>> correct addresses for GCs and domains.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> --
>> Ryan Hanisco
>> MCSE, MCDBA
>> FlagShip Integration Services
>> Chicago, IL

Not sure if this is related, but if it seems to be an intermittent permission
problem on the Account Operators, check the ACL. You may want to check this
KB out:

smo

"Ryan Hanisco" wrote:

> The primary DCs are 2000 SP4 but the one we brought up again is 2003 gold.
> The accounts are members of Account Operators... not a delegated scope of
> management.
>
> The Account Operators can manage 80% of the objects but some are read only
> and they get the Access Denied Error.
>
> This is not an error with versioning. This is something to do with domain
> convergence in either the AD or DNS. I am trying to nail it down to What
> and Why.
>
> --
> Ryan Hanisco
> MCSE, MCDBA
> FlagShip Integration Services
> Chicago, IL
>
> "SMO" <SMO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > What's your environment (DC running 2000 or 2003, SP level)? Did you
> > delegate
> > permissions using Delegation Control wizard?
> >
> > smo
> >
> > "Ryan Hanisco" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a large and complex environment with several domains in the
> >> forest.
> >> After bringing a dc online that was down for a few weeks, users that have
> >> been given the account operator privileges are no longer able to change
> >> passwords for users.
> >>
> >> Full administrators are able to do this, but the end users are getting an
> >> Access Denied message.
> >>
> >> They are able to contact the correct PDCe and NSLOOKUP gives them the
> >> correct addresses for GCs and domains.
> >>
> >> Suggestions?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ryan Hanisco
> >> MCSE, MCDBA
> >> FlagShip Integration Services
> >> Chicago, IL

Smo,

This is not really applicable, but I appreciate the effort.

Thanks so much.

--

> Not sure if this is related, but if it seems to be an intermittent
> permission
> problem on the Account Operators, check the ACL. You may want to check
> this
> KB out:
>
> smo
>
> "Ryan Hanisco" wrote:
>
>> The primary DCs are 2000 SP4 but the one we brought up again is 2003
>> gold.
>> The accounts are members of Account Operators... not a delegated scope
>> of
>> management.
>>
>> The Account Operators can manage 80% of the objects but some are read
>> only
>> and they get the Access Denied Error.
>>
>> This is not an error with versioning. This is something to do with
>> domain
>> convergence in either the AD or DNS. I am trying to nail it down to What
>> and Why.
>>
>> --
>> Ryan Hanisco
>> MCSE, MCDBA
>> FlagShip Integration Services
>> Chicago, IL
>>
>> "SMO" <SMO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > What's your environment (DC running 2000 or 2003, SP level)? Did you
>> > delegate
>> > permissions using Delegation Control wizard?
>> >
>> > smo

How many "weeks" was that dc offline, there is a time limit where you can
cause problems bringing back a dc after so many days!

--
BRIAN EDWARDO
> Smo,
>
> This is not really applicable, but I appreciate the effort.
>
> Thanks so much.
>
> --
> Ryan Hanisco
> MCSE, MCDBA
> FlagShip Integration Services
> Chicago, IL
>
> "smo" <smo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Not sure if this is related, but if it seems to be an intermittent
>> permission
>> problem on the Account Operators, check the ACL. You may want to check
>> this
>> KB out:
>>
>> smo
>>
>> "Ryan Hanisco" wrote:
>>
>>> The primary DCs are 2000 SP4 but the one we brought up again is 2003
>>> gold.
>>> The accounts are members of Account Operators... not a delegated scope
>>> of
>>> management.
>>>
>>> The Account Operators can manage 80% of the objects but some are read
>>> only
>>> and they get the Access Denied Error.
>>>
>>> This is not an error with versioning. This is something to do with
>>> domain
>>> convergence in either the AD or DNS. I am trying to nail it down to
>>> What
>>> and Why.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ryan Hanisco
>>> MCSE, MCDBA
>>> FlagShip Integration Services
>>> Chicago, IL
>>>
>>> "SMO" <SMO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

It is not past the tombstone date. I label servers with the down date
when I take them offline.. Besides, then you get tombstone errors in the
event logs. I am seeing none of that.

--

"BCE" <dirwolf@speakeasy.net> wrote in message
> How many "weeks" was that dc offline, there is a time limit where you can
> cause problems bringing back a dc after so many days!
>
> --
> BRIAN EDWARDO
> "Ryan Hanisco" <rhanisco@flagshipis.com> wrote in message
>> Smo,
>>
>> This is not really applicable, but I appreciate the effort.
>>
>> Thanks so much.
>>
>> --
>> Ryan Hanisco
>> MCSE, MCDBA
>> FlagShip Integration Services
>> Chicago, IL
>>
>> "smo" <smo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Not sure if this is related, but if it seems to be an intermittent
>>> permission
>>> problem on the Account Operators, check the ACL. You may want to check
>>> this
>>> KB out:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=817433
>>>
>>> smo

Hey Ryan,

Have permissions be changed? It sounds like the existing accounts are no
longer inheriting permissions.

Or (worse), have these people been added to protected groups?!?

--
Paul Williams
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services