OCZ/Asus A8n Issue...and a couple of questions about ram

koga

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2002
Currently I have 3gb of ram in my box. 2gb of ocz pc400 platinum, and 1gb of geil. when i run cpu-z it says the ocz is clocked at 2.5-3-2-5, and the geil is 2.5-4-4-8. I'm not sure of the terminology here, but will the geil slow down the ocz? should I take out the geil? or is it okay to have 2 different kinds of ram with 2 different clock speeds

koga

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2002
if there is any slowing down, it would be the OCZ matching the higher timings of the Geil set. Remember, the lower the timings, the better.

thanks for the post, yeah I know the lower the better, and thats what I was asking, would the geil make my ocz slower? I thought it may be capped by the highr number, however cpu-z shows that it's clocked 3-2-5, even though cpu-z shows it's clock as that might it still be capped by the 4-4-8 on the geil.

also when i took the geil out of slot 3 and 4 and installed the ocz into those slots and only had ocz running, my internet explorer would crash repeatedly. So i put back in the geil 2x512 into 3 and 4 and put the ocz into 1and2 and ie works fine.

HA_ZEE

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Some of the motheboard manufacturers require you to put the ram in slots one and two first otherwise system might not boot. Also, if you mix rams with different timings in dual channel mode they will operate at the slower timings, not sure though what happens if you put slower timed ram in slots three and four with quicker timed ram in slots one and two.

On the A8N-SLI, in order for ram to operate in dual channel, it's needs to be in slots 1-3, and 2-4. Put the OCZ in 1 and 3, and (if you don't mind the OCZ relaxing it's timings) the Geil in 2 and 4. If you find that it's noticably slowing down, take out the Geil set.

koga

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2002
On the A8N-SLI, in order for ram to operate in dual channel, it's needs to be in slots 1-3, and 2-4. Put the OCZ in 1 and 3, and (if you don't mind the OCZ relaxing it's timings) the Geil in 2 and 4. If you find that it's noticably slowing down, take out the Geil set.

thats how I have it, cpu-z says that slots 1 and 3 are reall 1 and 2. Like if you're looking at my cpu the one closest to tht is slot 1, then you skip a slot and thats slot 2. But physically it looks like slot 1 and 3 for the ocz(2x1gb)and 2 and 4 for the geil(2x512gb).

What would be a good test to see if the geil was slowing down the ocz. I mean it is 3gb's of ram, it's pretty fast as it is, but I do want it at peak.

koga

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2002

thats how I have it, cpu-z says that slots 1 and 3 are reall 1 and 2. Like if you're looking at my cpu the one closest to tht is slot 1, then you skip a slot and thats slot 2. But physically it looks like slot 1 and 3 for the ocz(2x1gb)and 2 and 4 for the geil(2x512gb). And at first, I took out the geil, which was the only ram in it. It was in slots 3&4, or physically 2&4, and replaced it with the ocz in the same slots 2&4. It boots fine, everything looks and runs great except Internet explorer crashes repeatedly. So I took that out and replaced it with the geil in the same slots and the ocz in 1&2. Now everything works and it has 3gb of ram in it.

I just dropped $190 on the ocz though and I want it at peak.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
You have knocked yorr ram out of DUAL Chanel with the odd number of chips. Populate 1 & 3 (should be the same color) with the match set for best performance. Dual chanel means it can read & write both chips at the same clock cycle, meaning your double the speed. With the 3rd chip installed you are giving up 1/2 your band width. Running slower than with 2 chips.

koga

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2002
yeah prophecy is right, 4 sticks total. I think I'm going to just keep it like it is. To the naked eye it's pretty damn quick, and it works. Thanks for all of the input though Prophecy and the rest of you.