Configure Secondary Active Directory domain

Hi,

I have a primary 2000 domain. I need to install a additional domain
controller. how should i configure this? i tried running DCpromo and adding
the machine to existing domain. But it said that the exsiting domain could
not be contacted. The network connection is working fine.I am unable to ping
my primary domain. Pls tell me the solution guys.... thanks in advance.....

Venkat
2 answers Last reply
More about configure secondary active directory domain

    The new computer has to use the IP address of the existing DNS server in the
    domain for DNS in its TCP/IP properties. While you are on it, make sure you
    also uncheck the "use lmhosts" option.

    --

    Sincerely,
    Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
    "Venkat" <Venkat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a primary 2000 domain. I need to install a additional domain
    > controller. how should i configure this? i tried running DCpromo and
    > adding
    > the machine to existing domain. But it said that the exsiting domain could
    > not be contacted. The network connection is working fine.I am unable to
    > ping
    > my primary domain. Pls tell me the solution guys.... thanks in
    > advance.....
    >
    > Venkat

    Hi,

    LMHOST is enabled. I have added the existing domain's ip in the new domain
    machine's dns address. But it is not working. I am not even able to ping the
    Fully qualified domain name. I checked and found that even the domain clients
    are not able to ping the FQDN. I think there is some serious issue in the
    DNS. Please give me a solution....

    "Deji Akomolafe" wrote:

    > The new computer has to use the IP address of the existing DNS server in the
    > domain for DNS in its TCP/IP properties. While you are on it, make sure you
    > also uncheck the "use lmhosts" option.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
    > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    > www.readymaids.com - we know IT
    > www.akomolafe.com
    > Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about
    > Yesterday? -anon
    > "Venkat" <Venkat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a primary 2000 domain. I need to install a additional domain
    > > controller. how should i configure this? i tried running DCpromo and
    > > adding
    > > the machine to existing domain. But it said that the exsiting domain could
    > > not be contacted. The network connection is working fine.I am unable to
    > > ping
    > > my primary domain. Pls tell me the solution guys.... thanks in
    > > advance.....
    > >
    > > Venkat

Domain Configuration Active Directory Windows