howto set MD4 NT Hash in AD and/or Local SAM

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Does ANYBODY know how to set the MD4 NT Hash in AD and/or the local SAM??? I
can find and was successful at setting the old DES style password using
NetUserSetInfo - but this does not work for the new MD4 NT hash! It seems
pointless to still offer a way to set the DES password, but not the new "gold
standard" MD4 password...

The reason, in case anyone is wondering, is that I have a need to update AD
as a secondary repository of account information and we can only get the
MD4's not the cleartext password to update.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

I think, only linux/dos boot 3.5 with ntpasswd, allows to enter hash
manually.
"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does ANYBODY know how to set the MD4 NT Hash in AD and/or the local SAM???
> can find and was successful at setting the old DES style password using
> NetUserSetInfo - but this does not work for the new MD4 NT hash! It seems
> pointless to still offer a way to set the DES password, but not the new
> "gold
> standard" MD4 password...
>
> The reason, in case anyone is wondering, is that I have a need to update
> AD
> as a secondary repository of account information and we can only get the
> MD4's not the cleartext password to update.
>
> Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I can't believe that the only way to import the MD4 into Active Directory is
through DLL injection - after all, don't the Samrxxxxx functions only work on
a local SAM database? What API's are used to "duplicate" or "replicate"
password changes from one DC to another?

Basically, I am looking for something that is Microsoft approved and not a
klouge - not to mention the fact that it needs to be supported since we will
depend on this as our only method of setting and modifying passwords in the
domain...

Thanks for the response, though!
Michael