Duke Dren & House Hlaalu problem

(*some spoilers here if you are new to the game*)

Hello,
I recently killed Orvas Dren after he told me he made a deal with Dagoth
Ur. This paved the way for my becoming Hlaalu Hortator. After this, I went
to see Duke Dren, just to find out if he was pissed about my killing his
brother. Surprisingly, he was not only OK with it, he made me Grandmaster
of House Hlaalu! Cool. However, when I go check the factions part of my
player stats, I am only a Retainer in House Hlaalu. What's up with that? I
was not a member of House Hlaalu before talking to Duke Dren. Did I need to
be a member of House Hlaalu in order for the Grandmaster thing to actually
work?
While I was looking at my faction stats, I also see that I am a
Traveller in the Blades, despite Caius saying he advanced me to Operative
before he left for Rome or Trantor or Coruscant or whatever the Imperial
Capital is called...

Anyone had a similar problem and know a workaround?

Thanks.

--
Rick Cavalla
rac22@NO.erols.SPAM.com

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 05:00:24 -0400, Rick Cavalla <rac22@erols.com> wrote:

> (*some spoilers here if you are new to the game*)
>
> Hello,
> I recently killed Orvas Dren after he told me he made a deal with Dagoth
> Ur. This paved the way for my becoming Hlaalu Hortator. After this, I
> went to see Duke Dren, just to find out if he was
> pissed about my killing his brother. Surprisingly, he was not only OK
> with it, he made me Grandmaster of House Hlaalu! Cool. However, when I
> go check the factions part of my player stats, I am only a Retainer
> in House Hlaalu. What's up with that? I was not a member of House
> Hlaalu before talking to Duke Dren. Did I need to be a member of
> House Hlaalu in order for the Grandmaster thing to actually work?

That is a bug within the game. I believe that it was corrected by a
patch. I don't know how to erase your membership, but since it doesn't
get you into trouble, I'd leave it as it is.

> While I was looking at my faction stats, I also see that I am a
> Traveller in the Blades, despite Caius saying he advanced me to
> Operative before he left for Rome or Trantor or Coruscant or whatever
> the Imperial Capital is called...

Strange. You can solve this one, though. Open the console (I hope you
are playing on a PC, XBoxes don't feature the console) by pressing ~
(^ on german keyboards) and type the following line:
PCRaiseRank
If that fails (never did it before), try:
PCRaiseRank "Blades"
That command should promote you by one rank every time you enter it.

"Bjoern Liffers" wrote:
> Strange. You can solve this one, though. Open the console (I hope you
> are playing on a PC, XBoxes don't feature the console) by pressing ~
> (^ on german keyboards) and type the following line:
> PCRaiseRank
> If that fails (never did it before), try:
> PCRaiseRank "Blades"
> That command should promote you by one rank every time you enter it.

Thanks, Bjoern. This made an Operative in Blades. I also used this trick
to move me up to Grandmaster in House Hlaalu. I was not a member of any
Great House before talking to Duke Dren, so being Grandmaster of Hlaalu
should not interfere with anything.

--
Rick Cavalla
rac22@NO.erols.SPAM.com

Bjoern Liffers wrote:

> That is a bug within the game. I believe that it was corrected by a
> patch. I don't know how to erase your membership, but since it doesn't
> get you into trouble, I'd leave it as it is.

The Readme file coming with the 1.2 patch (and following patches) states
this bug is fixed. However, it is not fixed, the problem persists in the
patched game. I have been running with the patch since character
creation, already was Telvanni member and this dialog option of Duke
Dren still made me join House Hlaalu. Alas, the bug isn't fixed. But
this isn't a too critical problem, avoiding the one dialog option isn't
too difficult.

I don't know if this will cause any problems later on, I restored an
earlier savegame to avoid being member of two houses.

Peter

TRENDING THREADS