XP Home and Pro SP2 Popup Blocker

I'm beginning to think the popup blocker is a menace. I have it disabled
under my Tools \ Internet Options \ Security \ Custom Lever \ Use Popup
Blocker
AND I have it turned off at Tools \ Turn off Popup Blocker AND the Show
Information Bar . . . . IS disabled
and yet -

The popup bar still shows and it shows when I simply open an htm file on my
system - one that I authored.

I didn't beta test this new sp2 but I've tested past Operating systems and
upgrades there to and It's quite obvious to me that SP2 does indeed have
some bugs in it.

I could site a couple more but this is not the time.

Why isn't the popup blocker disabled/turned off when I have it set such?
Please NO lectures about security. I understand that issue just as well as
anyone that wants to reply such. I'm talking about a disabled/turned off
popup blocker functioning when I open a file that's on my computer!

More about home popup blocker

    Neo,

    Information bar may be displayed for many occasions (not only for pop-ups).

    Allow active content to run in files on My Computer - Windows XP Service
    Pack 2:
    http://www.winxptutor.com/lmzunlock.htm

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    "Neo Anderson" <n.anderson@morpheus.con> wrote in message
[...]

    All understood. However active content can't be the issue. The file is a
    simple .htm file that only has a background color, 10 words of text and an
    image (.jpg of a scanned painting). If I share the folder and access the
    file over my network from my other computer, that one doesn't seem to have
    an issue with the file.

    I'm beginning to get the idea that Microsoft's idea of 'security' is to just
    simple put bars and fences around everyone's computer and then try to
    convince us how secure we are and how great they are for providing it.

    > Neo,
    >
    > Information bar may be displayed for many occasions (not only for
    > pop-ups).
    >
    > Allow active content to run in files on My Computer - Windows XP Service
    > Pack 2:
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/lmzunlock.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "Neo Anderson" <n.anderson@morpheus.con> wrote in message
    > I'm beginning to think the popup blocker is a menace. I have it disabled
    > under my Tools \ Internet Options \ Security \ Custom Lever \ Use Popup
    > Blocker
    > AND I have it turned off at Tools \ Turn off Popup Blocker AND the Show
    > Information Bar . . . . IS disabled
    > and yet -
    >
    > The popup bar still shows and it shows when I simply open an htm file on
    > my
    > system - one that I authored.
    >
    > I didn't beta test this new sp2 but I've tested past Operating systems and
    > upgrades there to and It's quite obvious to me that SP2 does indeed have
    > some bugs in it.
    >
    > I could site a couple more but this is not the time.
    >
    > Why isn't the popup blocker disabled/turned off when I have it set such?
    > Please NO lectures about security. I understand that issue just as well
    > as
    > anyone that wants to reply such. I'm talking about a disabled/turned off
    > popup blocker functioning when I open a file that's on my computer!

    Hey Neo,

    you've disabled the pop-up blocker by doing the following?
    "Tools \ Internet Options \ Security \ Custom Lever \ Use Popup
    AND I have it turned off at Tools \ Turn off Popup Blocker AND the Show
    Information Bar . . . . IS disabled"

    i tried this for ages and the blocker just kept on coming >> eventually, i
    realised that i needed to "re-enable" active content in the advanced tab and
    not only the security tab. so, try: Tools / Internet Options / Advanced tab
    >> then scroll down to the Security section of the list. Select the Allow
    active content to run in files on My Computer

    this worked for me and finally i am rid of that annoying pop-up blocker!

    rose

Windows XP