Sign in with
Your question

$50 PSU recommendations

Last response: in Systems
July 15, 2006 3:20:41 PM

i hope i wrote recommendations right..lol

well im gonna be getting a new pc, and i was wondering whats teh best PSU for $50, preferably 40 plus shipping, if u have any good recommendations that have rebate im fine.. i have been recommended the FSP/SPARKLE 400w PSU, im planning on getting an x1800xt with a dual core cpu, thanks!

More about : psu recommendations

July 15, 2006 3:35:34 PM

you pay for what you get
July 15, 2006 3:38:16 PM

Quote:
you pay for what you get

hmm that was a big help
Related resources
July 15, 2006 4:16:00 PM

new egg has a thermaltake 430watt for 30 bucks
it has alot of good reviews
you might think about it
July 15, 2006 4:22:32 PM

You're just going to hose yourself and set yourself up for a nice 5 second toaster brought to you by your PSU and whatever components it fries. You need to find a quality PSU brand and get a PSU at 400w to 500w for around $80 to $100. Antec, OCZ, and Seasonic.

Therefore, my $50 PSU recommendations are none.

The PSU is like the chassis of your car. It dictates how much cool crap you can put in it/on it. If you get a hummer chassis and engine and just put a neon on it, you can definitely add everything you want, but if you get a neon chassis and engine and put a hummer on it, then you're going to blow the engine and kill your dinky tires from all of that weight -- just like your PSU. Don't get a neon...
July 15, 2006 4:55:41 PM

what about this PSU
July 15, 2006 5:03:28 PM

There's more than a little truth in what tyr86 says. However, if you are bound and determined to spend around $50 on a power supply, the smartest way to do it is to scan the big name places like newegg, zipzoomfly, tigerdirect, and even radioshack.com every day or two, looking for a rebate and/or combo deal.
For example, earlier this week, radioshack.com had closeout Ultra x connect 500W PS for $10 after rebate. Sure, it has a failure rate, but while it's working, it's pretty decent and better than most $40 power supplies.
Another example: tigerdirect.com had the abit NI8 SLI motherboard plus an Ultra X2 connect 550W PS (their latest high-end model) in a bundle for $110 total.
You'll have to be patient, but there's a good chance you can eventually find what you're looking for.
July 15, 2006 5:07:58 PM

Quote:
There's more than a little truth in what tyr86 says. However, if you are bound and determined to spend around $50 on a power supply, the smartest way to do it is to scan the big name places like newegg, zipzoomfly, tigerdirect, and even radioshack.com every day or two, looking for a rebate and/or combo deal.
For example, earlier this week, radioshack.com had closeout Ultra x connect 500W PS for $10 after rebate. Sure, it has a failure rate, but while it's working, it's pretty decent and better than most $40 power supplies.
Another example: tigerdirect.com had the abit NI8 SLI motherboard plus an Ultra X2 connect 550W PS (their latest high-end model) in a bundle for $110 total.
You'll have to be patient, but there's a good chance you can eventually find what you're looking for.

true, im prolly gonna get it off newegg because there i can combien the shipping with ALL of my other components, because im just gonna get all my components off newegg, and i was looking and theres was a coolmax 80 dollar psu with a 50 dollar rebate, but it expired, and sometimes they expire but within weeks they put a same one on that same product... im in no hurry i have a few months :D 
July 15, 2006 5:08:08 PM

That would work as a bare minimum, but if you decide to go SLI or get 4 or 5 HDDs or water cooling, you'll have to upgrade to stay on the safe side.

I was going to cite this brand, but I keep mixing them up with Fortran.

My new rig I'm building is going to have 600w because I want the options of SLI and water cooling available to me down the road.
July 15, 2006 5:11:40 PM

Quote:
That would work as a bare minimum, but if you decide to go SLI or get 4 or 5 HDDs or water cooling, you'll have to upgrade to stay on the safe side.

I was going to cite this brand, but I keep mixing them up with Fortran.

My new rig I'm building is going to have 600w because I want the options of SLI and water cooling available to me down the road.

i already know im not gonna sli, because im not even getting an sli mobo, im just getting this pc with the money i sell my current pc for (its crap, but i live in a foreign country where i can sell it for like 750 bucks, and yes my bro is going to the states, thats how im getting my pc off newegg).. i dont have a lot of money so i cant afford water cooling, sli or anything like that... and i cant sli if im going for an x1800xt.. and to Xfire that u need to spend a million bucks for the master edition
July 15, 2006 5:32:57 PM

Choose carefully. I just checked out a computer from a customer who's budget supply just took out his motherboard, CPU, memory, and critically injured his video card.
He had some very nice components until I checked the supply. He told me he wanted to buy Oblivion so he didn't have enough for a good power supply.
I'm happy to report that his game wasn't injured, and it won't likely get injured cause he's got nothing to play it on.
Memorial Services will be held on Monday, we can bury it all in one box to keep his costs down.
July 15, 2006 6:21:27 PM

lol
July 15, 2006 7:26:04 PM

I laughed too, just not while I was on the phone giving him the diagnosis.
I should write a book on the stuff I've seen people do with and to computers.
!