Sign in with
Your question

SATA Hard-drive Error

Last response: in Storage
July 15, 2006 3:29:56 PM

My friend asked me If I can post this for him, it's some hard-drive issue after mine fried, lol.

Quote:
Hi, I just bought a new SATA drive and installed it. When I first installed the hard drive, I formatted the hard drive using computer management as dynamic disk. I then saved all my data onto the SATA drive. I then decided to format my master drive because it was getting slow. Now that my master drive is formatted, it seems that I cannot open my SATA drive. It says that it cannot be read.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

More about : sata hard drive error

a b G Storage
July 15, 2006 8:30:26 PM

I think he is screwed. Its like deleting the primary partition before deleting the extended partitions, they are related to each other in some way.
Has he tried disk management to see if it can see it?
July 15, 2006 9:07:19 PM

Assuming he reinstalled windows on the original drive, the new sata would show as a foreign drive in disk management, he just needs to right click the drive and click import foreign disk. If that doesn't work, try to remove the old hd and install windows on the new sata WITHOUT formating it, if that works his drive is fine and he needs to most likely install windows on his old drive without the new one in, then install the new one and do as above with foreign disk import.
July 15, 2006 9:40:22 PM

Quote:
Assuming he reinstalled windows on the original drive, the new sata would show as a foreign drive in disk management, he just needs to right click the drive and click import foreign disk. If that doesn't work, try to remove the old hd and install windows on the new sata WITHOUT formating it, if that works his drive is fine and he needs to most likely install windows on his old drive without the new one in, then install the new one and do as above with foreign disk import.

This is the error he gets

Michaelahess: Can you PM me your AIM/MSN, my friend want's to talk to you.
!