adprep /domainprep fails

magoo

Distinguished
May 28, 2004

After doing "adprep /forestprep successfully", I go to the Infrastructure
Master (Win2000 SP4) and do
adprep /domainrpep but I keep getting error:
"Adprep was unable to complete because the call back function (null)
failed."

Magoo wrote:
> After doing "adprep /forestprep successfully", I go to the Infrastructure
> Master (Win2000 SP4) and do
> adprep /domainrpep but I keep getting error:
> "Adprep was unable to complete because the call back function (null)
> failed."

Could you provide us with more details - there should be Status message
or can you check adprep.log which should be in subdirectory of
%systemroot%\system32\debug\adprep\

--
Tomasz Onyszko [MVP]
http://www.w2k.pl

magoo

Distinguished
May 28, 2004

I ran this from the infrastructure master. Netdiag and dcdiag didn't return
any error that I can see.

LDAP API ldap_search_s() finished, return code is 0x0

Adprep checked to verify whether operation
cn=6ff880d6-11e7-4ed1-a20f-aac45da48650,cn=Operations,cn=DomainUpdates,cn=Sy
stem,DC=it,DC=mycompany,DC=org has completed.

[Status/Consequence]

The operation GUID already exists so Adprep did not attempt to rerun this
operation but is continuing.

Adprep was about to call the following LDAP API. ldap_search_s(). The base
entry to start the search is
cn=446f24ea-cfd5-4c52-8346-96e170bcb912,cn=Operations,cn=DomainUpdates,cn=Sy
stem,DC=it,DC=mycompany,DC=org.

LDAP API ldap_search_s() finished, return code is 0x20

Adprep verified the state of operation
cn=446f24ea-cfd5-4c52-8346-96e170bcb912,cn=Operations,cn=DomainUpdates,cn=Sy
stem,DC=it,DC=mycompany,DC=org.

[Status/Consequence]

The operation has not run or is not currently running. It will be run next.

Adprep was unable to complete because the call back function (null) failed.

[Status/Consequence]

Error message: Windows cannot determine existing permissions on Group Policy
Object Directory
<C:\WINNT\SYSVOL\sysvol\it.mycompany.org\Policies\{F1FF1E05-F2DF-4DDA-B704-7
890B9348416}>. Upgrade of Domain Group Policy Objects failed. (Access is
denied. )

[User Action]

Check the log file Adprep.log, in the
C:\WINNT\system32\debug\adprep\logs\20050509141845 directory for more
information.

Adprep was unable to update domain-wide information.

[Status/Consequence]

Adprep requires access to existing domain-wide information from the
infrastructure master in order to complete this operation.