Domain does not exist or could not be contacted

Machines seem to have a problem browsing the directory. It most cases
the error that is generated when trying to open up the Admin tools or
trying to add users/groups to our ISA Proxy server is:

"Naming information cannot be located because: The Specificed domain
either does not exist or could not be contacted. Contact your system
administrator to verify that your domain is properly configured and is
currently online."

I press ok (after chosing Admin Tools which are loaded on a
worksatation) and the MMC comes up with the Users/Computers snap-in
loaded but a red x over the directory icon. I right click on that and
choose "Connect to Domain" then it gives you the option to put in a
domain name or click the Browse button. I click the browse button and
after a while (about 20 seconds), the domain shows up in the list but,
it is text only. THe three computers domain icon that would normally
show up next to the text is missing. I select the text anyway and I get
a similar error:

"The domain domain.local could not be found because:
The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."

Then, if I right click on the Active Directory Users and Computers
directory icon again and this time chose "Connect to Domain Controller",
and then I put in the nearest domain controller (dc1, which was the
first one we installed so should be the operations master), the domain
controller loads and so does the directory underneath it and everything
seems fine then.

Although browing the directory or searching the directory via My Network
Places is much slower than it should be, I am able to do so. I can't,
however, select Entire Directory to do a search. I must specifically
select the domain underneath it (we only have one domain) then do a
search to get results. I didn't have to do that before.

This problem has become a major issue and this coming weekend we're
going to demote all the domain controllers except dc1 and uninstall DNS
then repromote the DCs and reinstall DNS. This was a recommendation from
a 3rd party who came in and poked around.

Has anyone ever encountered an error similar to this? If so, what action
was taken to resolve the issue(s)?

Thanks,
Jim

> "Naming information cannot be located because: The Specificed domain
> either does not exist or could not be contacted. Contact your system
> administrator to verify that your domain is properly configured and is
> currently online."

Do you have a DNS server set up for the AD domain?
If so does this server point to the DNS server set up for the AD domain?

Naming information can not be located usually means the computer displaying
the message is not pointed to the DNS server that holds the SRV records for
the domain. Pointing it to your ISP's DNS server would cause this error. Or
pointing it to the correct DNS server but the DNS server does not have the
SRV records registered.

hth
DDS W @k MVP MCSE

Danny Sanders wrote:
>>"Naming information cannot be located because: The Specificed domain
>>either does not exist or could not be contacted. Contact your system
>>administrator to verify that your domain is properly configured and is
>>currently online."
>

> Do you have a DNS server set up for the AD domain?
> If so does this server point to the DNS server set up for the AD domain?
>
> Naming information can not be located usually means the computer displaying
> the message is not pointed to the DNS server that holds the SRV records for
> the domain. Pointing it to your ISP's DNS server would cause this error. Or
> pointing it to the correct DNS server but the DNS server does not have the
> SRV records registered.
>

> hth
> DDS W @k MVP MCSE

We have four domain controllers, one at each of four sites (listed in
sites). Each domain controller has DNS installed and it is AD Integrated.

The DNS of our workstations are pointed to DC1 and a second DC for the
secondary DNS.

I can't imagine this helps you any since it doesn't do much to help me
either.

I will look and make sure all the proper srv records are intact.