Raid 0 installation Question

jthunder

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Can I take an extisting single drive system, back this up using ghost to a usb drive, install the second SATA drive (SIL 3114 on an A8N-SLI Premium). Configure Raid 0 on the drives, then restore the ghost image to the Raid volume?

Thanks.

JT

jthunder

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
I guess my question is more simple.

Can I switch from a one-disk system (sata/NTFS volume) to a Raid 0 (striped) without loosing any data, and maintaining a bootable system?

Is there a way to do this with the Nvidia forceware/mediashield software?

Thanks

BushLin

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Can I take an extisting single drive system, back this up using ghost to a usb drive, install the second SATA drive (SIL 3114 on an A8N-SLI Premium). Configure Raid 0 on the drives, then restore the ghost image to the Raid volume?

Thanks.

JT
You've kinda answered your own question. Anyway...
Yes, you can but when making the ghost image choose partition rather than disk as it can be auto resized when you restore it. Ghost supports USB drives so no need to load up dos drivers. If you're a cautious kind of person you might want to verify the image before trashing the data,

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006

You probably can do this procedure and get your original Windows partition back on the RAID like this, but I think the problem is that it's not gonna boot.

That Windows installation assumes that it's booting off your old storage controller (probably standard IDE drivers), and it doesn't have the RAID drivers installed to enable it to boot off the RAID.

It's possible that you could boot the Windows XP CD after you get the partition restored to the RAID and do a recovery installation, installing the RAID drivers, but I've never tried that before so I don't know if it will work.

Probably the best bet is to backup your data, configure your RAID, reinstall Windows with the RAID drivers using the F6 procedure, then restore your data and reinstall apps once Windows is up and running.