DC Not replicating after being shutdown for a while

Need help. One of my DC's has been down for more than a month, we need to
power up that dc. The problem is that he is not able to replicate with the
other ones. I heard that if a DC was down for more than a period of time,
there is some registry changes that need to be done.

Does anybody have a clue ??

Thank you
3 answers Last reply
More about replicating shutdown while

    You will probably need to use Netdom to reset the secure channel between
    this DC and the other ones. Most likely the computer account is now out of
    date. What errors do you get during replication?

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    "Jose Abitbi" <JoseAbitbi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Need help. One of my DC's has been down for more than a month, we need to
    > power up that dc. The problem is that he is not able to replicate with the
    > other ones. I heard that if a DC was down for more than a period of time,
    > there is some registry changes that need to be done.
    >
    > Does anybody have a clue ??
    >
    > Thank you

    I get the error 1126 and 1311 in my event viewer in the Directory services tab.

    > I get the error 1126 and 1311 in my event viewer in the Directory services
    tab.

    If you have reach tombstone lifetime without replicating
    (60 days) then the DC should NEVER again be replicated
    and will refuse to do so.

    You are likely best off doing what I term a "DCPromo cycle":
    DCPromo to non-DC, then (optionally) DCPromo back to a
    (new) DC.

    You will likely need to use the DCPromo /ForceRemoval switch,
    and afterward perform an NTDSUtil "metadata cleanup".

    NTDS metadata cleanup

    Search Google for:

    [ NTDS "metadata cleanup" remove DC Domain ]

    No need to add either site:microsoft.com OR microsoft:
    since the NTDS and other terms make it Microsoft specific
    by itself.

    Unless you WISH to restrict answers to the site:microsoft.com
    for some reason.

    [ NTDS "metadata cleanup" remove DC Domain site:microsoft.com ]

    Key points to NOTE when doing the metadata cleanup:

    You CONNECT to a WORKING DC.
    You SELECT the missing/dead DC or DOMAIN

    'Connect' and 'Select' are technical terms in this context.

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

    "Jose Abitbi" <JoseAbitbi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I get the error 1126 and 1311 in my event viewer in the Directory services
    tab.

    > "Scott Harding" wrote:
    >
    > > You will probably need to use Netdom to reset the secure channel between
    > > this DC and the other ones. Most likely the computer account is now out
    of
    > > date. What errors do you get during replication?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Scott Harding
    > > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    > > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
    > >
    > > "Jose Abitbi" <JoseAbitbi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Need help. One of my DC's has been down for more than a month, we need
    > > > power up that dc. The problem is that he is not able to replicate with
    the
    > > > other ones. I heard that if a DC was down for more than a period of
    time,
    > > > there is some registry changes that need to be done.
    > > >
    > > > Does anybody have a clue ??
    > > >
    > > > Thank you

Microsoft Shutdown Active Directory Windows