Cannot Promote to Domain Controller

One DC, two member servers, all Server 2003. Need to promote a member
server to a DC before moving to a remote site.

DCPROMO runs without errors until it returns an "Access is Denied" message
telling me I don't have the correct rights. Also that AD does not have
access to access server "SERVERNAME$"

I find nothing on the 'net about this.

How do I promote this server?

dave Admin
3 answers Last reply
More about cannot promote domain controller

    Look at the 'trusted for delegation' rights!

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24012

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "dave Admin" <dmackler@mds.acsol.net> wrote in message
    > One DC, two member servers, all Server 2003. Need to promote a member
    > server to a DC before moving to a remote site.
    >
    > DCPROMO runs without errors until it returns an "Access is Denied" message
    > telling me I don't have the correct rights. Also that AD does not have
    > access to access server "SERVERNAME$"
    >
    > I find nothing on the 'net about this.
    >
    > How do I promote this server?
    >
    > dave Admin

    Thanks Cary,

    It was the KB ARTicle 232070. Added the users, reboot the DC, and the
    DCPROMO worked.

    Seems like a bug in Server2003 to me.

    dave Admin

    "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Look at the 'trusted for delegation' rights!
    >
    > --
    > Cary W. Shultz
    > Roanoke, VA 24012
    > Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >
    > http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    > http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >

    > "dave Admin" <dmackler@mds.acsol.net> wrote in message
    >> One DC, two member servers, all Server 2003. Need to promote a member
    >> server to a DC before moving to a remote site.
    >>
    >> DCPROMO runs without errors until it returns an "Access is Denied"
    >> message telling me I don't have the correct rights. Also that AD does
    >> not have access to access server "SERVERNAME$"
    >>
    >> I find nothing on the 'net about this.
    >>
    >> How do I promote this server?
    >>
    >> dave Admin

    Admin Dave,

    You are welcome. It is a problem that has been around for awhile. I am not
    so sure that it is an bug in WIN2003. With which user account object were
    you attempting to run the dcpromo process?

    Anyway, glad that you were able to resolve this problem.

    --

    > Thanks Cary,
    >
    > It was the KB ARTicle 232070. Added the users, reboot the DC, and the
    > DCPROMO worked.
    >
    > Seems like a bug in Server2003 to me.
    >
    > dave Admin
    >

    > "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Look at the 'trusted for delegation' rights!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cary W. Shultz
    >> Roanoke, VA 24012
    >> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >>
    >> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    >> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >>

    >> "dave Admin" <dmackler@mds.acsol.net> wrote in message
    >>> One DC, two member servers, all Server 2003. Need to promote a member
    >>> server to a DC before moving to a remote site.
    >>>
    >>> DCPROMO runs without errors until it returns an "Access is Denied"
    >>> message telling me I don't have the correct rights. Also that AD does
    >>> not have access to access server "SERVERNAME$"
    >>>
    >>> I find nothing on the 'net about this.
    >>>
    >>> How do I promote this server?
    >>>
    >>> dave Admin

Servers Domain Controller Active Directory Windows