Cannot Promote to Domain Controller

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 10, 2005 5:03:30 PM

One DC, two member servers, all Server 2003. Need to promote a member
server to a DC before moving to a remote site.

DCPROMO runs without errors until it returns an "Access is Denied" message
telling me I don't have the correct rights. Also that AD does not have
access to access server "SERVERNAME$"

I find nothing on the 'net about this.

How do I promote this server?

dave Admin
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 1:01:43 AM

Look at the 'trusted for delegation' rights!

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24012

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"dave Admin" <dmackler@mds.acsol.net> wrote in message
> One DC, two member servers, all Server 2003. Need to promote a member
> server to a DC before moving to a remote site.
>
> DCPROMO runs without errors until it returns an "Access is Denied" message
> telling me I don't have the correct rights. Also that AD does not have
> access to access server "SERVERNAME$"
>
> I find nothing on the 'net about this.
>
> How do I promote this server?
>
> dave Admin

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 10:31:51 AM

Thanks Cary,

It was the KB ARTicle 232070. Added the users, reboot the DC, and the
DCPROMO worked.

Seems like a bug in Server2003 to me.

dave Admin

"Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o hLMEUcVFHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Look at the 'trusted for delegation' rights!
>
> --
> Cary W. Shultz
> Roanoke, VA 24012
> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
>
> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
>

> "dave Admin" <dmackler@mds.acsol.net> wrote in message
>> One DC, two member servers, all Server 2003. Need to promote a member
>> server to a DC before moving to a remote site.
>>
>> DCPROMO runs without errors until it returns an "Access is Denied"
>> message telling me I don't have the correct rights. Also that AD does
>> not have access to access server "SERVERNAME$"
>>
>> I find nothing on the 'net about this.
>>
>> How do I promote this server?
>>
>> dave Admin

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 1:08:07 PM

Admin Dave,

You are welcome. It is a problem that has been around for awhile. I am not
so sure that it is an bug in WIN2003. With which user account object were
you attempting to run the dcpromo process?

Anyway, glad that you were able to resolve this problem.

--

!