Help!!! Computer turns itself on!!!

fanboys_must_die

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
This problem started all of a sudden two days ago.

Yes. My Computer turns itself on.

Further clarification on my situation.

My Computer works absolutely fine EXCEPT that it automatically starts up from bootup everytime I power down, whether it is Windows/Physical Shutdown or Standby.

It usually stays off for a couple of seconds, before magically turning itself on again. Before it turns on again, I hear a motherboard CLICK.

Here are the Awardpost Codes I see:

Powerdown (F.) ---> Click (.2) ---> Boot Up (8.3)... and then it starts up normally.

I turned off all the Wake-on functions in the BIOS, as well as Power On after Failure. I don't have any viruses or spyware, not that I know of, at least.

Whats wrong?

spanishfleee

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
hmmm seems odd maybe it is short cuirciting it's self on?? it could be the on/off switch isnt working properly. look for anywhere that evidently shows ant problems such as this?

sturm

Splendid
Try disconnecting the power switch from the motherboard and see if it still does it. If you know which plug to pull you can do it when the computer is running. Just be carefull not touch the board at all and ground yourself on the case before touching the wires.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
This problem started all of a sudden two days ago.

Yes. My Computer turns itself on.

Further clarification on my situation.

My Computer works absolutely fine EXCEPT that it automatically starts up from bootup everytime I power down, whether it is Windows/Physical Shutdown or Standby.

It usually stays off for a couple of seconds, before magically turning itself on again. Before it turns on again, I hear a motherboard CLICK.

Here are the Awardpost Codes I see:

Powerdown (F.) ---> Click (.2) ---> Boot Up (8.3)... and then it starts up normally.

I turned off all the Wake-on functions in the BIOS, as well as Power On after Failure. I don't have any viruses or spyware, not that I know of, at least.

Whats wrong?

You have got a ghost inside. :p

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Try disconnecting the power switch from the motherboard and see if it still does it. If you know which plug to pull you can do it when the computer is running. Just be carefull not touch the board at all and ground yourself on the case before touching the wires.

...or u can flip the switch on ur PSU.

IdiotNewb

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
There should be a setting in the bios you can set so it won't do that. Both mine and my brothers computers used to do that and I had to set a switch. It has something to do with a server setting.

Mifffo

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006

you say not to touch the board at all, well the mobo surface is coated so even if you put a copper wire over the tracks nothing would happen, well the legs of componets arent coated tough, but still you as a human will lead such an indefinetly small currect that it wont affect the system what so ever. but if you mean it incase someone is charged to some hundred thousand volts and happens to touch the motherboard then thatd not be so good. but aslong as youw grounded yourself before hand.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Try reseting/default mode on your bios with the jumper or by removing power and battery. Leave it for several minutes and replace the battery again and power it up and shut it down to see if the problem is fix.

PhearChyld

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
You may have an option in the BIOS to turn on when it gets a signal from the net or modem.

look for anything that says Power on ring or somthing like that.

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
1. Check if it still restarts after disconnecting the power switch
2. Check in the BIOS power options if that it's not enbaled the "Resume previous state" or similar option

mandark357

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Try this solution:

Windows XP restarts unexpectedly or restarts when you shut down the computer. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320299/

Its possible that its a windows setting that needs to be addressed. Good luck.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
This has happened to me before. It turns out that the issue was with the power supply. After I upgraded to a heftier power supply, the computer would shut down correctly.

I was running an Athlon XP 3200, Radeon 9800 pro, Audigy 2, 2x512 DDR400, 3 hard drives, and an Asus a7n8x deluxe mobo...all on an antec 350w psu that came with the lanboy case(wouldn't reccommend this case, either....the cooling is terrible).

I upgraded to an Antec 480w psu as I switched to a lian li pc-75 case...and all of a sudden the mysterious booting up after a full shutdown went away.

johnmar33

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
1.) go to the nearest church and ask a priest to come over your house... then let the exorcism begin

2.) seek help from ghostbusters :p

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Given the fact that the problem started only a couple of days ago and presuming you've been running your computer for at least a few months, the most likely reason for the spontaneous restart is a faulty power supply.

If this is a new computer you've just put together a few weeks ago, then the suggestions given by others about possible BIOS settings being responsible is definitely a possibility. I just wanted to add that in that case another possibility is simply having the switch connection to the motherboard inverted. In other words, unplug the cable pair that goes from the switch to the motherboard and plug it back flipped. I had a machine restart spontaneously because of that. If that doesn't make the problem go away, I'd say the prime suspect is the power supply.

Good Luck.

dimwhited

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
If its a new computer, or you just installed a new peice of hardware, your computer could be turning on when it gets input

Mine does this all the time... but i want it to, so its no problem for me :)

Try disconnecting every input device except for your mouse. this includes keyboard, modem, ipod... any USB device with 2 way connectivity (some printers...)

click turn off, then unplug your mouse, so you have ABSOLUTELY NO input into your pc (btw if you have a wireless card take that out too)

if your computer turns on afterwords, then it is almost certainly the power supply, because nothing is telling your computer to turn on.

Good luck with your problems, and as others have said, a good temporarty fix is the switch on your power supply! It wont solve the problem but your electricity bill will certainly thank you :D

Naw-yi

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
its your power supply.

sounds like u got a emachine? ive done alot of psu swapouts on them for that same problem. :)

dont worry dude, a cheap fix. :D

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I've seen the problem on more than one machine and it was never a power supply problem. I'm not saying it's not a PS problem, just that it doesn't have to be.

It's also not the switch connector being flipped around, it will work either way, it's just a switch.

The Soft Power switch is connected to the motherboard. One pin is ground the other is monitored by the PSU via the ATX connector, when you press the power switch the PSU see the PS-ON (pin 14 on a 20 pin ATX connector) go low, this causes the PSU to come out of Standby and turn on. If the switch was faulty and intermittently placing the monitoring pin to ground, in Windows it would keep putting your system in Standby or Hibernation (unless you have these Power Save features turned off in Windows). If this isn't happening and you have these Power Saving features enabled, it isn't the switch. If you want to check the switch, I believe someone already mentioned this, pull the connector of the Soft Power switch off the motherboard while your powered up (there isn't any danger). Then shut down your computer, if it restarts, it's not the switch.

If you have ruled out all the Power On settings in your BIOS, you may have to try another PSU. There are lots of settings in the BIOS that could be restarting your computer such as Wake on LAN, or it could be waking on an input device such as your mouse.

duffy07

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I've had the same problem for months.... well since i got a new computer.
I've got an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum motherboard, which i was convinced was somehow the problem. I originally had it replaced but it made no difference.
But today, with a bit of trial and error work on the BIOS I've fixed the problem! No more leaning over to flick the power supply switch off for me!
The specific option in the BIOS was in Power Management -> ASPI Standby state. This was on Auto, with the other options being S1 and S3. You can read up in the manual what these fantastic options achieve, but at the end of the day only one of them doesnt restart the computer 5 seconds after i turn it off! The S1 option seems to have fixed the problem. Other brand motherboards might have a similar option?

I found this thread on google when trying to find a way of fixing the problem, so i just thought I'd post this here in case this helps anyone else!

busygamer01

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Go to your BIOS and you'll find a setting there that enables this to happen and disable it. Or try to update your BIOS, it could be related to your mobo. Or it could be your psu. Or it could spyware. :D