Choosing a b/w laser printer

My old Samsung laser printer has died so I now am looking at lower priced
laser printers.

I see in the local (Canadian) market that there are a few to choose from.
HP, Konica, Brother and Samsung. Today I saw the Konica 1350W on sale for
$99, the HP LJ 1012 for $180, Samsung 1740 for $200 and the Brother HL2040
for $230. Is there any reason not to buy the Konica 1350? I print about
2000 pages a year and I know the toner cost of the HP is somewhat less than
that of the Konica.

Any feedback on quality (print and mechanical robustness) or software
differences.

mike

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Michael
Ibekieve that the HP1012 is in the process of being replaced by (Ithink the
1020 or 1022) you may wish to check that. From what I have sen there is little
difference in the new models except interface types and speed of print, worth a
quick check. Canadian modles may change at a different time to other
geographies so you may wish to look globally for information on the new models.
In my opinion the brother printer is less robust than the other makes but I
have to say that I see very few Konicas. Also please check the cost of
ownership, price of toner replacement etc in Canada.
Tony

"Michael Hopper" <mikehopper@rogers.com> wrote:
>My old Samsung laser printer has died so I now am looking at lower priced
>laser printers.
>
>I see in the local (Canadian) market that there are a few to choose from.
>HP, Konica, Brother and Samsung. Today I saw the Konica 1350W on sale for
>$99, the HP LJ 1012 for $180, Samsung 1740 for $200 and the Brother HL2040
>for $230. Is there any reason not to buy the Konica 1350? I print about
>2000 pages a year and I know the toner cost of the HP is somewhat less than
>that of the Konica.
>
>Any feedback on quality (print and mechanical robustness) or software
>differences.
>
>mike

davy

Joined: 30 Apr 2005
Location: Nr Manchester. UK

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:03 pm Post subject: Re: is samsung
b&w laser printer good for printing envel Reply with quote
I have a Samsung ML1510 (Don't laugh) it's only an 'El Cheapo',
actually I was looking for a replacement for the dreaded Epson C62
and came across this at Dabbs Computers, Bolton, UK for about £48 -
and it proved to be a real work horse, I got this initially to make
printed circuit boards by using 'Toner Transfer paper' and does a
remarkable job infact the C62 is just ornament now as it does almost
everyhting.

It has already had two toner refill's, I found I could refill the
toner for about £6 instead of replacing the entire toner unit for
around £60.

Decide on the model and check the following and you can save a lot of
money by getting refills instead of toner cartridge unit, which
incidentally contains the drum unit, hence the expense..

http://www.refilltoner.com/samsungRefillCom.html

The site not only tells you the models that are refillable but
explains and shows how to do it.

This particular one does crease the envelopes slightly in one corner -
DON'T TAKE THIS AS SAYING THAT ALL OTHER MODELS ARE THE SAME, this is
after all an 'El Cheapo' but the text is crisp as can be expected, so
you really would need to check this point, I would expect a reasonably
priced printer be able to cope in this respect and not have this
problem, no doubt I'm gonna' get told to use laser lables....!

Another thing before we get told it ain't a laser printer (as we know
them) it's actually a LED (light emitting diode) printer, a laser is
only polarised light afterall no matter what the light source, but is
usually at the red end of the light spectrum running into the
infra-red - akin to the laser unit in a CD/DVD player.

I only wished I bought it before the C62.....!

Cheers Davy
Back to top

Just copied from an earlier reply - hope u don't mind
cheers Davy

Michael Hopper <mikehopper@rogers.com> wrote:
> My old Samsung laser printer has died so I now am looking at lower priced
> laser printers.
>
> I see in the local (Canadian) market that there are a few to choose from.
> HP, Konica, Brother and Samsung. Today I saw the Konica 1350W on sale for
> $99, the HP LJ 1012 for $180, Samsung 1740 for $200 and the Brother HL2040
> for $230. Is there any reason not to buy the Konica 1350?

That "W" after the model number indicates it's a Winprinter, with almost
zero on-board brains. Also called "host-based", these printers are
often difficult to network. Because the rendering takes place on the
host computer, it can slow other programs you have running while
printing is taking place.

User reviews at computers.com can be useful. Ignore the editorial
reviews, though. There are some interesting comments on the 1350W.

Before buying a new low-end printer, check your local classifieds and
thrift shops for a used HP business model, one that doesn't feed paper
from the top. You may find a much better printer for the same amount of
money, or even less.