XP home can indeed connect to NT4 domain - will it connect..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.active.directory.interfaces,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows (More info?)

Hello. I run a 75-client Windows network with an NT4 domain. Domain
controller is also a fileserver.

Some people have laptops, and they can access the fileserver WITHOUT
joining the domain... they just type \\fileservername, then a "logon"
pops up, they type their domain account info, and they're connected to
the domain controller / fileserver for that session. This works even if
they're running XP Home Edition (which doesn't come with "join a domain"
capability)

Now I'm upgrading to Windows Server 2003... will these laptops still be
able to connect to the new AD-Controlled domain and fileserver, or,
unlike with NT4 domain, will they *need* to join the domain first?

I'm asking because for some of my users, their laptops work fine with XP
Home, provided when I upgrade the NT4 domain to a 2003 domain, they can
still authenticate without actually "joining" the domain.

Thanks for any advice!

--Mike

---
*If you want to email me directly, simply remove all instances of the
letter "x" from my email address.

http://www.usenet.com
1 answer Last reply
More about home connect domain connect
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.active.directory.interfaces,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows (More info?)

    Sure. It's never been any different. They just need to manually enter a
    valid domain username and password whenever they access a file share and
    everytime they connect to a printer. This is a pain, but it gets it done.
    What they can't do is be assigned things like logon scripts, group policies,
    OU membership, etc that make administration of a network manageable.

    ....kurt

    "Mike Sampieri" <xkmorgan6xx4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello. I run a 75-client Windows network with an NT4 domain. Domain
    > controller is also a fileserver.
    >
    > Some people have laptops, and they can access the fileserver WITHOUT
    > joining the domain... they just type \\fileservername, then a "logon"
    > pops up, they type their domain account info, and they're connected to
    > the domain controller / fileserver for that session. This works even if
    > they're running XP Home Edition (which doesn't come with "join a domain"
    > capability)
    >
    > Now I'm upgrading to Windows Server 2003... will these laptops still be
    > able to connect to the new AD-Controlled domain and fileserver, or,
    > unlike with NT4 domain, will they *need* to join the domain first?
    >
    > I'm asking because for some of my users, their laptops work fine with XP
    > Home, provided when I upgrade the NT4 domain to a 2003 domain, they can
    > still authenticate without actually "joining" the domain.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice!
    >
    > --Mike
    >

    > ---
    > *If you want to email me directly, simply remove all instances of the
    > letter "x" from my email address.

    > http://www.usenet.com

Domain Active Directory Connection Windows XP Windows