Please take a look at this.

k-

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
Im thinking about buying one of these two,

E6300 paired up w/ 7600gt ($428)

or

Athlon 3k+ paired up w/ 7900gt ($408)

which one would perform better in gaming and multitaking stuff?

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
the athlon, not because IT is better but because the 7900gt is nuch better than the 7600gt, because GPU's are more influecial to performance than CPU's.

EDIT: sorry i missed the multi tasking, um, first what kind of multitasking? like word and music or games and encoding at same time? the intel one is dual core i think, but is that athlon a dual core? if it is, the athlon will be good for multitasking and even better for games.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
yeah man.. i'm using a friggin p2 366mhz from 98' until soon, and the only thing i can't do is play new games. i can do everything else i need to do, albeit slowly as hell, but it works, so 2 years for that for sure.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
GPU upgrade is easy....CPU, Motherboard, RAM - that's major.

Get the Core 2 system, you'll thank yourself when in a year or so and you want to get the best out of your system you only have to buy a new graphics card rather than a whole new system.

chewbenator

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
We'll if you go with the 3800 dual core they price will drop to about 150 when conroe lets loose. Then, the 6300 will retail for what 180? It's a tough draw if you aren't looking at an upgrade path (which might make it even more difficult) I would suggest reading over conroe and seeing if the benefits are enough to warrent a small increase in price. (I think yes)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130033

Make sure you go with this card to ensure you don't have to RMA eVGA revised the board to prevent problems other people have had with the higher 7 series cards.

the_guru

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
GPU upgrade is easy....CPU, Motherboard, RAM - that's major.

Get the Core 2 system, you'll thank yourself when in a year or so and you want to get the best out of your system you only have to buy a new graphics card rather than a whole new system.
Not really, If he picks an AM2-system he only need to upgrade mobo+CPU and that is cheaper than upgrading a graphics card.

k-

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
EDIT: sorry i missed the multi tasking, um, first what kind of multitasking? like word and music or games and encoding at same time? the intel one is dual core i think, but is that athlon a dual core? if it is, the athlon will be good for multitasking and even better for games.

um yeh, like word,music,internet,and burning stuff at the sametime type of multitasking.

x2 3800+ would be pretty nice
but my budget fits either of those two.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
ok, i just made the same type of decision a few minutes ago, go with AM2. That processor will be good for a while, and i believe, taking a risk, that AMD will come back on top next year. So, get a cheap processor now, and then rock conroe later lol. OH NO, started flaming ah. Not a fanboy here, just thats what i think will happen.