Sign in with
Your question

P5W DH Deluxe Conroe Compatibility

Last response: in Motherboards
July 15, 2006 10:29:45 PM

Okay I've been searching for ages for a straight answer to this.

Will the Asus P5W DH Deluxe support Conroe?

I've already ordered the board, the processor, RAM, GFX card etc. etc. but a note has been added on the website I bought it all from that says the BIOS may need updating before I can use my Conroe.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue...

Now, I don't have a spare 775 CPU lying around, and I don't really want to go through any hassle with Asus, so what's the deal here? The Asus website says it supports Conroe, and people say it does on various forums. Here and there though, I have read that the BIOS is outdated.

I still have some time to change the order before it ships, so should I go with it, or go for something else?
July 15, 2006 10:55:51 PM

I believe it comes with a BIOS that does not the support engenreeing samples, but will support the retail chips. It says Core 2 Duo support right on the box!
July 15, 2006 11:02:42 PM

Okay, cool. Can anyone confirm this? I'm gonna be well annoyed if it arrives and won't work.

Are you going for a P5W DH too? (Looking at your sig).
Related resources
July 15, 2006 11:05:08 PM

The only two retail chips I have seen posted were on bad axes :( 
July 18, 2006 3:04:40 AM

P5W DH Deluxe is now the only i975X (third party) Chipset that supports Conroe. According to Intel Compatibility of the processors, Other manufacturers has to change the PCB of i975X Chipset. Most of them are testing in progress.
July 24, 2006 10:32:01 AM

Even if there is a BIOS issue, ASUS should release an updated BIOS which if you get on a friend's PC and put onto a USB flash drive, then you can update. Latest ASUS boards allow you to USB update your BIOS without need to boot into an OS.

In any case, as already mentioned, this board is marketed specifically for its Core 2 Duo/Conroe compatibility. It's the voltage regulators that support the Core 2 Duo. Not every 975X board has the new voltage regulator standard. Every P965 will support Core 2 Duo. I am going for the P5B Deluxe because the chipset is newer, optimised for Core 2 Duo and DDR2 800MHz and I don't need Crossfire/SLI. Although we will need to wait until someone can show benchmarks proving which chipset is best for Core 2 Duo between the 975X and P965 (without considering overclocking). Perhaps there will be no measurable difference.
July 29, 2006 1:45:57 PM

I'm looking at P5B DLX as well, would be interested in any benchmarks etc although I haven't found anywhere actually selling in stock boards yet so may not be out.
July 29, 2006 2:34:29 PM

I've got an ASUS p5w dh deluxe and I'm currently using a pentium 805D while I wait for my E6700 to arrive. It says VERY clearly on the box it's compatible with the core 2 duo...BUT it ISN'T until you update the BIOS to version 502. No big deal if you did what I've done but if you've bought the board with a Core 2 duo?!!! I don't know if you can update a bios without a CPU in it(Anyone?), but that seems a bit bloody cheeky to me!

Maybe I could rent out my spare 805 so people can do BIOS updates? £10 a day anyone?
:D 
July 29, 2006 2:36:56 PM

I noticed Core 2 Duo on the P5W DH CPU support list--BIOS 0701 or newer.
July 29, 2006 3:40:17 PM

You are indeed correct :oops: 

I'd better update :D 
July 29, 2006 3:42:14 PM

Monday I get my E6300 from ZZF! I'll have a 540 to sell dirt cheap.
July 29, 2006 5:26:48 PM

Quote:
I've got an ASUS p5w dh deluxe and I'm currently using a pentium 805D while I wait for my E6700 to arrive. It says VERY clearly on the box it's compatible with the core 2 duo...BUT it ISN'T until you update the BIOS to version 502. No big deal if you did what I've done but if you've bought the board with a Core 2 duo?!!! I don't know if you can update a bios without a CPU in it(Anyone?), but that seems a bit bloody cheeky to me!

Maybe I could rent out my spare 805 so people can do BIOS updates? £10 a day anyone?
:D 

0502? That bios version shouldn't support the Retail Conroes. (At least according to ASUS)
July 29, 2006 6:12:38 PM

Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86GHz,1066FSB,L2:2MB,rev.B2) ALL 0701

Core 2 Duo E6400 (2.13GHz,1066FSB,L2:2MB,rev.B2) ALL 0701

Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.40GHz,1066FSB,L2:4MB,rev.B2) ALL 0701

Core 2 Duo E6700 (2.66GHz,1066FSB,L2:4MB,rev.B2) ALL 0701

Core 2 Extreme X6800 (2.93GHz,1066FSB,L2:4MB,rev.B2) ALL 0701

According to Asus you need bios revision 0701 as stated above. I'd check with your retailer and make sure that this mb has that bios revision otherwise it won't recognize the cpu and you won't be able to update. Five months ago I bought the P5n32 and it did not have the updated bios needed for 9xx series pentium D, even though website stated the mb now supported it. People sell what they got in stock, before they get around to reording the updated boards, so I'd definately ask whoever I buy it from.
August 2, 2006 10:32:19 AM

i just bought this board and had a look at the bios chip

this is what was on it

wdho9
0701 - (i guess thats the bios version number')
b896
f1 13

so this would mean that my pc will boot, but i will have to update it via the flash drive to 0901version of which i just downloaded onto my lexar flash drive.

my question is when do i update in the bios settings stage or after i load up windows?

another question is the g-skill ddr2 800 2x 1gb ram going to be compatible as its not on the qualified vendors list.

all of this if the E6600 cpu ever arrives!

lol

fila
August 2, 2006 1:26:49 PM

I'm useing 0701 with a E6300 now.
August 2, 2006 2:08:28 PM

Anandtech has an article called the Conroe buying guide, and the Asus P5W-DH Deluxe was the mobo of choice. So it should support it, or at least all you need is to flash the bios...

I think you can flash a bios without a HDD... just need the floppy drive or maybe USB... haven't tried though... /shrug
August 2, 2006 2:13:01 PM

I do like the P5W DH, but much like Anantechs E6300/E6400 review mine seems so have hit a wall at 370MHz. :( 
I hope a new BIOS helps.

Sound is awesome, and the I/O has everything. Still the DS3 looks like a better overclocker.
August 3, 2006 6:13:17 PM

From Eastcoasthandle @ XtremeSystems
Quote:
If you are a converter from AMD it's best to call tech support and ask for a Bios dept, they will send you a new bios chip for $5 shipping or $20 to overnight it. Call 502-995-0883 then hit 0 for the operator and ask for the bios dept.
If you don't reach her leave your name and direct phone number. She says they do return calls.

I called, and well I got it free, she needed Visa or Mastercard, I only had Discover on me, so told her i'd call back once I grabbed one of those, she said don't worry she'd just ship it out free, yay!
August 3, 2006 10:26:24 PM

I'm tempted to do that just so I'd have two.
August 4, 2006 1:19:07 PM

This may have been posted already but could not find this so please don't flame...................thanks................

Some recent info...................hope this helps someone...........

Just got off the phone with Asus tech support. It is 9:00AM Aug 4th as I type this........................

The tech told me if I am using the E6600 processor then I need at least bios version 0801 for it to post properly.

The good news is, they are sending me the new bios chip under warranty flashed with 0801 for FREE! I did an upgrade to next day air so as to get it here quicker. Will have to pay for the next day air but if you choose regular ground then they pay the shipping.

Just give tech support a call and there will be no need to worry about flashing yourself in order to get things up and running!

Phone number to tech support is 1-502-995-0883.

In my opinion at least..................this experience with Asus tech support has to rank as perfect! Very knowlegable, friendly and helpful!

As I said..................hope this helps?

Lenny
August 4, 2006 2:29:44 PM

Absolutely! I have mine up and running on beta BIOS 901 ASUS has available on their download site.
August 4, 2006 5:10:59 PM

Well, I got my X6800 CPU a couple of days ago. At first I e-mailed Asus Germany about the BIOS upgrade, and they said they don't do it, I have to contact my retailer. I brought it to a local shop then to upgrade to version 0901. And ... it doesn't work, still no picture when booting with the X6800 installed. Does anyone have a X6800 running with this board?
August 4, 2006 5:16:59 PM

My C2D is X6400 w/ the current or beta BIOS 0901, so I have no idea on what's going on other than a incompatability issue with the chip and the BIOS and or mobo. Good luck!
August 4, 2006 6:57:11 PM

Depending on which bios your board has it may need updating to be compatable. You need another CPU in the board in order to be able to do this though like a celeron.
August 4, 2006 7:39:30 PM

Yea, I know, I've already updated the BIOS to 0901 beta and it still won't work. I guess the CPU must be broken somehow.
August 4, 2006 8:02:42 PM

What are the specs of your computer, see if I can help I am guessing you have tried rebuilding it with all cables. Do you get any beeps, is the motherboard light on?
August 4, 2006 9:29:45 PM

What should I do if I don't have another Socket 775 Proc. to flash the Bios and I got the P5W DH Deluxe for my E6700 ?
:?
August 4, 2006 9:36:00 PM

You will have to go to a computer shop to get them to do it, borrow one or buy a cheap celeron.
August 4, 2006 10:26:17 PM

Thanks for your help nick, but I now just found out what you have to do to get it working! After flashing the BIOS, turn off the PC, disconnect PSU. Now you have to remove the battery from the mainboard, set the CLRTC jumper to the alternate position for a couple of seconds, change it back, put the battery back in and it works.
August 4, 2006 11:06:01 PM

Did you have to do all of that? Where did you find that info, in the manual?
August 4, 2006 11:35:20 PM

Nick, the celeron D processors have a 533Mhz FSB and on my P5W DH Deluxe specification, it says support 800/1066 Mhz FSB...

Is it gonna work anyway?
August 5, 2006 12:15:33 AM

nick: Yea, that was the only way to get it working, I found the solution on another forum. This exact procedure is described in the mainboard manual though, it's only that it doesn't say you have to do it after flashing the BIOS ;) 
August 5, 2006 12:36:33 AM

It should do just because it's not got the FSB rating it should still work. It says on their site under specification for the board "LGA775 socket for Intel® Pentium 4/Celeron CPU"
August 5, 2006 3:07:17 AM

Quote:
This may have been posted already but could not find this so please don't flame...................thanks................

Some recent info...................hope this helps someone...........

Just got off the phone with Asus tech support. It is 9:00AM Aug 4th as I type this........................

The tech told me if I am using the E6600 processor then I need at least bios version 0801 for it to post properly.

The good news is, they are sending me the new bios chip under warranty flashed with 0801 for FREE! I did an upgrade to next day air so as to get it here quicker. Will have to pay for the next day air but if you choose regular ground then they pay the shipping.

Just give tech support a call and there will be no need to worry about flashing yourself in order to get things up and running!

Phone number to tech support is 1-502-995-0883.

In my opinion at least..................this experience with Asus tech support has to rank as perfect! Very knowlegable, friendly and helpful!

As I said..................hope this helps?

Lenny

Is it pretty hard to convice them to ship you a new BIOS chip cuz I'm French from Canada :lol:  and I don't wanna talk forever english with them...
August 5, 2006 3:20:01 AM

I just called them and the guy told me I had to talk with the piece departement or something Monday from 9 am to 6 pm in order to get my new Bios Chip :D 
August 5, 2006 3:27:46 AM

It's so awesome, I'll just need to change the little Bios Chip in 2 min and everything will be updated and ready to start!
August 5, 2006 3:42:08 AM

Yeah I was going to ask them to ship me a new Bios chip. I live in the UK though and it would take ages to get here and can't be bothered to wait so I am just going to flash it when it gets here on monday, can't wait! :D 
August 5, 2006 3:48:34 AM

Is there anything else to do when u change the BIOS chip?

Just switch for the good ship or I need to clear the CMOS with the battery and all after?
August 5, 2006 4:23:17 PM

This might help :wink:. This Guide shows what to do after changing the BIOS
August 5, 2006 8:08:23 PM

K so I only have to change the Bios chip + Clear CMOS after ?

Take off battery - switch jumper position - wait 1 min - put the jumper back as default - put the battery back?

TY
August 6, 2006 12:13:04 AM

Yeah pretty much, I will be following that guide when my stuff arrives on monday :D ! I am going to flash the BIOS not replace it like you though. I am not sure if you will still need to take the battery out and switch the jumper when replacing the bios but I would do it just in case.
August 6, 2006 1:20:42 AM

Nick, if i cannot get my new Bios chip and I buy a cheap celeron to flash my Bios, do u know whats the easiest way?

I'm not very experienced with the DOS mode and I didn't ordered any Floppy Drive on my new PC...

Do you think if I install Windows with the celeron I'll be able to Flash the Bios easily with the software provided with the Mobo?

Also, my Windows XP Pro that I'm looking to install on my new PC is already installed on the computer I'm using atm, Is it gonna cause any troubles if my Windows will be installed on both PC?

TY for your replies :) 
August 6, 2006 1:40:26 AM

The motherboard has a nice feature called EZ Flash which all you have to have is a floppy drive you can put the bios file onto that and it pretty much does it all for you. I wouldn't worry about it though it is pretty simple flashing a bios, the manual usually has something in it to help and if it doesn't then the asus website will help.

Here check at the bottom of the page for ezflash it explains how it is ez
August 6, 2006 3:23:38 AM

Aight I'll simply install the Floppy Drive I got on my computer atm on the new one to flash the Bios then I'll put it back on my old PC.

Anyway if I can get a new Bios Chip it will be 10X easier for me :D 
August 6, 2006 3:25:18 AM

Anyone else called ASUS to get a new BIOS chip? :roll:
August 6, 2006 3:44:38 AM

Lots of people on this thread at overclockers forum have got the updated bios chips from asus. You should be able to get the updated bios chip without too many problems, honestly don't worry about it.

Asus will ship you a new bios chip, because if they don't then they could get sued for false advertising and they wouldn't want that. Just ask nicely and they should ship it to you for free, you might need to send your old bios chip back to them some people do and some don't.
August 6, 2006 4:39:05 AM

Yeah I gotta say I'm a bit stressed since I live in Canada and I payed some stuff of the PC in my Sig...

It's the first time I build my comp. alone and everything seems F*cked atm with the mobo and my E6700 being delayed forever even if I Pre-ordered 16 days ago :S
August 6, 2006 5:07:57 AM

You think thats bad I pre ordered mine on the 23rd of june and all I have so far is the 1900XT which is under my bed, so all I can do is look at it. It's been torturing me taunting me with it's rugged good looks, I'll show it whos boss on monday though its time for some hard core overclocking :twisted:.
!