Remote Procedure Call Failed to Execute

I have 1 forest, 1 domain, adn 3 windows 2003 DC in 3 Seperate Sites
(DC-A, DC-B, DC-C). These sites are connected via high speed lines,
netopia routers and VPN. DC-A holds the master roles for the domain.
Primary DNS on DC-A is pointed to itself. Primary DNS for DC-B and DC-C
are pointing to DC-A(the master). My workstation is located in Site A
and on the same lan as DC-A. Everything has run fine for years.
Suddenly in the last few days the RPC service is failing on DC-B and
thus replication is failing as seen when I run replmon or repadmin
/showreps. The error is "The Remote Procedure Call failed". Other
symptoms are I am unable to open the C:/ drive on DC-B from my
workstation using "\\DC-B\c$" or "\\IP Address\C$" I am a domain admin
and have rights. I can ping DC-B and telnet to the router located at
site B. Another symptom has to do with our OWA(web mail). Site B has an
Exchange server for those users but we have a front end server for Web
mail located at Site A. The user at Site B are no longer to access
there web mail but the user at site A are.

I have rebooted DC-2 and it fixes the problem for a day but then the
RPC fails again in the middle of the night.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is a regression in MS05-019
You need to call MS open a (free) case and get the hotfix KB898060
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898060/

--
Glenn L
CCNA, MCSE 2000/2003 + Security

"Alpine7" <darren@datashock.com> wrote in message
>I have 1 forest, 1 domain, adn 3 windows 2003 DC in 3 Seperate Sites
> (DC-A, DC-B, DC-C). These sites are connected via high speed lines,
> netopia routers and VPN. DC-A holds the master roles for the domain.
> Primary DNS on DC-A is pointed to itself. Primary DNS for DC-B and DC-C
> are pointing to DC-A(the master). My workstation is located in Site A
> and on the same lan as DC-A. Everything has run fine for years.
> Suddenly in the last few days the RPC service is failing on DC-B and
> thus replication is failing as seen when I run replmon or repadmin
> /showreps. The error is "The Remote Procedure Call failed". Other
> symptoms are I am unable to open the C:/ drive on DC-B from my
> workstation using "\\DC-B\c$" or "\\IP Address\C$" I am a domain admin
> and have rights. I can ping DC-B and telnet to the router located at
> site B. Another symptom has to do with our OWA(web mail). Site B has an
> Exchange server for those users but we have a front end server for Web
> mail located at Site A. The user at Site B are no longer to access
> there web mail but the user at site A are.
>
> I have rebooted DC-2 and it fixes the problem for a day but then the
> RPC fails again in the middle of the night.

Thanks Glenn, This sounds like exactly what I was looking for. I failed
to mention that the problem did start a few days after I loaded SP1 for
windows server 2003
You Rock.