New Power Supply in Dell E510

I want to upgrade my power supply in my Dell E510 so I can run a x1900xtx, I want atleast 550 watts and I read it needs a high amp on the 12v. Can anyone recommend any good ones?
22 answers Last reply
More about power supply dell e510
  1. Quote:
    I want to upgrade my power supply in my Dell E510 so I can run a x1900xtx, I want atleast 550 watts and I read it needs a high amp on the 12v. Can anyone recommend any good ones?


    PC Cooling makes psu that work in Dells as well as normal computers (Dell uses custom wired psu's to keep you buying parts only from them).

    PC Cooling also makes the best psu's you can buy....even if they do cost the most.
  2. Dell stopped using proprietary PSUs awhile ago, so shouldn't any ATX PSU work?
  3. as long as its the right size. do u have an ATX or a mATX PSU?
  4. I have no idea? I can't see either of them on the actual PSU, so I'm not sure. A user in another forum with the same model computer used this one:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103932

    and said it worked... so I will probably go with that unless someone else has a better idea.
  5. well, why an XTX??

    get an XT and overclock it save some cash.

    if its a single XTX i'd go with this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103937

    cheaper. modular.
  6. Alright well accourding to the dell boards its a BTX, not ATX, so whats a good BTX power supply around 500 watts?

    Everyone on the dell boards says to use a OCZ modstream, but nearly every review of them on Newegg says they burn out in under 6 months... anyone know if thats true? Any other makers of BTX power supplies that would be better?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104155

    This is the one I was looking at now.
  7. meh, crashman or clueless will come by and say newegg reviewers are stupid.

    i think clueless uses like 5 OCZ PSU's..maybe it was crashman...oh well.

    they dont make BTX PSU's as far as i know...ATX PSU will fit on a BTX mobo
  8. Ya, as far as I know the BTX is just a different motherboard configuration, still uses the same power connections as a ATX.
  9. OCZ and one other maker specifically list theirs as being BTX though, so I went with one of them to be safe.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817711002
  10. BTX there stands for the 8-pin plug i believe
  11. Ahhh, I have also seen "power adapters" online to make ATX PSUs fit BTX boards, so its no big deal I guess.
  12. Quote:
    Ahhh, I have also seen "power adapters" online to make ATX PSUs fit BTX boards, so its no big deal I guess.


    nope. any ATX PSU will be fine.
  13. Now you guys tell me this :) Everyone of the Dell forums swore up and down that I needed one that specified BTX, so I ordered this one:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817711002

    Its still a quality power supply and I don't regret that I bought it, I just could have gotten something that would have worked just as good for less...

    So, do you guys think its worth returning that one to Newegg and getting credit for the difference between that one and the Antec TTP? Or should I just stick with it?
  14. Quote:
    Now you guys tell me this :) Everyone of the Dell forums swore up and down that I needed one that specified BTX, so I ordered this one:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817711002

    Its still a quality power supply and I don't regret that I bought it, I just could have gotten something that would have worked just as good for less...

    So, do you guys think its worth returning that one to Newegg and getting credit for the difference between that one and the Antec TTP? Or should I just stick with it?


    hell no.

    that PSU is ownage. keep it
  15. Just wanted to give a big thanks to everyone on these boards. I just got my PSU today and installed it in about 20 mins. It works great so far and was easy to install.

    Are there any programs I should run to test its stability or anything? I know memtest is good for memory, anything to check a PSU? Or no?
  16. Quote:
    Just wanted to give a big thanks to everyone on these boards. I just got my PSU today and installed it in about 20 mins. It works great so far and was easy to install.

    Are there any programs I should run to test its stability or anything? I know memtest is good for memory, anything to check a PSU? Or no?



    play a game for hours on end and see if the PC restarts
  17. i have an e510, got a coolmaster PS to power my x1950xt, worked fine.
    now i got a 8800gts g92, and i needed more amps on the 12+ rail, so i went high quality with corsair, tx650w .. packaging was sexy, it looks sexy, but it wouldnt power up the system. i thought it was DOA, and returned it, but as i searched i found a good deal and got the corsair vx550w instead. guess what. that did not work either.. what is up with the incompatability with corsairs and btx???
  18. toxxx said:
    what is up with the incompatability with corsairs and btx???

    I don't know
  19. hrm.. interesting

    620HX-- Output <--- yours
    +3.3@24A,+5V@30A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@18A,
    - 12V@0.8A,+5VSB@3A
    550VX-- Output <--- the one i tried in my e510
    +3.3@30A,+5V@20A, +12V@41A,
    -12V@0.8A,+5VSB@3A

    what does the +5v rail do? yours has 10 amps on the one i tried!

    I got an 8800gts g92 512mb upgrade from an x1950xt and needed more amps on the +12v rail, so i wanted to get a good powersupply like a Corsair.. The packaging was sexy, and so was the PS itself.
    Too bad it didnt turn on!
    Oh well, doesnt matter anyhow, i got pissed off and got a quad core and new motherboard to slap in one of the cases laying around, ill just leave this dell for my girl to use since she doesnt "like how slow" my old p4 is .

    spoiled much eh

    just found the box from the PS that is in the dell right now, and it has 45amp! on the +5v

    for anyone looking for a better powersupply in your e510 or 5010
    Coolmax 450w works . only has 17amps on the +12v1 rail and 16 on the +12v2

    mystery solved. thanks
  20. The 5 volt rail rating shouldn't matter, the original 305 watt psu from the E510 only had a 22 amp rating on the 5v rail and it's not like you'd use that much 5v power.
  21. I have a e510 and am looking at the Raidmax Rx-700. Does anyone see a reason this won't work?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152033
  22. Ended up with a Corsair 650w to power my XFX 9800 gt, which at some point I would like to run two. Both work fantastic in the Dell E510.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Dell Components Product