cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I'm new to water cooling and i would like to get it for my custom pc im building, it will have

-Core 2 Duo
-eVGA 7900gt
-ASUS P5WD2-E
-CORSAIR XMS2 1GB

i was wondering which kit would be best, or if not a kit which parts would be best (ive heard buying the parts seperate gives you more bang for your buck).

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Most definitely...

While you will see people who use kits like Bigwater and Evercool, once you've been into watercooling for some time you will find out that your own custom (DIY - Do-It-Youtrself) kits will, ultimately, be your preference. You can mix and match components to suit your cooling needs from CPU, GPU and Northbridge to even voltage regulaters and mosfets. The nice thing, too, is that even though your computer may undergo many upgrades in it's lifetime, most of your watercooling components will still be useable (with the exception of the occassional change due to socket upgrades or GPU configurations).

There are many companies with excellent reputations - whether you go passive cooling (like with Zalman) or with companies like Danger Den or Swiftech.

I use a combinations of products chiefly from Danger Den (excellent GPU and Chipset waterblocks and superior radiators), Swiftech (MCP 655 pump is powerful and oh-so silent and their Swiftech Storm CPU waterblock), Tygon Tubing (1/2 ID 11/16) and assorted custom modified components which I did myself (temp displays, reservoirs, etc.) I have 2 computers - one uses a peltier waterblock (from Swiftech) to cool the CPU and the other one uses the Swiftech Storm CPU waterblock.

You can even acquire some of these parts (at cheaper costs) from places like eBay or through contacts. Kits from places like Swiftech or Danger Den (based ENTIRELY on their products) are nice and very effective but they are usually pretty expensive (for an initial investment).

Performance-PC's - http://www.performance-pcs.com/
FrozenCPU - http://frozencpu.com/
CrazyPC - http://www.crazypc.com/
Danger Den - http://www.dangerdenstore.com/home.php
Sidewinder Computers - http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/index.html

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
what is the difference in the danger den cpu water blocks, the rbx and tdx, one has like another connector, i dont understand why the rbx has 3 tube connectors, also which resevoir would you recomend?

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
It really has to do with preferences.

Some waterblocks have 3 plugs because some people like the flow characteristics it offers - some of the danger den blocks have modifications that allow for increased pressure inside the block (for faster moving water over the surface area) at the expense of a little drop of pressure overall in the system (negligible). The three plug waterblocks allow for one internal guide into the waterblock with two external (typically, leading to a "Y" connector). It has it's uses and effectiveness but, it is in my experience that most of my friends (and probably people on here) use waterblocks with chiefly one intake and one outake plug. You'll find that even most kits use this type of CPU waterblock as well.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
The 3 plug is an older model of DD and while still effective not many choose to go that way. More tubing and hassles as well as another 4 possible leak points.

Ensure that you get a reservoir that is good at removing bubbles. I find that the single 5.25" reservoirs aren't good as the intake and outtake are too close together and can result in bubbles in the system.

I prefer vertical reservoirs like the following.

http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-res-82.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-res-01.html

I have that first one myself, upgraded from a 5.25" res that just sucked. See pic.

7356DSCF0683.JPG

You can see a few little bubbles that were there because I took this picture right after installing it, there are no bubbles at all in it now. That little 2" long tube inside the reservoir keeps the water that is entering the res from the outlet and forces any bubbles in the system upwards.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I like the Apogee... But, you really can't go wrong with either.

Excellent choice of equiptment - I especially like the pumps and rad selection as I use both myself. The pump is so quiet. You can even lie next to it when it is on and still not hear anything. Yet, it is so powerful (317gph). For the reservoir, make sure that you get 1/2 fittings with a g1/4 screw since that's what it uses. I didn't see where they came with it.

RichPLS

Champion
At least look at the BigWater 745 I linked... your system is good, but I doubt the extra $160+ you are paying for with that system will actually cool a degree more than this BigWater 745, which has a dual 120mm radiator and a single 120mm radiator. Also the locking fittings on the BW make leaks less likely...

1002.jpg

1003.jpg

1004.jpg

1006.jpg

1007.jpg

1008.jpg

1009.jpg

1011.jpg

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
All I can give you for advice is this:
Do NOT buy water cooling kits wich have quick-lock or similar hose fittings.
Or Push-on, like Asetek has.

They need to be proper bolted or tightened on with a screw of some sort.
Takes more time to build but it's Definitely worth it, trust me, I had Asetek, never again... -_-

Also, push-on requires stiff hosing, wich tends to be a problem in itself.

RichPLS

Champion
I have the BigWater SE and also the 745.
Neither system leaks... in fact I think it would be hard to make them leak unless manufacturing defect. These fittings are the best in the market, and you can tighten them with a wrench if you must, but I assure you it is not necessary and as leak proof as you can get.

Kits used to suck, but this one broke that stereotype and is actually top notch. and assembly is still required, but you have all the components at hand, no forgetting something and having to re-order a part while your system collects dust... and it costs a lot less this way too.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
If you get that reservoir make sure to get two of these...

http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-tub-116.html

They are what I'm using with that same reservoir.

The big water is fine for CPU only (and maybe one gpu) cooling system but it only uses 3/8" diameter tubing as opposed to the 1/2". The MCP655 also has 3 times the pumping capacity of the pump in the Thermaltake system (which it needs with the 1/2" tubing).

I considered it for about 5 minutes as I'm more into DIY, I liked being able to see the actual data on the various water blocks and rads and choosing the ones I wanted.

Whatever you decide on make sure that you have a decent size case, I would suggest going with a full size / server case but a mid size case will work, you'll just have to mod it more to put the reservoir and radiator outside the case. Whether you get the bigwater (and the 745 is the ONLY kit of that kind I would consider) or something external (like the coolance exos) or DIY, a case like the armor / kandolf / stacker is great.

RichPLS

Champion
I have my BigWater 745 pump and resoirvor internally mounted in my small LianLi PC-60plus case... and the system will cool a graphic card also if you need it, or you can expand it further...
Basically, it is good quality at a great price... and I like mine very much... :wink:

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Ya you can get the small reservoir and pump of the 745 in a mid size case but NOT the 2 x 120mm rad.

Usually with a 2 x 120mm rad it has to sit outside the case, the 745 even comes with feet to rest the rad on your desk but with the cases I mentioned you can put the 2 x 120mm rad inside the case if you wish.

As to the expandability of the 745...

The big water is fine for CPU only (and maybe one gpu) cooling system

If you are just entering the water cooling area then I agree that the 745 is a great deal and pretty easy to set up.... If you are looking to totally customize your computer then you can't beat DIY especially if you want to show it off with a side case window.

If you don't care how it looks and don't have a side window (which that lian-li doesn't) then again the 745 is fine.

Lets face it, we choose our computers like we choose our cars, some want pure performance, some are completely into looks and others want both. Decide what you want to spend and choose what performance and looks you want then go crazy....

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Watercooling used to be for a select community of enthusiasts until a few years ago. Now, it's becoming more commonplace and, because of this, more companies are getting into it (and the established ones are producing more equiptment). I started out with a Corsair Cool Water as my first kit and it worked fine. In fact, it is still a good kit today. However, once you've caught the bug of how nice watercooling can be you will find that DIY is the way to go because you can mix and match components from most ALL companies (influenced by whether you go 1/2, 3/8 or 1/4 of course).

What you need to determine is that, as you upgrade your computer parts (i.e GPU, CPU, HDD and motherboard), do you think you will want to upgrade the watercooling to compensate. The nice thing about watercooling is that you won't need to upgrade it as quicly or as often as you might standard computer parts. Also, your watercooling system will grow and, eventually, be something akin to how you like cooling your system (reflective of you views and priorities of system cooling). So, if watercooling is somehting that you think you will like to stay into then I would suggest getting the custom parts like the MCP655 pump and the various other components.

At first I didn't like the Bigwater when it came out because the early kits were prone to leaking. But, that kit has grown and I've since heard good things about it.

I'm a DIY man myself and even my peltier cooling is DIY. That's just my preference though. I like to tinker around with my system alot. I upgrade all the time and I seem to figure out ways to improve my cooling so it is in a constant state of flux.

Waylander gave some good advice. I couldn't have said it better myself.

RichPLS

Champion
I have the side window also, and my PC looks pretty good...
I plan to mount the 2x120 radiator flush on top of case so it merges as one, and exausts air from case...
Then I will have a single unit with regards to water cooling and PC...

img0820lx9.jpg

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Here is my system, as you can see my 2 x 120mm rad is inside, it's pulling air front the front (all the drive covers of the armor allow air to pass through a filter). Because of this it is pulling air from outside the case not using air inside the case to cool the radiator.

6004DSCF0675.JPG

7904DSCF0685.JPG

6063DSCF0684.JPG

2100DSCF0648-1.JPG

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
yeah i think that im just going to do it myself on the water cooling thing, i hope by the time i get all my computer stuff ill have enough for the cooling tho, cause 1100 on a pc is a good amt of money for some1 like me, then an extra 200 is killer, so i hope i have enough!!

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
You can easely lower your cost by basing your watercooling system around an automotive heatercore, they're cheaper and much more effective than the "good looking" rads being sold at an almost fraudulent price.

TDX for LGA775 53$

Laing D5 75$

Chevette Heatercore 20$ (45$ if you include the shroud and a 120mm fan)

Or

Bonneville Heatercore 35$ (74$ if you include a double shroud and two 120mm fans)

A reservoir is useless, it only kills the flow and complicates coolant purges. You can either opt for a simple T line or a more complex 3 valves bleeder, the tubing, valves, fittings and hose clamps can be bought locally in any decent home hardware store.

DCP_0402.JPG

Leaktesting, note that the reservoir and submersible pump are not a part of my loop.

DCP_0405.JPG

Closeup of the waterblock and reinforced tubing.

MLNA0037.jpg

My 'rig before I reinforced the tubing.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Hey Sid? I know that it probably works ok (great even) but really, and don't take this the wrong way, it's kinda ugly.... and you can't really move that can you?

My rig may have cost a whole $30 more for the radiator but at least it's all inside the case and I can move it without reinforcement.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Hey Sid? I know that it probably works ok (great even) but really, and don't take this the wrong way, it's kinda ugly.... and you can't really move that can you?

My rig may have cost a whole $30 more for the radiator but at least it's all inside the case and I can move it without reinforcement.

I have'nt gotten around modding the side panel to mount the heatercore on the side yet, I probably never will and just buy a roomy Lian-Li case to fit the heatercore inside.

Seriously, I don't care about looks or portability, I bought that case over 5 years ago and had no idea that I would be using watercooling down the road, my only concern is getting the best performance out of my money, that setup fits the bill quite nicely as its cooling potential would only be outclassed by a system based on a bigger heatercore such as a '77 Bonneville.