Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dual boot two windows Xp pro

Tags:
  • Dual Boot
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 3:43:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

To All,
I have win xp english loaded on disk1 and another language of xp pro loaded
on disk2. both are ntfs formatted. how do I create a dual-boot loader file
on disk1 so that i can choose different copy of xp to start.

Thanks

Calvin

More about : dual boot windows pro

Anonymous
October 4, 2004 7:30:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi, Calvin.

I don't know about mixing language versions. But booting two installations
of WinXP (English) is easy. WinXP Setup takes care of it automatically.
When Setup detects another WinXP (or Win2K, or Win9x/ME), it simply updates
C:\NTLDR and C:\NTDETECT.COM, and adds the new installation to C:\boot.ini,
with instructions as to which physical disk, partition and folder it is in.
My (uneducated) guess is that it would handle a different language version
of WinXP just as simply. No third party boot manager required.

Just be sure to put each WinXP installation in a separate volume (primary
partition or logical drive in an extended partition) on any physical drive
in your computer. And I suppose that you should install your main language
last so that C:\boot.ini will be using that language? (Hmmm... How do you
spell "boot.ini" in French? Or in Chinese?)

If you find out that I'm wrong, please post back for the benefit of others
with the same question.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@corridor.net
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Calvin C." <CChang@mjlm.com> wrote in message
news:urwbKFjqEHA.1988@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> To All,
> I have win xp english loaded on disk1 and another language of xp pro
> loaded on disk2. both are ntfs formatted. how do I create a dual-boot
> loader file on disk1 so that i can choose different copy of xp to start.
>
> Thanks
>
> Calvin
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 11:40:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Calvin C." <CChang@mjlm.com> wrote:

>I have win xp english loaded on disk1 and another language of xp pro loaded
>on disk2. both are ntfs formatted. how do I create a dual-boot loader file
>on disk1 so that i can choose different copy of xp to start.

Get a third-party boot manager from your local software store to setup
and manage the dual-boot system.

--
(tm)
Related resources
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 11:40:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Do you happen to know any good software? tks

"Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:o sulHljqEHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> "Calvin C." <CChang@mjlm.com> wrote:
>
>>I have win xp english loaded on disk1 and another language of xp pro
>>loaded
>>on disk2. both are ntfs formatted. how do I create a dual-boot loader file
>>on disk1 so that i can choose different copy of xp to start.
>
> Get a third-party boot manager from your local software store to setup
> and manage the dual-boot system.
>
> --
> (tm)
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 5:37:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

An alternative to consider for running multiple OS's without dual booting is
Virtual PC 2004. See:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
This allows you to run both versions of XP at the same time, drag and drop
between, and so on.

"Calvin C." <CChang@mjlm.com> wrote in message
news:urwbKFjqEHA.1988@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> To All,
> I have win xp english loaded on disk1 and another language of xp pro
> loaded on disk2. both are ntfs formatted. how do I create a dual-boot
> loader file on disk1 so that i can choose different copy of xp to start.
>
> Thanks
>
> Calvin
>
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 10:04:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Calvin C." <CChang@mjlm.com> wrote:

>Do you happen to know any good software? tks

I do not use such applications. I would scan software libraries like
http://www.tucows.com/, http://www.simtel.net/simtel.net/ for
Shareware or ask in a Software store for a good program.

--
(tm)
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 2:23:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi RC,
Here is what I got. I installed XP English on one physical HD, unpluged the
HD, plugged in the other physical HD and loaded XP Chinese on it. Then, I
plugged in these two physical HDs back into the box. Both jumpers are set to
"Cable Select". The system booted up from XP English and detected the 2nd HD
the very first time, and I did see two XP O/S at next system bootup.
However, the system gave me error sth about wrong system path blah...when I
chose the 2nd XP O/S. I went back to "startup options" setting in XP
English, and copied the boot.ini and pasted here...

Do you know if I should manually edit the path in boot.ini file and how?
Thanks

[boot loader]
timeout=20

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft

Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft

Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Calvin


"R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
news:%23Zcn2DlqEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hi, Calvin.
>
> I don't know about mixing language versions. But booting two
> installations of WinXP (English) is easy. WinXP Setup takes care of it
> automatically. When Setup detects another WinXP (or Win2K, or Win9x/ME),
> it simply updates C:\NTLDR and C:\NTDETECT.COM, and adds the new
> installation to C:\boot.ini, with instructions as to which physical disk,
> partition and folder it is in. My (uneducated) guess is that it would
> handle a different language version of WinXP just as simply. No third
> party boot manager required.
>
> Just be sure to put each WinXP installation in a separate volume (primary
> partition or logical drive in an extended partition) on any physical drive
> in your computer. And I suppose that you should install your main
> language last so that C:\boot.ini will be using that language? (Hmmm...
> How do you spell "boot.ini" in French? Or in Chinese?)
>
> If you find out that I'm wrong, please post back for the benefit of others
> with the same question.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Calvin C." <CChang@mjlm.com> wrote in message
> news:urwbKFjqEHA.1988@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> To All,
>> I have win xp english loaded on disk1 and another language of xp pro
>> loaded on disk2. both are ntfs formatted. how do I create a dual-boot
>> loader file on disk1 so that i can choose different copy of xp to start.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Calvin
>
>
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 4:45:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

In order to create a dual boot scenario you should have had both hard drives
installed at the same time. Install the primary language XP on drive C:
then install the secondary language version of XP on the other drive without
removing the first drive. XP automatically sets up the dual boot screen.
Yes, you need to edit the boot.ini file in order to have a dual boot
environment.

"Calvin C." <CChang@mjlm.com> wrote in message
news:uceyeGIrEHA.1152@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hi RC,
> Here is what I got. I installed XP English on one physical HD, unpluged
> the HD, plugged in the other physical HD and loaded XP Chinese on it.
> Then, I plugged in these two physical HDs back into the box. Both jumpers
> are set to "Cable Select". The system booted up from XP English and
> detected the 2nd HD the very first time, and I did see two XP O/S at next
> system bootup. However, the system gave me error sth about wrong system
> path blah...when I chose the 2nd XP O/S. I went back to "startup options"
> setting in XP English, and copied the boot.ini and pasted here...
>
> Do you know if I should manually edit the path in boot.ini file and how?
> Thanks
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=20
>
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
>
> [operating systems]
>
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
>
> Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
>
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
>
> Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
>
> Calvin
>
>
> "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
> news:%23Zcn2DlqEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> Hi, Calvin.
>>
>> I don't know about mixing language versions. But booting two
>> installations of WinXP (English) is easy. WinXP Setup takes care of it
>> automatically. When Setup detects another WinXP (or Win2K, or Win9x/ME),
>> it simply updates C:\NTLDR and C:\NTDETECT.COM, and adds the new
>> installation to C:\boot.ini, with instructions as to which physical disk,
>> partition and folder it is in. My (uneducated) guess is that it would
>> handle a different language version of WinXP just as simply. No third
>> party boot manager required.
>>
>> Just be sure to put each WinXP installation in a separate volume (primary
>> partition or logical drive in an extended partition) on any physical
>> drive in your computer. And I suppose that you should install your main
>> language last so that C:\boot.ini will be using that language? (Hmmm...
>> How do you spell "boot.ini" in French? Or in Chinese?)
>>
>> If you find out that I'm wrong, please post back for the benefit of
>> others with the same question.
>>
>> RC
>> --
>> R. C. White, CPA
>> San Marcos, TX
>> rc@corridor.net
>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>>
>> "Calvin C." <CChang@mjlm.com> wrote in message
>> news:urwbKFjqEHA.1988@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> To All,
>>> I have win xp english loaded on disk1 and another language of xp pro
>>> loaded on disk2. both are ntfs formatted. how do I create a dual-boot
>>> loader file on disk1 so that i can choose different copy of xp to start.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Calvin
>>
>>
>
>
September 23, 2008 4:31:24 PM

You do not need to quote everything.

I get the different language error, i'm worried that if i install from startup
(on a flash drive), i might not get into the original version again,
will post my findings later on.
!