Printer Server - Drivers?

Hello,
I am currently setting up a print sever on a Win2k Server, I have a pri nter
script setup via user logon, and all is working well on the Win2k user
environment, however I am having difficulties with my WinXP machines, when I
setup the printers on the server I am only able to install drivers for Win2k,
when I click on the "Additional Drivers" tab, I do not see an option for XP.
Is it possible to install drivers for XP on a 2000 server, or does the server
have to be 2003?

Thanks in advance!
Vince
7 answers Last reply
More about printer server drivers

    Somebody correct me if I am wrong or if there is a better way.

    What I have done is download the appropriate drivers for WinXP. Logon onto
    a workstation running WinXP as the domain admin (or a printer admin on the
    server) and install the drivers from the WinXP machine to the server. this
    should replace the drivers on the server. There should be no need to check
    a box that says WinXP drivers.

    Many printers use the same drivers for Win2k, WinXP and Win2k3. If the
    drivers are clearly different between XP and 2000, you can install two
    printers on the server labeled appropriately for XP or 2000 and install the
    drivers for each OS.

    Let me know if this answers your question.

    "Springside" <Springside@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I am currently setting up a print sever on a Win2k Server, I have a pri
    nter
    > script setup via user logon, and all is working well on the Win2k user
    > environment, however I am having difficulties with my WinXP machines, when
    > setup the printers on the server I am only able to install drivers for
    Win2k,
    > when I click on the "Additional Drivers" tab, I do not see an option for
    XP.
    > Is it possible to install drivers for XP on a 2000 server, or does the
    server
    > have to be 2003?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    > Vince

    Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure how to install the drivers to the
    server from an XP machine?

    "Jeremy Church" wrote:

    > Somebody correct me if I am wrong or if there is a better way.
    >
    > What I have done is download the appropriate drivers for WinXP. Logon onto
    > a workstation running WinXP as the domain admin (or a printer admin on the
    > server) and install the drivers from the WinXP machine to the server. this
    > should replace the drivers on the server. There should be no need to check
    > a box that says WinXP drivers.
    >
    > Many printers use the same drivers for Win2k, WinXP and Win2k3. If the
    > drivers are clearly different between XP and 2000, you can install two
    > printers on the server labeled appropriately for XP or 2000 and install the
    > drivers for each OS.
    >
    > Let me know if this answers your question.
    >
    > "Springside" <Springside@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > > I am currently setting up a print sever on a Win2k Server, I have a pri
    > nter
    > > script setup via user logon, and all is working well on the Win2k user
    > > environment, however I am having difficulties with my WinXP machines, when
    > > setup the printers on the server I am only able to install drivers for
    > Win2k,
    > > when I click on the "Additional Drivers" tab, I do not see an option for
    > XP.
    > > Is it possible to install drivers for XP on a 2000 server, or does the
    > server
    > > have to be 2003?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!
    > > Vince

    Browse to the print server through Network Neighborhood (or Start | Run |
    \\printserver), and click the "Printers" icon. From there, you can load
    drivers as you would from the server. The File menu will include a Server
    Properties entry.

    Regards

    Oli

    > Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure how to install the drivers to the
    > server from an XP machine?
    >
    > "Jeremy Church" wrote:
    >
    >> Somebody correct me if I am wrong or if there is a better way.
    >>
    >> What I have done is download the appropriate drivers for WinXP. Logon
    >> onto
    >> a workstation running WinXP as the domain admin (or a printer admin on
    >> the
    >> server) and install the drivers from the WinXP machine to the server.
    >> this
    >> should replace the drivers on the server. There should be no need to
    >> check
    >> a box that says WinXP drivers.
    >>
    >> Many printers use the same drivers for Win2k, WinXP and Win2k3. If the
    >> drivers are clearly different between XP and 2000, you can install two
    >> printers on the server labeled appropriately for XP or 2000 and install
    >> the
    >> drivers for each OS.
    >>
    >> Let me know if this answers your question.
    >>
    >> "Springside" <Springside@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello,
    >> > I am currently setting up a print sever on a Win2k Server, I have a pri
    >> nter
    >> > script setup via user logon, and all is working well on the Win2k user
    >> > environment, however I am having difficulties with my WinXP machines,
    >> > when
    >> > setup the printers on the server I am only able to install drivers for
    >> Win2k,
    >> > when I click on the "Additional Drivers" tab, I do not see an option
    >> > for
    >> XP.
    >> > Is it possible to install drivers for XP on a 2000 server, or does the
    >> server
    >> > have to be 2003?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance!
    >> > Vince

    Oli, Thanks for the help, I believe you have assisted me previously w/ a
    print server question (i'm pretty new to this), anyway, one more question, to
    set the default printer in my printer script I am using:
    rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /n \\printserver\printer

    Unfortunately the default is not set for all users? Any Ideas?

    Thanks,
    Vince

    "Oli Restorick [MVP]" wrote:

    > Browse to the print server through Network Neighborhood (or Start | Run |
    > \\printserver), and click the "Printers" icon. From there, you can load
    > drivers as you would from the server. The File menu will include a Server
    > Properties entry.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Oli
    >
    > "Springside" <Springside@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure how to install the drivers to the
    > > server from an XP machine?
    > >
    > > "Jeremy Church" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Somebody correct me if I am wrong or if there is a better way.
    > >>
    > >> What I have done is download the appropriate drivers for WinXP. Logon
    > >> onto
    > >> a workstation running WinXP as the domain admin (or a printer admin on
    > >> the
    > >> server) and install the drivers from the WinXP machine to the server.
    > >> this
    > >> should replace the drivers on the server. There should be no need to
    > >> check
    > >> a box that says WinXP drivers.
    > >>
    > >> Many printers use the same drivers for Win2k, WinXP and Win2k3. If the
    > >> drivers are clearly different between XP and 2000, you can install two
    > >> printers on the server labeled appropriately for XP or 2000 and install
    > >> the
    > >> drivers for each OS.
    > >>
    > >> Let me know if this answers your question.
    > >>
    > >> "Springside" <Springside@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> nter
    > >> Win2k,
    > >> XP.
    > >> server

    Here is a short VBScript that you can put in your logon script for you
    users.

    set wshNetwork = wScript.CreateObject("wScript.Network")
    wshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\server\printershare".

    Just put this text in a file with the .vbs extension then call it from your
    logon script like "cscript defaultprn.vbs"
    I believe you can either use the actual printer name or the share name. The
    share name is just easier.
    With a little bit of research, you can also use other variables of the user
    to set the default printer to set.

    > Oli, Thanks for the help, I believe you have assisted me previously w/ a
    > print server question (i'm pretty new to this), anyway, one more question,
    > set the default printer in my printer script I am using:
    > rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /n \\printserver\printer
    >
    > Unfortunately the default is not set for all users? Any Ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Vince
    >
    > "Oli Restorick [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > Browse to the print server through Network Neighborhood (or Start | Run
    |
    > > \\printserver), and click the "Printers" icon. From there, you can load
    > > drivers as you would from the server. The File menu will include a
    Server
    > > Properties entry.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Oli
    > >
    > > "Springside" <Springside@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure how to install the drivers to
    the
    > > > server from an XP machine?

    Logon

    Thanks for the help, I'm not totally clear here, as I have no experience with
    ..vbs. So basically my script remains intact, then I add the text you have
    provided to the end of my script?

    "Jeremy Church" wrote:

    > Here is a short VBScript that you can put in your logon script for you
    > users.
    >
    > set wshNetwork = wScript.CreateObject("wScript.Network")
    > wshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\server\printershare".
    >
    > Just put this text in a file with the .vbs extension then call it from your
    > logon script like "cscript defaultprn.vbs"
    > I believe you can either use the actual printer name or the share name. The
    > share name is just easier.
    > With a little bit of research, you can also use other variables of the user
    > to set the default printer to set.
    >
    > "Springside" <Springside@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Oli, Thanks for the help, I believe you have assisted me previously w/ a
    > > print server question (i'm pretty new to this), anyway, one more question,
    > > set the default printer in my printer script I am using:
    > > rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /n \\printserver\printer
    > >
    > > Unfortunately the default is not set for all users? Any Ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Vince
    > >
    > > "Oli Restorick [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Browse to the print server through Network Neighborhood (or Start | Run
    > |
    > > > \\printserver), and click the "Printers" icon. From there, you can load
    > > > drivers as you would from the server. The File menu will include a
    > Server
    > > > Properties entry.
    > > >
    > > > Regards
    > > >
    > > > Oli
    > > >
    > > > "Springside" <Springside@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > the

    > Logon
    > on

    > the
    > two
    > install

    > pri
    > user
    > machines,
    > for
    > option
    > the

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    You create ANOTHER file called "defaultprn.vbs" or what ever suits your
    taste. In that file put the two lines of code I posted previously. At the
    end of YOUR script, I'm assuming that it's a .bat file, type "cscript
    defaultprn.vbs" CScript and WScript are the two script engines used to run
    ..vbs files. I attached the script as a .txt file. Just change the server
    name and share name, but leave the quotes.

    > Thanks for the help, I'm not totally clear here, as I have no experience
    with
    > .vbs. So basically my script remains intact, then I add the text you have
    > provided to the end of my script?
    >
    > "Jeremy Church" wrote:
    >
    > > Here is a short VBScript that you can put in your logon script for you
    > > users.
    > >
    > > set wshNetwork = wScript.CreateObject("wScript.Network")
    > > wshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\server\printershare".
    > >
    > > Just put this text in a file with the .vbs extension then call it from
    your
    > > logon script like "cscript defaultprn.vbs"
    > > I believe you can either use the actual printer name or the share name.
    The
    > > share name is just easier.
    > > With a little bit of research, you can also use other variables of the
    user
    > > to set the default printer to set.
    > >
    > > "Springside" <Springside@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Oli, Thanks for the help, I believe you have assisted me previously w/
    > > > print server question (i'm pretty new to this), anyway, one more
    question,
    > > > set the default printer in my printer script I am using:
    > > > rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /n \\printserver\printer
    > > >
    > > > Unfortunately the default is not set for all users? Any Ideas?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Vince

    Run

    > > Server

    > > the

    > > Logon
    > > on

    If
    > > the
    > > two
    > > install

    > > pri
    Win2k
    > > user
    > > machines,
    > > for
    > > option
    > > the

    begin 666 defaultprn.txt
    M4V5T('=S:$YE='=O<FL@/2!W4V-R:7!T+D-R96%T94]B:F5C="@B=U-C<FEP
    M="Y.971W;W)K(BD-"G=S:$YE='=O<FLN4V5T1&5F875L=%!R:6YT97(@(EQ<
    5>6]U<G-E<G9E<EQS:&%R96YA;64B
    `
    end

Drivers Active Directory Servers Printers Windows