Sottilde's Code Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm playing a straight fighter type, and I'm trying to get Sottilde's
code book. I'm a 'Toad' in the Thieve's Guild, but don't really care
whether or not I stay in it.

Is there any way other than killing her to get it? I bribed her
disposition towards me up to 100/100 but she still just keeps telling me
I have to decide where my loyalties lie.

sarah

"John Baker" <baker-j@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> Is there any way other than killing her to get it? I bribed her
> disposition towards me up to 100/100 but she still just keeps telling me
> I have to decide where my loyalties lie.

You can pick her pocket for it.

Alternatively, you can leave the quest for now, not bother with the Balmora
Fighter's Guild for a while but hook up with the guild in other cities, and
eventually this will resolve itself.

Or you can just kill her and get everyone mad at you. I like Sottilde so I
like to leave her alive.

uIn article <adZHc.634$FP1.429@fe1.columbus.rr.com>, John Baker wrote:
> I'm playing a straight fighter type, and I'm trying to get Sottilde's
> code book. I'm a 'Toad' in the Thieve's Guild, but don't really care
> whether or not I stay in it.
>
> Is there any way other than killing her to get it? I bribed her
> disposition towards me up to 100/100 but she still just keeps telling me
> I have to decide where my loyalties lie.

Ask around for jobs in the guild.

John Baker <baker-j@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:<adZHc.634$FP1.429@fe1.columbus.rr.com>...
> I'm playing a straight fighter type, and I'm trying to get Sottilde's
> code book. I'm a 'Toad' in the Thieve's Guild, but don't really care
> whether or not I stay in it.
>
> Is there any way other than killing her to get it? I bribed her
> disposition towards me up to 100/100 but she still just keeps telling me
> I have to decide where my loyalties lie.

There are many ways to play this. You can just stop doing Firemumbles
fighter quests (you can still advance in the guild). You can steal
the book. You can bribe the book (but not, I think, if you are
already in the thieves guild). You can kill Sortilde. You can
probably threaten her, but I haven't actually tried that. This quest
asks you to choose between guild loyalties. The choice is yours to
make (in many ways). Morrowind is NOT a game where you have to march
through each and every quest you're given. (There are other
interesting ways.....

spoiler alert!!!

more spoiler alert

you can get a theives guild quest that will get Firemumble on the
thieves guild side so that she will stop giving you anti thieves
guilde quests

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 21:29:42 GMT, John Baker <baker-j@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>I'm playing a straight fighter type, and I'm trying to get Sottilde's
>code book. I'm a 'Toad' in the Thieve's Guild, but don't really care
>whether or not I stay in it.

Because of the complications, this is a quest that I never take.

>Is there any way other than killing her to get it? I bribed her
>disposition towards me up to 100/100 but she still just keeps telling me
>I have to decide where my loyalties lie.

This won't help you now, but in another game, you can continue taking
Thieves Guild quests until you get one which alters Fire-eye's attitude
towards the guild. Then she will give you a more limited set of quests
that doesn't include the codebook one.
--
Greg Johnson
Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

felixnoir

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I found a way that actually worked. I tried a couple of suggestions - I tried jumping up on the table behind her then picking her pocket, but that doesn't work because she always faces towards you and noticed immediately. I tried adding the book using the console, but that didn't work. So what I eventually did was to walk towards her from the direction of Sugarlips - that ensures the man between Sottilde and Sugarlips is facing away. I went past Sottilde and hid from her by stding on the first step of the stairs behind the wooden column. Then I inched out to where Sottilde could see me out of the corner of her eye but the guy couldn't. Then I cast telekinesis, pressed control to sneak, pressed the space bar on Sottilde, and was presented with the contents of her pockets. I then grabbed the code book (using TK). Sottilde told me how happy she was to see me as I went out through the door and I took the book to Fire-Eye.