Sign in with
Your question

Please Help. -- How come my Dual Core CPU .....

Last response: in CPUs
July 16, 2006 7:29:46 AM

doesn't register as a dual core cpu ???

Here's the brief specs.

805D
ASUS P5P800 SE (latest bios 0704)
Generic DDR 400

It was my P4 630 system I used for HTPC for a while now. While actually waiting for a Conroe upgrade, I decided to find out what the 805D hype was all about. It was a mere 120 bucks upgrade as all my current components actually work with it. Granted, not the best setup, but it's just a temporary thirst quencher after all.

And yes, the bios does detect everthing perfectly. (I'll try to post screenshots in my next post). HOWEVER ...... Win XP Pro SP2 doesn't seem to do the same.

A "Virtual" two core cpu is detected as having "actual" two cores. (ie HyperThreading). I can't understand why an actual dual core is detected as single.
And in CPU-Z , the option at the bottom for choosing between core 1 and core 2 is grayed out. The task manager in windows shows only one cpu graph. And so on ....

Please help me come up with some ideas to explain this.

On a side note, I'm able to overclock it to FSB 189, i.e to 3.78 GHz. It runs stable with stress utilities I throw at it for 3 or 4 hours at a time. (That's my approximate gaming or HTPC time before taking a break and turning it off anyway). So Obviously, my "cheap" components isn't as "cheap" in quality as I first thought. They're actually not bad at all. :o 

I welcome any and all ideas. No exceptions. :) 

More about : dual core cpu

July 16, 2006 7:46:34 AM

Quote:
I don't believe your chipset supports dual core CPUs in that motherboard. It will initialize and use only one core.

Yes, that's what I thought too. Although I'm currently looking into this, I have however had a brief look at asus website. Apparently, P5P800 SE "does" support dual cores.
July 16, 2006 8:00:57 AM

Ah yes , I didn't mention that. I tried both actually. (an old one and fresh install on another blank drive). I even took the liberty to overclock it first to a final Ghz figure before installing, just in case a change in speed after install could have an effect.
Related resources
July 16, 2006 8:21:02 AM

i know this sounds and even feels like a pretty futile possibility to suggest... even considering your bios is recognizing everything just fine... ...but, just as a thought... ...the bios version might possibly actually be conflicting and preventing windows from detecting 2 cores... maybe checking the manufacturer site to find if its a compatible bios version/updating it... or... even a bios configuration setting/cmos clear maybe...
July 16, 2006 8:37:00 AM

Quote:
...the bios version might possibly actually be conflicting and preventing windows from detecting 2 cores... maybe checking the manufacturer site to find if its a compatible bios version/updating it... or... even a bios configuration setting/cmos clear maybe...

Hey, that's a good thought choirbass. Come to think of it, asus did suggest bios version 0503 for the 805D instead of 0301 for the rest of the 8xx D family. (Somehow, 805D is the only one different). Although in theory higher versions "should" automatically cover all features of the previous versions, this might be a strange exception. I'll try the 0503 version right now and update my progress.
July 16, 2006 9:23:45 AM

Quote:
...the bios version might possibly actually be conflicting and preventing windows from detecting 2 cores... maybe checking the manufacturer site to find if its a compatible bios version/updating it... or... even a bios configuration setting/cmos clear maybe...

:sigh: tried all the above.

What could possibly be preventing windows from detecting the dual core ??? Is asus wrong ?? Is my DDR the problem (ie only compatible with DDR2) ??

Could Intel have made 2 versions of Pentium 805D. One, a true Dual Core, the other, single core with the same stamped info in a sort of cheap scam ???

Could OEMs do this in a form of an ever cheaper scam ???

Any other suggestions guys ?
July 16, 2006 9:48:37 AM

What do you mean by 'registers as a dual core CPU'?

Do you mean there is only one graph in task manager? Because you can switch that to one for each core or one overall graph.

Sorry if that's not it/someone's already suggested it.
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2006 10:03:51 AM

Quote:
doesn't register as a dual core cpu ???

Here's the brief specs.

805D
ASUS P5P800 SE (latest bios 0704)
Generic DDR 400

It was my P4 630 system I used for HTPC for a while now. While actually waiting for a Conroe upgrade, I decided to find out what the 805D hype was all about. It was a mere 120 bucks upgrade as all my current components actually work with it. Granted, not the best setup, but it's just a temporary thirst quencher after all.

And yes, the bios does detect everthing perfectly. (I'll try to post screenshots in my next post). HOWEVER ...... Win XP Pro SP2 doesn't seem to do the same.

A "Virtual" two core cpu is detected as having "actual" two cores. (ie HyperThreading). I can't understand why an actual dual core is detected as single.
And in CPU-Z , the option at the bottom for choosing between core 1 and core 2 is grayed out. The task manager in windows shows only one cpu graph. And so on ....

Please help me come up with some ideas to explain this.

On a side note, I'm able to overclock it to FSB 189, i.e to 3.78 GHz. It runs stable with stress utilities I throw at it for 3 or 4 hours at a time. (That's my approximate gaming or HTPC time before taking a break and turning it off anyway). So Obviously, my "cheap" components isn't as "cheap" in quality as I first thought. They're actually not bad at all. :o 

I welcome any and all ideas. No exceptions. :) 

Where do you get the idea these boards run Pentium D 805 Smithfield processor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&ty...
July 16, 2006 10:11:04 AM

Quote:
What do you mean by 'registers as a dual core CPU'?

Do you mean there is only one graph in task manager? Because you can switch that to one for each core or one overall graph.

No buddy, it simply means that windows and cpu-z (and others) treat my dual core as a single "prescott with a D suffix" ... if you know what I mean. In fact, not even that. HyperThreading managed to show up just fine in Device Manager and Task Manager. For some reason, the 805D doesn't get the same treatment.

Is this a racist thing in the silicon world ?? I'm stumped.
July 16, 2006 10:24:15 AM

Quote:

Where do you get the idea these boards run Pentium D 805 Smithfield processor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&ty...

HAHAHA ..... well, I must say I'm embarassed. Looking at that link it sure as hell doesn't support dual cores now does it. :oops: 

However, I did look at this though.
Asus P5P800 SE

So, basically, I just assumed. :)  ... from which one of my original questions originated. Is asus wrong about this ??
July 16, 2006 11:06:45 AM

Hes right it should support it:

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...

However the other similar models dont, e.g. the P5P800, P5P800S, P5P800-MX.

Are you sure you dont have one of these? I suppose having updated the bios you cant have...

Does the BIOS list it as a 'Pentium D 805' on boot or does it just say 'Pentium 5' or similar? The fact that the BIOS is still offering you Hyper Threading seems to indicate to me that its not detecting a dual core CPU, as the 805 doesnt support HT.

Try going to device manager, under 'compter' which should be the top entry, you'll likely find 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface PC'. right click this and click 'update driver', dont let it connect to windows update, tell it not to search and you will choose the driver, and switch to the 'ACPI Multiprocessor PC' driver.

Other than that I think its new motherboard time. Maybe somethign like the ASUS P5VDC-X ( http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=206&mo... ) which supports AGP and PCI-E, DDR and DDR2, allowing you to upgrade in smaller steps :) 
July 16, 2006 11:33:48 AM

Quote:

Does the BIOS list it as a 'Pentium D 805' on boot or does it just say 'Pentium 5' or similar? The fact that the BIOS is still offering you Hyper Threading seems to indicate to me that its not detecting a dual core CPU, as the 805 doesnt support HT.

Oh, sorry bout that. The HyperThreading I was refering to was from my previous P4 630, before I swapped it with the 805D.
And yes, to put it in one sentence, the bios states everthing correctly.
Pentium D 805 2.66 Ghz , Running at 3.78 GHz , CPU Count = 2 , HyperThreading not detected obviously , and progs like cpu-z seem to indicate everything correctly. ..... EXCEPT that they don't see TWO cores. They only see one. (eg. the option to switch cores in cpu-z is grayed out)

I will try out your method right now.

EDIT : Its already 'ACPI Multiprocessor PC' driver. But in the processor section , there is only one listed. Even with "virtual cores" HyperThreading there are two under this section.
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2006 12:36:52 PM

What version of windows are you running? 2K? XP Home? XP Pro?

Just to clarify, when you view the CPU section of Windows Task Manager, there is only 1 cpu graph shown? Or 2?
July 17, 2006 5:45:56 AM

Quote:
What version of windows are you running? 2K? XP Home? XP Pro?

Just to clarify, when you view the CPU section of Windows Task Manager, there is only 1 cpu graph shown? Or 2?

Quote:

Quote:

Right at the very top of this thread. :) 
July 17, 2006 10:38:39 AM

Ok. Problem solved.

It seems clearing the CMOS is a necessity on this particular board.

And it has to be done AFTER the flash too, and not before. Strange. Thanks to choirbass for the idea. Much appreciated.
July 17, 2006 12:36:21 PM

welcome
!