moving schema master

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 17, 2005 1:58:33 PM

Hello I would like to move the schema master to my exchange server, is
this a good idea, what if the server crashes, can i have two schema
masters, or can i recreate this role out of nothing? thanks

More about : moving schema master

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 3:05:30 AM

The schema master doesn't usually have much work to do so you can probably
move it to any server you want although it is often a good design principle
not to have anything but Exchange running on your Exchange servers. If the
server crashes, you will be too busy worrying about email to do any schema
updates!

You cannot have more than one schema master in a forest, if the server
crashes and has to be rebuilt, you can use ntdsutil to seize the role to
another server. If the server crashes and can be repaired, just leave it
alone as access to the schema master is not required for day-to-day
operations.

!