DC failure

In my network I have only one DC (W2K Server) and no other DC replica.
I perfom a system state backup every day.

In case of a failure of this DC, after I perform a non-authoritative restore
of the AD, will I have to join again all clients computer and member servers
of my network to the restored domain again ?

Can I restore the System State of a failured DC (W2K server) in a new one
W2K3 enterprise DC without impacting the clients computers ?

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about failure

    "Ricardo11" wrote:
    > In my network I have only one DC (W2K Server) and no other DC
    > replica.
    > I perfom a system state backup every day.
    >
    > In case of a failure of this DC, after I perform a
    > non-authoritative restore
    > of the AD, will I have to join again all clients computer and
    > member servers
    > of my network to the restored domain again ?
    >
    > Can I restore the System State of a failured DC (W2K server)
    > in a new one
    > W2K3 enterprise DC without impacting the clients computers ?
    >
    > Thanks

    You won’t be able to restore the System State from a W2K machine to a
    W2K3 machine.

    If you restore W2K to the same server (ie in your live environment),
    then you’ll be fine, as the workstations will not have changed. The
    entries related to their SID’s as well as machine names. If the
    machine names were the same, but the SID’s were different because they
    had been rebuilt from scratch, then you would have to add them again.

    As it seems you are only wanting to restore the server, you should be
    fine.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-DC-failure-ftopict374045.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1217662

Servers Active Directory Windows