AMD Price-cut

Mortifix

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Does anyone know how long the AMD price cut is supposed to last? I am really looking into making a new PC and I am wondering when it would be the best to do that.

RichPLS

Champion
I believe they will continue to decline, till supplies of 939 dries up, then prices will continue to fall... they will not go up... Intel is beating them down to hard for AMD to charge much like they have been...

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Price cuts on a brand new platform UNHEARD OF !!!! :) Well I guess Intel is doing it too in a way with Core. But dont the venders have to pay more ? To me it looks like Intel just made flat prices and went nuts to give everyone the vender price lol Well I actualy do hope they drop the prices on 939 Athlons becouse I would like some dual core goodness for my 2 athlon machines !!!

BGP_Spook

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Agree with RichPLS.
AMD prices will contiune to fall until AMD management calls a halt or until AMD pulls a rabbit out of it's hat.

From recent announcements it appears management doesn't want to call a halt anytime soon since they intend to compete with Conroe on a price/performance basis and their is a disturbing shortage of rabbits in AMD's near future*.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/07/14/amd_really_will_drop_athlon64_prices/

*The closest rabbit in a hat is K8L. The exact time when K8L will be comming out is unknown. But all reports say anywhere from 6 months to a year and a half before K8L will arrive.

thornado

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
the price cuts are supposed to happen on 24th july right? will the price cuts be immideate in stores or do they have to re-stock?

tyh

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
does anyone acutally know what the price cuts are. i saw it once at dailytech but couldnt remember. conroe might be fast. but if 4200+ is under 150 then im hitting that.

BGP_Spook

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
but AMD's rabbit might be a bit tortoise like, when compared to what Hare Intel will also release at that race!

Ture, but aside from speculation about when we will be comparing rabbits.
I would prefer to wait until we had two rabbits to compare. :D

Right now the hares are most definitely blue. :wink:

tyh

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
i think the price cut will be immidete. i cant wait to go on newegg and see the price cuts. hahaha. all i know is that it's bad for them... good for us.

yourbestfriend

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
supply and demand

Intel will only be making a certin amount 25% of total production by end of year

The price will be high because thats what people want and AMD will only cut prices if they have to

IF you want core 2 you might have to buy a dell

halcyon

Splendid
supply and demand

Intel will only be making a certin amount 25% of total production by end of year

The price will be high because thats what people want and AMD will only cut prices if they have to

IF you want core 2 you might have to buy a dell

LOL, I can see folks buying Dell rigs with Core 2's and then taking the CPU's out and building another rig. Insane...but I can see it.

yourbestfriend

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
That 25% tho is more Conroes than every chip from AMD's entire production line... Think of perspective...

yes very good point... how much of intel production is OEM

Dell and HP will see them before us is the word, I want a conroe but I bet It's will not be july 24th

RichPLS

Champion
Well firstly it is the 27th and secondly alreadly all over the world, retailers are reporting Conroe's as in stock already and taking pre-orders... some sites have even shipped some, like NewEgg and TankGuys...

yourbestfriend

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Cool... I want to see how low the 939 socket stuff goes, before i get one. I don't want to buy a new motherboard. I imagine I will need some 240 pin RAM also.

RichPLS

Champion
Yes, but AM2 requires expensive low latency DDR2 in order to meet or just exceed performance from the transition from Socket 939 CPU's of the same clock speed and this is at stock speed...

Intel's Conroe runs on a quad pumped 266MHz bus for 1066MHz... meaning that you can use cheaper value 266MHz DDR2 which costs much less but still outperforms AMD systems when using DDR2 800, and lower latency on Intel does help performance slightly, but it is not necessary for performance as it is so with AMD...

Also, Intel once again has fab'd a chip that overclocks extremely well, with 40% and greater overclocks being the norm on air and at stock voltage... You never hear that of AMD chips...

yourbestfriend

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I might just put a DX10 video card in my computer(when available) for my next Upgrade

My computer is pretty good... I want to get vista also

I got a 3700+ AMD with 2 gigs of ram and two 7800GT's

Conroe would be cool... hmm now what about Ebay