Cannot boot from CD Rom

This may not be a Windows XP problem, but I don't know where else to turn. I
want to reinstall Windows XP on my computer, so I need to boot from the CR
Rom. Unfornatuly, when I set the boot sequence in my bios setup to boot from
the CE first, it does not. Is this a problem with my bios or is there a
Windows registry item that I can change to make to computer boot from the CD
rather than the hard disk?
5 answers Last reply
More about cannot boot

    In news:OLk0FSjqEHA.896@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    W. Guy Delaney <guyd@verizon.net> typed:

    > This may not be a Windows XP problem, but I don't know where
    > else to
    > turn. I want to reinstall Windows XP on my computer, so I need
    > boot from the CR Rom. Unfornatuly, when I set the boot sequence
    > in my
    > bios setup to boot from the CE first, it does not. Is this a
    > problem
    > with my bios or is there a Windows registry item that I can
    > change to
    > make to computer boot from the CD rather than the hard disk?

    No, it has nothing to do with the Registry, or anything in
    Windows. Determining what device you boot from has to be done
    before Windows boots.

    If the BIOS is correctly set to boot from the CD first, and it
    doesn't boot from the CD you put in the drive, I can only
    conclude that its not a bootable CD.

    Are you sure this is a regular Windows installation CD, and not a
    Windows Restore CD supplied by your OEM?

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    This does not have anything to do with a registry change.

    This is a BIOS setting issue.

    When you changed the boot order in the BIOS did you go to Exit, and choose
    Exit Saving Changes.

    --
    Good Day
    River_Rat

    "W. Guy Delaney" <guyd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    This may not be a Windows XP problem, but I don't know where else to turn. I
    want to reinstall Windows XP on my computer, so I need to boot from the CR
    Rom. Unfornatuly, when I set the boot sequence in my bios setup to boot from
    the CE first, it does not. Is this a problem with my bios or is there a
    Windows registry item that I can change to make to computer boot from the CD
    rather than the hard disk?

    "W. Guy Delaney" <guyd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > This may not be a Windows XP problem, but I don't know where else to
    turn. I
    > want to reinstall Windows XP on my computer, so I need to boot from
    the CR
    > Rom. Unfornatuly, when I set the boot sequence in my bios setup to
    boot from
    > the CE first, it does not. Is this a problem with my bios or is
    there a
    > Windows registry item that I can change to make to computer boot
    from the CD
    > rather than the hard disk?

    On my system, once I make the change in the BIOS to boot from CD and
    reboot, I am prompted to press any key in order to boot from the CD.
    Otherwise, my system will boot from the OS.

    Hi, Guy.

    If you tell us the make and model of your computer, there's a very good
    chance that someone here will recognize it and know how to get it to boot
    from the CD drive. We can't see it, so if you don't tell us, all we can do
    is guess. :>(

    As the others said, this is a hardware problem, not a Windows problem,
    because Windows hasn't even started loaded at that point.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "W. Guy Delaney" <guyd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > This may not be a Windows XP problem, but I don't know where else to turn.
    > I want to reinstall Windows XP on my computer, so I need to boot from the
    > CR Rom. Unfornatuly, when I set the boot sequence in my bios setup to boot
    > from the CE first, it does not. Is this a problem with my bios or is there
    > a Windows registry item that I can change to make to computer boot from
    > the CD rather than the hard disk?

    Because the message is only displayed for 5 secs and then the process moves
    to the next device in the sequence you might be missing the opportunity to
    press a key to boot. Restart the computer with the CD in the drive and
    repeatedly press the spacebar. See it boots. Sometimes a logoscreen can
    conceal the message to "press and key to boot CD"
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "W. Guy Delaney" <guyd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > This may not be a Windows XP problem, but I don't know where else to turn.
    > I want to reinstall Windows XP on my computer, so I need to boot from the
    > CR Rom. Unfornatuly, when I set the boot sequence in my bios setup to boot
    > from the CE first, it does not. Is this a problem with my bios or is there
    > a Windows registry item that I can change to make to computer boot from
    > the CD rather than the hard disk?

Boot Windows XP