I'm buying a 7600 GT...

AndyAldrich

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
on eBay and I'm currently winning at under £40, probably because it's an OEM part and as such won't have any cables/packaging/software.

I have loads of good games that I want to play on it... Doom 3, Quake 4, Far Cry, Half Life 2 (and EP1). My PC currently has a Radeon x700 which is its worst component. I would consider going for an x1800 or 7900 based card if my PSU was more than 350W, but it's not. I don't play games enough to justify buying a new PSU on top of a graphics card.

1) How much do you guys reckon I should put as a maximum bid on this item?

2) If I lose this auction on eBay, do you guys reckon my Enermax 350W PSU could hack powering an x1800 card? I personally doubt it.

3) Any other card recommendations? I wouldn't mind going for an x850PE if it supported HDR, but it doesn't. I also think the PSU couldn't cope with a 6800.

4) If I end up winning this auction, is it true that the nvidia drivers now automatically overclock your GPU and GDDR?

Cheers,
Andy

narcoti

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
I pesonaly suggest you get a better psu and get an MSI nvidia 7600GT because of the massive cooler it has I have one with its stock cooler and it stays at 37C idle and 50C load O/Ced at 611/790x2.

on eBay and I'm currently winning at under £40, probably because it's an OEM part and as such won't have any cables/packaging/software.

I have loads of good games that I want to play on it... Doom 3, Quake 4, Far Cry, Half Life 2 (and EP1). My PC currently has a Radeon x700 which is its worst component. I would consider going for an x1800 or 7900 based card if my PSU was more than 350W, but it's not. I don't play games enough to justify buying a new PSU on top of a graphics card.

2) If I lose this auction on eBay, do you guys reckon my Enermax 350W PSU could hack powering an x1800 card? I personally doubt it.

3) Any other card recommendations? I wouldn't mind going for an x850PE if it supported HDR, but it doesn't. I also think the PSU couldn't cope with a 6800.

4) If I end up winning this auction, is it true that the nvidia drivers now automatically overclock your GPU and GDDR?

Cheers,
Andy

Forget Ebay. This is my suggestion.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131007

The 7600GT would give that card a serious beating.

I agree. But. His 7600GT has no warranty and no guarantee it hasn't been abused (probaly has not). The x800GTO may a bit slower, but it does have a superior 256bit interface. So sure, I agree a 7600GT at 500/1400 or so would beat a x800 GTO at 400/980. When you toss around words like serious beating, I think of Dick the Bruiser. And Dick is the king.

AndyAldrich

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

Newegg isn't an option for me, I live in the UK. The best sites for buying stuff over here are (IMO) www.overclockers.co.uk , www.scan.co.uk , www.ebuyer.co.uk and www.overclock.co.uk

I appreciate the advice on buying an x800 but it's not going to hold up long-term like the 7600 will because its chipset doesn't support so many features. The x800 will also require me to get a new PSU.

As regards warranty, the guy has stated on the auction that if the card is DOA then I'll get my money back. If he'd stated this in a reply to a question then it wouldn't be so legally binding as if he wrote it on a listing.

I'm currently winning the card at less than £40. Standard 7600 GTs usually sell for at least £100.

Upgrading the PSU really isn't an option because I just don't play games on my PC much anymore and don't see myself buying any more for a good while. I would like to run the games I already own at a decent pace/resolution though and my current x700 is pants when it comes to Doom3/Quake 4.

infyrno917

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I'm running an evga 7900gt ko on a 350W no prob, could be because my amd doesnt use much power in the first place though. but what im saying is that you may not need another PSU. i also run an overclocked northwood system on a 350W PSU, with a 6800gs.

aakashsharma191

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
FORGET EVERYTHING YOU would be mindblowed by the CARD SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON X1800GTO,JUST SHIFT TO ATI ONCE AND YOUR MIND WOULD BE SERIOUSLY CHANGED from nvidia to ati,use this card and you would have a pumping action in the games and if you think of 7600gt you are wrong cause it has the 128 bit memory interface whereas this one has the 256 one and this card beats 7600gt when antiliasing and anistropic filtering is ON (seriously)you would'nt believe me but it's the truth.

The x800GTO may a bit slower, but it does have a superior 256bit interface.

Which would you rather have, a faster card or a 256-bit interface? :roll:

I use both, fast 128 bit cards and 256 bit cards. I prefer the 256 bit cards. I have a working knowledge of computers, certainly not technical knowledge. I suggested the $89 ATI card because it was cheap (and adequate in my mind compared to an Ebay 7600Gt). I own both 7600GT and x800GTO. Right now I need a new card for my Pentium D 805 Smithfield I built last month. I want to go ATI with this one. I want 256 bit interface for sure. I am thinking x850xt or for around double the price x1800xt. Any thoughts:

Pentium D 805 Smithfield @3.5
Asus Micro P5LD2-VM 945G
OCZ Gold PC5400 667 mhz. 512 x4
WD SATA 74g Raptor
Aspire X-QPack 3 windows
Coolermaster Hyper L3 coppercore H/F
xInfinity 500 PSU
Sony DVD-ROM
Pioneer DVD-RW
Logitech 2.1

I currently use this as a backup rig to my main personal computer. I've mentioned this before, but I have 15 computers running between home and business. Tanks.

aakashsharma191

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Well if cant buy the atix1800gto then NO PROBLEM man you could go for the SAPPHIRE ATIX1600PRO with a 256-bit interface too 8) SERIOUSLY THIS CARD WOULD ROCK YOU.It supports both dvi and d-sub outputs

arcanine

Distinguished
May 28, 2005
hey GUys

What is up with the x1800gto and 7600GT?
Tom's hardware forums said that if i have the money, I should go for x1800GTO since it overclocks better than 7600GT...

but since Im new to GPU overclocking, I tried to find articles on overclocking the x1800GTO but what the hell..I found this http://legitreviews.com/article/313/1/

which results in the 7600GT having better marks for more than half the benchies. I wouldn't want to spend the extra money for a lesser performance card right...
Anyways...is it because the 1800Gto hasnt been overclocked? thats why its a lesser performer than 7600GT at stock conditions? but still if even the overclocking results in only a little performance gain, I would definetely pick the 7600GT..especially when theres a price difference
and of course if you have any websites that has this or on how to overclock the x1800gto, please post it on here thanks!

Cheers,
Andy
The 7600GT is nice but will be a near to low end performance wise this fall when the DX10 cards arrive. Nvidia's G80 is set for september to October and ATI's R600 is comming November for the 80nm and December for the 65nm faster GPU's.

The 7600GT has no warranty possible even for the current owner as OEM's supplyers will only warranty the item for a year. I would question if the current owner has run into this problem and for the card could be DOA or have other problems.

chenBrazil

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Your power supply can handle a pure 6800 as it does not have any external power connector and rely only on PCiexpress power. Others as GT or Ultra require external power and may not be serviced with a 350 W power...

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I have a working knowledge of computers, certainly not technical knowledge. I suggested the $89 ATI card because it was cheap (and adequate in my mind compared to an Ebay 7600Gt).
If you would read the first post
you'd see that he's hoping to get it for £40, which is less than $89 USD; not only that, but the 7600GT is actually faster than the X800GTO by a great margin.

I have a working knowledge of computers, certainly not technical knowledge. I suggested the $89 ATI card because it was cheap (and adequate in my mind compared to an Ebay 7600Gt).
If you would read the first post
you'd see that he's hoping to get it for £40, which is less than $89 USD; not only that, but the 7600GT is actually faster than the X800GTO by a great margin.

As far as reading the gosphel of the OP, maybe the guy could post the Ebay link. He should have said, "'I'm getting a used 7600GT for whatever great deal He was hoping for."

TRENDING THREADS