  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 5:13:29 PM

Do most of the commercial voip providers, Vonage, Callvantage, etc. use the
same ports? I'd like to block voip traffic at our Cisco 26xx router and was
wondering if there was an easy way to do it...

Thanks
Dave

More about : blocking voip router level

August 10, 2005 10:53:48 PM

I guess you could create an ACL to deny SIP traffic. Without SIP you
won't be able to get call setup messages through the router. You may
also want to include H.323 as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: Henry Cabot Henhouse III [mailto:sooper_chicken@hotmail.com]
Posted At: Monday, August 08, 2005 4:13 PM
Posted To: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip
Conversation: Blocking voip at the router level
Subject: Blocking voip at the router level

Do most of the commercial voip providers, Vonage, Callvantage, etc. use
the same ports? I'd like to block voip traffic at our Cisco 26xx router
and was wondering if there was an easy way to do it...

Thanks
Dave
August 11, 2005 2:41:32 AM

Then us sneaky people can use IAX :D

"abomb" <abomb_60@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I guess you could create an ACL to deny SIP traffic. Without SIP you
> won't be able to get call setup messages through the router. You may
> also want to include H.323 as well.

August 11, 2005 2:41:33 AM

Sneaky nerd type people you mean :)

What is this modern technology you speak of, this IAX-D? If someone had an
off the shelf Vonage or Callvantage box, would this be easy for them to
configure?

"Paul" <webster1@ihatespam.nizon.ca> wrote in message
> Then us sneaky people can use IAX :D
>
> "abomb" <abomb_60@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I guess you could create an ACL to deny SIP traffic. Without SIP you
>> won't be able to get call setup messages through the router. You may
>> also want to include H.323 as well.

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 4:58:12 PM

Henry Cabot Henhouse III wrote:
> Sneaky nerd type people you mean :)
>
> What is this modern technology you speak of, this IAX-D? If someone had an
> off the shelf Vonage or Callvantage box, would this be easy for them to
> configure?

It's IAX, not IAX-D. The ":D " was a smiley.

IAX is a prtocol used for VOIP, like SIP. The major difference between
it and SIP is that both the control and data go on the same udp port,
and the software demultiplexes the call data and control data.

GIYF. ;-)

http://www.americasnetwork.com/americasnetwork/article/...

--
DO NOT REPLY TO THE EMAIL ADDRESS
IN THE HEADERS OF THIS POST.

Well that would require an Asterisk PBX. I suppose in that case you
would also need to block SCCP (for Cisco Phones) and Unistim (for Nortel
Phones).

I guess you could simply block RTP. Then phones may ring but no actual
voice will be sent or received. That always makes for confused users :)

Posted At: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 6:42 PM
Subject: Re: Blocking voip at the router level

Then us sneaky people can use IAX :D

"abomb" <abomb_60@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I guess you could create an ACL to deny SIP traffic. Without SIP you
> won't be able to get call setup messages through the router. You may
> also want to include H.323 as well.

August 22, 2005 12:14:56 PM

"Henry Cabot Henhouse III" <sooper_chicken@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Do most of the commercial voip providers, Vonage, Callvantage, etc. use
> the same ports? I'd like to block voip traffic at our Cisco 26xx router
> and was wondering if there was an easy way to do it...

Just block the RTP stream.

Jonathan