    -----Original Message-----
    From: Henry Cabot Henhouse III [mailto:sooper_chicken@hotmail.com]
    Posted At: Monday, August 08, 2005 4:13 PM
    Posted To: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip
    Conversation: Blocking voip at the router level
    Subject: Blocking voip at the router level

    Do most of the commercial voip providers, Vonage, Callvantage, etc. use
    the same ports? I'd like to block voip traffic at our Cisco 26xx router
    and was wondering if there was an easy way to do it...

    Thanks
    Dave

    Then us sneaky people can use IAX :D

    "abomb" <abomb_60@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I guess you could create an ACL to deny SIP traffic. Without SIP you
    > won't be able to get call setup messages through the router. You may
    > also want to include H.323 as well.

    Sneaky nerd type people you mean :)

    What is this modern technology you speak of, this IAX-D? If someone had an
    off the shelf Vonage or Callvantage box, would this be easy for them to
    configure?

    Henry Cabot Henhouse III wrote:
    > Sneaky nerd type people you mean :)
    >
    > What is this modern technology you speak of, this IAX-D? If someone had an
    > off the shelf Vonage or Callvantage box, would this be easy for them to
    > configure?

    It's IAX, not IAX-D. The ":D" was a smiley.

    IAX is a prtocol used for VOIP, like SIP. The major difference between
    it and SIP is that both the control and data go on the same udp port,
    and the software demultiplexes the call data and control data.

    GIYF. ;-)

    http://www.americasnetwork.com/americasnetwork/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=102314

    --
    DO NOT REPLY TO THE EMAIL ADDRESS
    IN THE HEADERS OF THIS POST.

    Well that would require an Asterisk PBX. I suppose in that case you
    would also need to block SCCP (for Cisco Phones) and Unistim (for Nortel
    Phones).

    I guess you could simply block RTP. Then phones may ring but no actual
    voice will be sent or received. That always makes for confused users :)

    Posted At: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 6:42 PM
    Subject: Re: Blocking voip at the router level

    Then us sneaky people can use IAX :D

    "abomb" <abomb_60@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I guess you could create an ACL to deny SIP traffic. Without SIP you
    > won't be able to get call setup messages through the router. You may
    > also want to include H.323 as well.

  6. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    "Henry Cabot Henhouse III" <sooper_chicken@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Do most of the commercial voip providers, Vonage, Callvantage, etc. use
    > the same ports? I'd like to block voip traffic at our Cisco 26xx router
    > and was wondering if there was an easy way to do it...

    Just block the RTP stream.

    Jonathan

vpn Routers VoIP Networking