Active Directory Policy Inheritence

kory

Distinguished
May 18, 2005

I have Active Directory with mulitple OU created under the domain. There is
a group policy set at the domain level and then there some group policies
set under each OU. I wanted to disable Windows XP firewall through GP, so I
went and updated the GP for Windows XP (I'm running 2000 AD) and XP firewall
options appeared. So then I went and disable the firewall options. Some
time later I went back and looked at GP on the OU's and they were not
updated. Also, I checked an XP machine in that OU and the Firewall was not
disabled. My question is how does Policy get propogated into OU's from the
main domain Level? What did I do wrong?

"Kory" wrote:
> I have Active Directory with mulitple OU created under the
> domain. There is
> a group policy set at the domain level and then there some
> group policies
> set under each OU. I wanted to disable Windows XP firewall
> through GP, so I
> went and updated the GP for Windows XP (I'm running 2000 AD)
> and XP firewall
> options appeared. So then I went and disable the firewall
> options. Some
> time later I went back and looked at GP on the OU's and they
> were not
> updated. Also, I checked an XP machine in that OU and the
> Firewall was not
> disabled. My question is how does Policy get propogated into
> OU's from the
> main domain Level? What did I do wrong?

Hi,

1st of all DNS must be working properly for Group Policies to work.
Make sure DNS is setup properly
http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000/dns.htm

2nd. I would do this setting at the Default Domain GP level or at
least create a Computers OU for all your computers and put it in a GP
on that OU. Computers must be inside an OU that the Group Policy is
on or above.

3rd if the settings aren’t in the Group Policy then maybe they weren’t
saved or the group policy was deleted. Just reset them.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-Policy-Inheritence-ftopict374541.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1217421