DCpromo not promoting

Tim

Hi There,

I have just upgraded a PDC running NT4 Server to 2003 Server standard
edition. I have removed it from the domain and left the BDC in place and have
a new Server that i have installed another copy of Server 2003 standard
edition on. My problems is this: The upgraded PDC is now on a seperate switch
and i am trying to promote the new 2003 server to a DC in a existing domain
on the same switch. I get the error message during the DCpromo wizard saying
the the wizard could not find a Active Directory domain server for the
domain. I am at a loss here and don't know where to go from here. I have
establised DNS resolution and created the computer account in AD and have
successfully joined the new server to the domain as a member, but it still
won't install AD. I am not sure if it is because the existing domain was
originally an NT 4 server PDC upgraded to 2003 server?? Please help!!

Thanks

Tim

"Tim129" wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> I have just upgraded a PDC running NT4 Server to 2003 Server
> standard
> edition. I have removed it from the domain and left the BDC in
> place and have
> a new Server that i have installed another copy of Server 2003
> standard
> edition on. My problems is this: The upgraded PDC is now on a
> seperate switch
> and i am trying to promote the new 2003 server to a DC in a
> existing domain
> on the same switch. I get the error message during the DCpromo
> wizard saying
> the the wizard could not find a Active Directory domain server
> for the
> domain. I am at a loss here and don't know where to go from
> here. I have
> establised DNS resolution and created the computer account in
> AD and have
> successfully joined the new server to the domain as a member,
> but it still
> won't install AD. I am not sure if it is because the existing
> domain was
> originally an NT 4 server PDC upgraded to 2003 server?? Please
> help!!
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim

Have you any errors in the Event Log on the server you upgraded from
NT?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-DCpromo-promoting-ftopict374684.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1217660