Sign in with
Your question

Ok is it the card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 16, 2006 5:47:52 PM

Sorry guys, I been through a load of trouble with a new gaming rig i built....

AMD 64 Athlon 4000+
8AN Sli Premium Motherboard
2 gig memory
2 x Gainward 512mb special edition 7900 GTX PCX SLI
psu is X-power 700 watt SLi compatable
2 x 200 GB Maxtor HDD

I install any driver and it says the cards are not connected via an sli bridge. (it is) I even tried 3 different bridges and i doubt there all faulty. One seemed to work for a while but not it doesnt. I keep getting a baloon after i install a driver that says SLI is running but the cards arnt connected via an sli connector.

I swapped the cards over today and the second card makes the screen slightly blurry and cant display black properly. I swapped the cards over again and its all gone back to normal. You think the second card is playing up??

any ANY help is appreciated.

Karri

More about : card

July 16, 2006 5:52:49 PM

Also, i dissabled SLI and gone back to 1 card because its P^&&*$g me off. when i restarted it said SLi has been dissabled because 1 card has been removed. Is that normal?
July 16, 2006 6:27:58 PM

Quote:
Sorry guys, I been through a load of trouble with a new gaming rig i built....

AMD 64 Athlon 4000+
8AN Sli Premium Motherboard
2 gig memory
2 x Gainward 512mb special edition 7900 GTX PCX SLI
psu is X-power 700 watt SLi compatable
2 x 200 GB Maxtor HDD

I install any driver and it says the cards are not connected via an sli bridge. (it is) I even tried 3 different bridges and i doubt there all faulty. One seemed to work for a while but not it doesnt. I keep getting a baloon after i install a driver that says SLI is running but the cards arnt connected via an sli connector.

I swapped the cards over today and the second card makes the screen slightly blurry and cant display black properly. I swapped the cards over again and its all gone back to normal. You think the second card is playing up??

any ANY help is appreciated.

Karri

Try a different driver for your sli setup. You might try 8.4.2.1 here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

Be sure you seat the cards in the PCIE slots fully and correctly. After the machine is running, you might check for vibration from the fans on the cards. Your problem is more likely a drver issue. Try a different Nvidia driver than the recent 9.1.3.1.
Related resources
July 16, 2006 11:35:57 PM

Those drivers didnt work there too old and my cards wont load them. I disabled sli for a while and selected 1 card, played a game for a few hours. then installed the latest drivers again. then switched to duel cards and installed the drivers again. the sli screen failed to load up first time. so tryied again in the cntr panel and enabled sli and no error screen!!!

the games play a little smoother and i can actuall get gpu load balancing up. Im not entirely sure that the sli is totally enabled as the error message never appears the second time around anyway but just incase it is working i will never toutch my comp again.....ever....exepct to change the psu but thats it!!! 8O

anyone else get these kind of problems? it makes me wanna forget sli completely sometimes.
July 20, 2006 2:20:30 AM

I say you should test each card in a single setup individually to determine if one is bad. Otherwise, use the drivers that came with you card(s) on the cd, and before you install drivers, read the changes that come with the drivers to see if it fixes your problem or not, and whether it will cause additional problems. 3dchipset.com is a good place to start with that. (btw, TWO 7900GTX CARDS!?! YOU'RE FREAKING RICH MAN!) Try updating drivers using a single card and testing both individually. If both cards work the same as the other, try sli. Otherwise, staying with the drivers your card came with wont hurt a bit.
July 20, 2006 9:29:29 AM

Well first of all, have you called gainward tech support, or exchanged the cards to make sure taht isn't the problem? There have been some issues with the 7900 series of cards, at least more then normal it seems. Sometiems its usual error but im going to guess otherwise. The latest drivers from nvidia's website would be a good start, that includes the motherboard nforce 4 drivers. brand new as of july 7th.

Also if its a local store purchase, try returning them and do an exchange. call gainward tech support see what they have to say, they may want you to rma them for some new ones. Also its possible it could be the motherboard.

All you can do is try to eliminate with a known good. For example go to local store like best buy or circuit city or even compusa if you have one buy 2 new cards, that work in sli. If they work fine then you know its the current cards.

Hope one of those work good luck.
July 20, 2006 12:49:44 PM

Well I swapped the cards over and got the purple screen again. I took each card out and tried them sepperatly and one was always purple with a slight blur. tried various drivers and forceware. I think it's safe to say that one card is defective don't you?

I contacted the store i bought it from over the internet and have to send it back for testing.

:( 

im not having much luck.
!