Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Anyone else here play this yet? I'm trying to make my mind up as to whether or not I prefer the old version....

They have changed all the voices which is a shame as the germans had some cracking lines.

Weapons feel real but have lost their accuracy. Maybe I just need to readjust I dunno.

I doooo like the new engine however. It maybe doesn't feel as gritty as the last but despite being sceptical over things like ragdolls it's won me over. Specially when bullets hit surfaces and dirt flies off. Looks great when a whole group of people lay down fire on a sniping position.

Does anyone else play this and do you have any regular servers you meet on?

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm in love with DoD Source at the moment... I don't like the thompson being such a pw0ning l33t (sorry, I'll stop the leet speak... n0w) weapon whilst the German SMG is a load of toss, but then may all my worries be little ones...

I also think that the shell-shock could be done a little better - I think CS: Source has that down, and DoD Source should follow the example as opposed to more or less imposing an image on on your screen for a few seconds.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
I find some servers suffer from the physics aspect as well. Some servers I've played on are fine. Others get laggy for a second when lots of nades and bodies are flying. It's damn annoying.

EDIT: Also the rifles don't feel right. It seems nigh on impossible to get consitant kills with the garand.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by wolfy on 10/14/05 10:30 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
Man they ripped me off lol i got the gold package but it still says i have to pay for it. this seems like its been answered before...it better have been because i want dod:s any ideads? Thank You

Looking for a fender jaguar/ jag-stang. has to be a lefty.
Email: CharlesJReel@hotmail.com

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Does the gold package state you get DoD:S free? If so shoot an email off to valve or whoever it is.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
I play it some and I love it. I suck at it though, which probably means that a lot of skill is required to play this right. At least I have to adapt my CSS play style.

What I like best about it is the use of HDR, really awesome feature (which CSS and HL2 arent using yet, HL2:Lost Coast will have it though)

BigMac

<font color=green>(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.</font color=green>

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
I suck terribly at it. It's weird. I can play HL2 deathmatch and am dissappointed if I don't get within the top 4 and this is with no practise, just straight in and play. Yet with DoD:S I'm getting frustrated because I'm being completely n00bed. It's driving me mad. As well as the constant choke/loss I'm experiencing with playing HL2 based games online.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
As well as the constant choke/loss I'm experiencing with playing HL2 based games online.

That is a bug which was introduced not too long ago. I hope they resolve it soon. I have the same problem.

BigMac

<font color=green>(\__/)

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Oh thank god. I thought it was only me. I searched the day of defeat forums and it's unclear as to what your settings should be.

I have tried cl_updaterate at slightly above default and then up to 101

Likewise with CL_cmdrate

and I've changed my rate to all different numbers. Nothing improves it. The problem seems to be with what they call "low tick rate" servers (tick rate of 66 or less) and I havent the foggiest what that means. What I do know is some servers are worse than others and it's a complete headwreck to have a ping of 15 to 20ish only to still suffer sodding lag. The most annoying is that you can't tell what the server tick rate is so it's a trial and error type situation.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
tickrate determines the number of times a server-client update is done (per second I believe, but I'm not an expert), determined from serverside. At the client side you can also set the rate, and surprise, surprise, it doesnt help to set your client rate higher than the server supported rate. However if your internet connection sucks, you can reduce the nr of updates client side.

BigMac

<font color=green>(\__/)

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
where would it say that? it dosent show up on the menu for me to download it but when i try to do the paid version it says it comes with my gold package....wtf

Looking for a fender jaguar/ jag-stang. has to be a lefty.
Email: CharlesJReel@hotmail.com

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
I've found the problem. For whatever reason Zonealarm has been causing the trouble. Despite having my games set as trusted and allowed having Zonealarm running causing packet loss. Noooooo idea why this should be the case but it is. The downside to this is having to leave my pc open to the net which I do not like doing....

EDIT: After looking at the zonealarm forum it seems this is a problem others are having.... Will have to get a new firewall app.
"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by wolfy on 10/18/05 04:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Zone Alarm is a really good firewall, only problem is that it kills some of your bandwidth.

Hey, drop in on our 101 Clan servers at: If you see Maj.Mofo tell him you are from Tom's Forums.

63.215.74.164:27015 and 63.215.74.54:27015

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Will do tonight LP.