Cingular divesting assets....What does this mean to the cu..

Last response: in Network Providers
October 26, 2004 10:30:44 PM

I live in a county which Cingular has to "divest". What does this mean to
me? I have Cingular as my cellular company.
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 12:17:34 AM

In <oJwfd.10175$ta5.6954@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Tue, 26 Oct 2004
18:30:44 GMT, "DG" <DG@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I live in a county which Cingular has to "divest". What does this mean to
>me? I have Cingular as my cellular company.

I haven't seen the terms of the divestiture, but I'm guessing that Cingular
will have to get rid of some but not all spectrum in the affected areas, thus
still being able to provide service, although that service might (or might
not) be degraded due to reduced spectrum.

October 27, 2004 12:17:35 AM

In article <yhyfd.1202$_3.20141@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> >I live in a county which Cingular has to "divest". What does this mean to
> >me? I have Cingular as my cellular company.
>
> I haven't seen the terms of the divestiture, but I'm guessing

In other words, John, you don't know--but you're exercising your
self-given right to flap your jaw meaninglessly solely because you like
the sound of your voice.
October 27, 2004 2:10:18 AM

In article <oJwfd.10175$ta5.6954@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
"DG" <DG@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I live in a county which Cingular has to "divest". What does this mean to
> me? I have Cingular as my cellular company.

Best case - It may be ATTWS assests that are being divested, and
will not affect you at all

Middle case - They are selling off ATTWS retail stores.

Worst case - you may need a new phone
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 3:44:15 AM

DG,
It seems Cingular has accepted both the DOJ and FCC terms. If so, most
likely, nothing will change for existing Cingular customers. The
more-restrictive FCC directive has specifically said Cingular must divest
those AT&T assets that puts them over the specified threshold. However, in
a few markets, the FCC only stipulated that Cingular needs to divest 10 MHz
of spectrum, without stating which 10 MHz. It could be from Cingular
spectrum. While that is possible, it would be less likely since it would
require integrating the AT&T spectrum when they could just sell it.

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

"DG" <DG@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o Jwfd.10175$ta5.6954@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> I live in a county which Cingular has to "divest". What does this mean to
> me? I have Cingular as my cellular company.

October 27, 2004 10:08:33 AM

John Navas wrote:

> I haven't seen the terms of the divestiture, but I'm guessing that Cingular
> will have to get rid of some but not all spectrum in the affected areas, thus
> still being able to provide service, although that service might (or might
> not) be degraded due to reduced spectrum.

That depends on if you think a meager 70 MHz of spectrum is a degradation:

As a condition of FCC approval of the deal, Cingular has agreed to
divest certain AT&T Wireless assets in Oklahoma, Texas, Kentucky,
Arkansas, Connecticut, Mississippi, and Missouri, as well as some excess
spectrum in Dallas and Detroit. The company is also limited to a maximum
of 70 MHz of radio spectrum total in any one market.

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=990
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 11:11:18 AM

In <elmop-A2ABA4.18000926102004@text.usenetserver.com> on Tue, 26 Oct 2004
18:00:09 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <yhyfd.1202$_3.20141@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> >I live in a county which Cingular has to "divest". What does this mean to
>> >me? I have Cingular as my cellular company.
>>
>> I haven't seen the terms of the divestiture, but I'm guessing
>
>In other words, John, you don't know--but you're exercising your
>self-given right to flap your jaw ...

Just like you.

October 27, 2004 11:22:31 AM

> However, in
> a few markets, the FCC only stipulated that Cingular needs to divest 10
> MHz
> of spectrum, without stating which 10 MHz. It could be from Cingular
> spectrum. While that is possible, it would be less likely since it would
> require integrating the AT&T spectrum when they could just sell it.

It will depend on which license is (built out)/(built out more).

If they have one ATT pcs license that is built out,
and one Cingular pcs license that is not built out,
then it is a sure bet that the Cingular one is going to get kicked out.

If the ATT one is not built out, then it's going to get kicked out!
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 5:06:40 AM

>I live in a county which Cingular has to "divest". What does this mean to
>me? I have Cingular as my cellular company.

You probably won't even notice the change!

--
John S.