A little help with my PC

A1e3m

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Ok here it is, i have a p4 2.4 dell pc that i bought a while ago, 256 ram and a 40 gig hdd....basically its a old pc about 4 years old....Since then i've upgraded the ram to 512, and i put in a western digital 250 gig hdd, plus a new ATI x800 all in wonder card, and i started to feel the system run intable, i downloaded a temp monitor to monitor hdd and the temp for both hdd runs about 119 at max load...any idea what to do...never changed power supply also...

Scarchunk

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
A recent batch of Western Digital Hdd have a known issue where there temp sensors are calibrated incorrectly. My WD Hdd reports a temp of 56C!! I wrote to Western Digital about the temp and they replied that the disk temp is wrong and that other than that the disk is fine. Put your hand on the disk and you'll probably feel that the disk is warm at most. Sorry that doesn't help with your instability issue.

Ok here it is, i have a p4 2.4 dell pc that i bought a while ago, 256 ram and a 40 gig hdd....basically its a old pc about 4 years old....Since then i've upgraded the ram to 512, and i put in a western digital 250 gig hdd, plus a new ATI x800 all in wonder card, and i started to feel the system run intable, i downloaded a temp monitor to monitor hdd and the temp for both hdd runs about 119 at max load...any idea what to do...never changed power supply also...

Check to see if you PSU is running hot to the touch, exhaust. Feel the case above the PSU and see if the case is hot. Being built four years ago, the PSU could be as low as a 250w unit and may need an upgrade. Also, clean out any dust from inside the case. Especially the CPU heatsink/fan. Canned air works pretty well. Clean the dust from the fans and add new, faster and larger fans if possible. Hope this helps solve you instability problem.

A1e3m

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
hey thanks , this helps out alot i cleaned out the dust from the case its running much more efficient now...