agp graphics card advice

hey, just wondering what you guys thought, im currently looking for a new graphics card to replace my dated ati 128mb 9600pro, at this point im considering nvidia only (dont want ati, linux issues etc).

i have a 2.4gig p4 (only 533fsb not the 800) and 1 gig of ram.

will my cpu (which is fairly dated) be the limiting factor in my pc setup which means that going for a mid to high range card will be pointless?

im only looking for a sort of 6month stop gap til i build a new pc (hopefully with conroe or 4 core processors by then).

so far ive looked at the 6800gs (for around £150ish) or the 7800gs (for around £180), is it worth spending the extra on the 7800gs or will my cpu limit it so a 6800gs will be fine?

also if anyone has any other suggestions for possible cards go ahead and suggest away, i shall be purchasing next week

thanks in advanced for your help.
12 answers Last reply
More about graphics card advice
  1. If the 7800GS doesnt break the bank for you, that would be my choice.

.........actually, that was my choice :roll:
  2. The CPU shouldn't hold bacj the 7800GS. If you can spend the extra money, go for the 7800GS.
  3. For 6 months? I'd get a used 6800 GT on ebay, or maybe the 6800 GS you were looking at.
    Just make sure itr has a 256-bit memory interface.

The 7800 GS is a little pricey for a 6 month tour. Costs about the same as a 7900 GT in PCIe, but the 7900 GT will eat it alive. ZThe money'd be better spent holding on to it for 6 months for the new cards...
  4. is a Gainward Bliss GF 6800GS 512MB AGP Golden Sample, 8x AGP DVI, HDTV Out worth it over a normal 6800gs? i know the card isnt really fast enough to make proper use of the 512mb of ram, however the clocks are clocked higher than standard clock speeds, and by quite a margin:

450+MHz core clock, 1200+MHz memory clock.
  5. Depends on the price, if it's around the $200 mark I'd say go for it.
  6. its about £160 (about $290), a 'normal' 6800gs however is about £150 ($275)
  7. Ouch those prices hurt.

Look, I know you can get a used 6800 GT on ebay around the $150 USD mark the last time I checked... that'll give you in the neighborhood of 90% the performance of a 7800 GS (at stock clocks), and is much better than most 6800 GS' (although that gainward looks nice).

The 7800 GS is a monster overclocker though, so if you have the cash and inclination it's a much better modder, but if you're into a 6-month stopgap card and you're not an overclocker, the 6800 GT looks real sweet...

If you need to buy new though, the gainward 6800 GS is definitely worth the extra $$ over the other ones - assuming the 7800 GS isn't close in price over there.
  8. just orderd the: Gainward GeForce 6800GS "BLISS" 512MB GDDR3

it has:

512mb 1.4ns DDR3 memory
    450+MHz core clock
    1200+MHz memory clock

any way, not the 'best' card ever, but certainly a stepup from my ati radeon 9600pro 128mb :D

was only like $30 (£10 or so) more than a 'normal' 6800gs and they only have a 350mhz core, which means an extra 100mhz, which can only be a good thing :)
  9. Yep, with those clockspeeds it's probably as fast as the AGP 6800 GT. A very good stopgap card.
  10. thank you cleeve for your thoughts/advice/help on this, much appreciated.
  11. Ouch, those prices are killers for sure. :cry: That card should hold you over very well for six months or even longer. And I agree it was worth the 10 pounds more to get the Gainward. But if you have the money, I would have spent the 180 for the 7800GS over the 160 for a 6800GS OC. It's worth the 12% more IMO.
  12. For 6 months, I wouldn't spend that much on a 7800 GS.

That being said, I have a similar system (2.4 P4 on 533 bus, 1.5GB RAM) and I purchased the 7800 GS OC from BFG, upgraded from a 9800 PRO I've had for 2 years and I don't regret it one bit.

Oblivion and FEAR run nicely, not to mention some older games that were a bit choppy before (KOTOR 2, Gothic 2, Dark Age Of Camelot for example).

Of course I don't plan on upgrading to PCI-E for at least another year, maybe a year and a half, so getting the 7800 GS made sense for me (especially since I wanted to play Oblivion in all it's glory!).

But if you're still playing mostly older games or like you said, plan on upgrading soon, get something cheaper.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics