new build WON'T POST

hijodeltiger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
i just purchased an asus p5nd2-sli and a pentium d 805. i also purchased some g.skill 2x1gb ddr2 800, as well as an evga 7600 gt ko.
i finished installing everything and it just doesn't want to post.
any help would be appreciated.

p.s. is the mobo compatible with 805 out of box, anyone knows?
or is there something else that might be incompatible?

hijodeltiger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
i forgot to mention that it has an antec smartpower 450W, the one that comes with the sonata case. also, it has a seagate 7200.10 250gb.
I need help, please!!

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
do you get any error beep codes?
do any of the lights come on or any fans spin?

disconnect everything but the processor and fan, one stick of memory and your vidcard. see if it will post. if not swap stick of memory and try again

hijodeltiger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
i lost the case speaker as the sonata got rid of it and gave a spare one instead. stupid me. but everything seemed to be running normally. the vid card was spinning, as was the processor fan.
could it be that the mobo supports ddr2 667 mem, and i am installing ddr2 800. i thought it would and the mem was simply overclocking memory.

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
if it can't run at the rams slated spd it will just run slower so that shouldn't be an issue. do you get any video even just for a second

hijodeltiger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
i don't want to sound ungrateful, but ther's no video at all, and i already tried the readjusting the connector. any more ideas.
could it be that the motherboar has 8 holes for the atx 12V connector for the processor.

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
it could be, check your mb manual the pin connector may only work if its connected to the correct side of the eight pin connector. it does have to be plugged in to the eight pin connector though

hijodeltiger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
there seems to be only one way to connect it. i had it right. and i found the little speaker and when i turn the machine on, i get a loud and long beep. i don't know what to do. the board revision is 1.03

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
there seems to be only one way to connect it. i had it right. and i found the little speaker and when i turn the machine on, i get a loud and long beep. i don't know what to do. the board revision is 1.03
one long beep is memory
try one stick of ram.
if it posts set it manually to 667 and try two in dual channel

hijodeltiger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
i have tried that, and it just won't post. i tried it in every dimm socket.
could it be that the ram is incompatible with the board?
because the user's manual has a list and i don't know how to check for the chips without breaking the warranty.

hijodeltiger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
no. even if i try that on every socket, it won't post.
actually when i take all of the ram out, i get a different beeping signal, more like beep-beep-beep and repeat.
now, when i go with even 1 stick it takes about 1 second and then it beeps as long as it's on.
do you think it's a ram thing? should i return it and get a different set?
or could it be the processor?

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
One long beep is ram. One continuous beep is ram/video error
Unless you’re just underpowered (I think your ok) with that psu you’re in need of supported ram for that mobo.
If you have one long continuous beep your likely dealing more with video or lack of power to the gpu.

hijodeltiger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
i will ask for my friend's enermax liberty 500W and check to see if is the PS and also i'm gonna get his 7800gtx just in case. and i'll also try the 7600gt on his to see what happens. too bad he's got an athlon x2 4400; i'm going to be left out from checking my ram.
thanks dude.
but this is far from over.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
also the D805 is supported but needs bios 601 to support it.
you are having way too much fun .
you should post your wish list here so you wont have this type of experience

hijodeltiger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
i tried swapping PSUs. didn't work.
tried swapping video cards. didn't work.
tried my vid card on other computer. vid card works fine. actually it's a pretty damn good vid card for the money.
tried everything but changing CPUs as i don't have a spare.

what do you think i should do?
return mobo, or CPU, or RAM?

Boostnjuice

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I had a bad D 805 new out of the box, I was unsure at first but I bought a new one localy and it worked fine, then I RMA'ed the bad one for a refund.

hijodeltiger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
should i rma the motherboard, the cpu, or the ram? since i don't have access to a parallel set of these components.
please give your thoughts.

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
If you don't have access to parallel versions of all 3, then I'd suggest starting with the easiest to replace components first

RMA the memory first, that seems the most likely culprit, and ensure that you get RAM that is listed compatible. Ensure you follow the list in the manual (NOT the manufacturers website) as the website version may include modules that have had compatibility introduced with newer BIOS updates (and of course you cant update your BIOS if the machine won't post!).

Next, try RMAing the CPU.

If you STILL cant get the machine to boot (we've ruled out the video card) then you will need to get the motherboard replaced.

If after ALL that it STILL wont work - consider yourself extremely unlucky, demand a full refund, and order your kit from somewhere else from the ground up.

I don't mean to patronise you but... have you checked that the motherboard is seated properly?

One of my PC builds didnt POST, and it turned out the motherboard was slightly bowed around the CPU (I had a SHIT socket that required about 8 tons of force to seat the heatsink/fan). The motherboard was shorting on the metal case. I bent the motherboard back into shape with a screwdriver (not recommended) and voila, it worked!

So, try taking out your entire motherboard, make sure no screws etc have got lost in there, make sure you have fitted all the motherboard spacers correctly, then reseat the motherboard and components.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
RMA the whole lot to save yourself time and hassle - I always try to buy my bits from the same place for this very eventuality, as otherwise it's a case of 'well the mobo is fine, it must be your ram' and 'the ram is ok, it must be your mobo'.

DOA parts aren't that uncommon in my experience.

hijodeltiger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
i did an out of the box experience to check everything out. even cleared the CMOS. nop. didn't POST.
so i think i'm just going to RMA the RAM. like dave said.
i hate this. i was so damn impressed with the 7600gt. i mean f.e.a.r. at 10x7 at max settings smooth as eggs, for 160. god damn!
but anyways, you guys think i should keep that motherboard? is it a good mobo after all?
thanks to all of you guys.
noob's second try was very unlucky.
i just now found out it was the ram. it says intel platform only. i thought it was referring to the CPU, but it seems it was talking about the chipset.

thank you anyways. thanks a lot.