"naming information cannot be located"

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 22, 2005 2:50:04 PM

Hi,

I have a DC installed, everything works good (dhcp, dns ...) but when i
click on "Active directory users and computers", i get the error:

"naming information cannot be located; the network path was not found"

Can anybody help me?
thanks
bob
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 2:50:05 PM

"Naming Information cannot be located" error message when you try to open the Active Directory Users and Computers tool or the
Active Directory Sites and Services tool in Windows 2000 Server
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887431

"Windows 2000 Default Group Policy Restore Tool"
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=b5b685ae-b7dd-4bb5-ab2a-976d6873129d&displaylang=en

Also, make sure the Windows Time Service (W32Time) is started.
If it's not, start it, and then restart the server.

"What Is Windows Time Service?"
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...

"How Windows Time Service Works"
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...

Austin M. Horst
May 23, 2005 7:02:04 PM

Thanks, but i doesn't work.
I downloaded Recreate DefPol.exe, ran it, rebooted the computer, but still
same error.
Maybe you have another clue?
Thanks
ben

"Austin M. Horst" <anonymous@microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o ZdvxsrXFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> "Naming Information cannot be located" error message when you try to open
the Active Directory Users and Computers tool or the
> Active Directory Sites and Services tool in Windows 2000 Server
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887431
>
> "Windows 2000 Default Group Policy Restore Tool"

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=b5b685ae-b7dd-4bb5-ab2a-976d6873129d&displaylang=en

> Also, make sure the Windows Time Service (W32Time) is started.
> If it's not, start it, and then restart the server.
>
> "What Is Windows Time Service?"

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...

> "How Windows Time Service Works"

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...

> Austin M. Horst

May 23, 2005 7:02:05 PM

Check the Time Service again.
Does the Windows Time Service stay started, or is something causing it to stop?

"Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237675
"Frequently asked questions about Windows 2000 DNS and Windows Server 2003 DNS"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291382

Austin M. Horst
May 24, 2005 5:57:14 PM

Hi,

The Time service is always on, i eliminated all the virus of the DC, i ran
defpol.exe, reboot but still same error.
Any other way to recover the AD?
Thanks

> Check the Time Service again.
> Does the Windows Time Service stay started, or is something causing it to
stop?

> "Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237675
> "Frequently asked questions about Windows 2000 DNS and Windows Server 2003
DNS"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291382
>

> Austin M. Horst

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 5:57:15 PM

It seems like there can be so many causes.
Have you removed any administrative or hidden shares?
"Overview of problems that may occur when administrative shares are missing"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842715

Jerold Schulman also has a list of fixes to try:
http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBQ/tip8300/rh8320.htm
(from the Jerold Schulman International - JSI, inc. website)

Austin M. Horst
!