Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
How does this look like:
Intel Pentium D 950 3.4GHz
Intel D975XBXLKR Intel Socket 775 ATX Motherboard
XFX GeForce 7900 GT 520M XTREME
Seagate / 320GB / 7200 / 16MB / SATA-300
ThermalTake / Silent PurePower / 560-Watt / ATX
Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz E.P.P. Memory (2 x 1024)

I'm going to be upgrading from a P4 2.4. This system will be used primarily for gaming.
I was at first going to get a AMD processor but conroe has charmed me. Still I probably won't get conroe near it's launch that's why I'm getting the 950 but I plan to get a conroe maybe 6 months from now.
So the big question is if the mobo I have picked will support conroe.

Thanks

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
That board has to be revision 304 or higher to support Conroe. All boards that use the 975 chipset have to be physically updated to support Conroe as well as have compatible BIOS. Intel 965 motherboards are physically compatible but still require a BIOS update to support Conroe. Currently, I haven't seen any motherboard for sale that would work "as is" with Conroe. If you plan to buy now, buy a 965 chip motherboard, use a P4 to update the BIOS, and then switch CPUs after the update.

juan_mol

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I was planning on getting a pentium D because I think conroe is going to be in high demand right after launch and because I don't want to be hunting for it I just figured to get a pentium D now and wait some months and the get the conroe after the hype has died down.
That depends of course on the availability after launch, if Intel is capable of pumping enough processors to meet the demands then of course I will get a conroe.

They are putting out a lot of Conroe chips at launch, but TBH, I don't think they will be able to meet the demand. Wait a little bit for retailers to get more stock.... it's doubtful you'll be able to get one on launch day.