Epson admits that using their tanks will void your warranty!

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Just spoken to Epson TS because I believe the red nozzle in the printhead is
dead.

Epson: - Welcome to Epson's eTalk. My name is X. How may I help you?
Me: - I have an R800 and I believe the red nozzle is dead. I've wasted two
sets of tanks cleaning
Epson: - What make of cartridges are you using?
Me: - OEM
Epson: - You should always use genuine Epson. The use of OEM cartridges will
void your warranty.

By this point I was pissing myself. OK, I was annoyed about my printer, but
an OEM that doesn't know what OEM stands for? This was too much...

Me: - You do know what OEM stands for, don't you?
Epson: - The only OEM I know is non-Epson.

I did a quick scan of printer companies to see if I could unearth one using
the initials OEM. I couldn't.

Me: - OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. How can that be
anything other than genuine Epson?
Epson: - No it doesn't. OEM cartridges aren't genuine Epson.
Me: - What are they then? Name me a manufacturer of OEM cartridges.
Epson: - /silence/
Me: - Well?
Epson: - JetTec. Many people use JetTec.
Me: - That's a third party manufacturer
Epson: - No they're OEM
Me: - No, they're third-party

He started getting snotty at this point insisting that I didn't know
anything. I terminated the conversation. I'm going to call them tomorrow,
and see if I get someone who does know the correct meaning of OEM.

More about epson admits tanks void warranty
  1. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

    > Just spoken to Epson TS because I believe the red nozzle in the printhead is
    > dead.
    >
    > Epson: - Welcome to Epson's eTalk. My name is X. How may I help you?
    > Me: - I have an R800 and I believe the red nozzle is dead. I've wasted two
    > sets of tanks cleaning
    > Epson: - What make of cartridges are you using?
    > Me: - OEM
    > Epson: - You should always use genuine Epson. The use of OEM cartridges will
    > void your warranty.
    >
    > By this point I was pissing myself. OK, I was annoyed about my printer, but
    > an OEM that doesn't know what OEM stands for? This was too much...
    >
    > Me: - You do know what OEM stands for, don't you?
    > Epson: - The only OEM I know is non-Epson.
    >
    > I did a quick scan of printer companies to see if I could unearth one using
    > the initials OEM. I couldn't.
    >
    > Me: - OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. How can that be
    > anything other than genuine Epson?
    > Epson: - No it doesn't. OEM cartridges aren't genuine Epson.
    > Me: - What are they then? Name me a manufacturer of OEM cartridges.
    > Epson: - /silence/
    > Me: - Well?
    > Epson: - JetTec. Many people use JetTec.
    > Me: - That's a third party manufacturer
    > Epson: - No they're OEM
    > Me: - No, they're third-party
    >
    > He started getting snotty at this point insisting that I didn't know
    > anything. I terminated the conversation. I'm going to call them tomorrow,
    > and see if I get someone who does know the correct meaning of OEM.

    OEM does *not* signify that it has to be the company that made the
    printer. The Original isn't a reference to the printer, it's a reference
    to who made the cartridge. So in this case, even though the tech may
    have been somewhat dense, they were correct. The opposite of OEM is VAR
    or value added reseller. A VAR could take a JetTec cartridge and put
    Bud's Ink brand on it and resell it.
  2. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    My WindowsXP Pro is OEM.

    That means that it is a genuine Microsoft product that does not include
    Microsoft support. It is intended to be distributed by Original Equipment
    Manufacturers and is not for sale to the general public. Support for this
    product is the responsibility of the supplier.

    I would expect that this is the context of the phrase 'OEM' taken by the
    Epson tech.

    So you could argue that the Cartridges that were supplied with the printer
    were OEM since they were supplied by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (in
    this case Epson) and, therefore, according to the Epson Tech, invalidated
    your warranty the first time you used the printer.

    I would agree that jettec is a third party manufacturer and not OEM. They do
    not make Epson Printers or Epson Cartridges. They do make Epson Compatible
    Cartridges.

    --
    Mick Doherty
    http://dotnetrix.co.uk/nothing.html

    > Just spoken to Epson TS because I believe the red nozzle in the printhead
    > is dead.
    >
    > Epson: - Welcome to Epson's eTalk. My name is X. How may I help you?
    > Me: - I have an R800 and I believe the red nozzle is dead. I've wasted two
    > sets of tanks cleaning
    > Epson: - What make of cartridges are you using?
    > Me: - OEM
    > Epson: - You should always use genuine Epson. The use of OEM cartridges
    > will void your warranty.
    >
    > By this point I was pissing myself. OK, I was annoyed about my printer,
    > but an OEM that doesn't know what OEM stands for? This was too much...
    >
    > Me: - You do know what OEM stands for, don't you?
    > Epson: - The only OEM I know is non-Epson.
    >
    > I did a quick scan of printer companies to see if I could unearth one
    > using the initials OEM. I couldn't.
    >
    > Me: - OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. How can that be
    > anything other than genuine Epson?
    > Epson: - No it doesn't. OEM cartridges aren't genuine Epson.
    > Me: - What are they then? Name me a manufacturer of OEM cartridges.
    > Epson: - /silence/
    > Me: - Well?
    > Epson: - JetTec. Many people use JetTec.
    > Me: - That's a third party manufacturer
    > Epson: - No they're OEM
    > Me: - No, they're third-party
    >
    > He started getting snotty at this point insisting that I didn't know
    > anything. I terminated the conversation. I'm going to call them tomorrow,
    > and see if I get someone who does know the correct meaning of OEM.
    >

    > --
    > In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

  3. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    You guys are just as dense as that Epson tech. If you bought a brand new
    Epson printer it is going to come with an Epson ink cartridge not a Jettec
    or anybody else's.

    "Michael Doherty"
    <EXCHANGE#WITH@AND.REMOVE.SQUAREBRACKETS.[mdaudi100#ntlworld.com]> wrote in
    message news:DY4ge.601$Nt.586@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...
    > My WindowsXP Pro is OEM.
    >
    > That means that it is a genuine Microsoft product that does not include
    > Microsoft support. It is intended to be distributed by Original Equipment
    > Manufacturers and is not for sale to the general public. Support for this
    > product is the responsibility of the supplier.
    >
    > I would expect that this is the context of the phrase 'OEM' taken by the
    > Epson tech.
    >
    > So you could argue that the Cartridges that were supplied with the printer
    > were OEM since they were supplied by the Original Equipment Manufacturer
    > (in this case Epson) and, therefore, according to the Epson Tech,
    > invalidated your warranty the first time you used the printer.
    >
    > I would agree that jettec is a third party manufacturer and not OEM. They
    > do not make Epson Printers or Epson Cartridges. They do make Epson
    > Compatible Cartridges.
    >
    > --
    > Mick Doherty
    > http://dotnetrix.co.uk/nothing.html
    >

    > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
    >> Just spoken to Epson TS because I believe the red nozzle in the printhead
    >> is dead.
    >>
    >> Epson: - Welcome to Epson's eTalk. My name is X. How may I help you?
    >> Me: - I have an R800 and I believe the red nozzle is dead. I've wasted
    >> two sets of tanks cleaning
    >> Epson: - What make of cartridges are you using?
    >> Me: - OEM
    >> Epson: - You should always use genuine Epson. The use of OEM cartridges
    >> will void your warranty.
    >>
    >> By this point I was pissing myself. OK, I was annoyed about my printer,
    >> but an OEM that doesn't know what OEM stands for? This was too much...
    >>
    >> Me: - You do know what OEM stands for, don't you?
    >> Epson: - The only OEM I know is non-Epson.
    >>
    >> I did a quick scan of printer companies to see if I could unearth one
    >> using the initials OEM. I couldn't.
    >>
    >> Me: - OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. How can that be
    >> anything other than genuine Epson?
    >> Epson: - No it doesn't. OEM cartridges aren't genuine Epson.
    >> Me: - What are they then? Name me a manufacturer of OEM cartridges.
    >> Epson: - /silence/
    >> Me: - Well?
    >> Epson: - JetTec. Many people use JetTec.
    >> Me: - That's a third party manufacturer
    >> Epson: - No they're OEM
    >> Me: - No, they're third-party
    >>
    >> He started getting snotty at this point insisting that I didn't know
    >> anything. I terminated the conversation. I'm going to call them tomorrow,
    >> and see if I get someone who does know the correct meaning of OEM.
    >>

    >> --
    >> In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

  4. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
    >
    >> Just spoken to Epson TS because I believe the red nozzle in the
    >> printhead is dead.
    >>
    >> Epson: - Welcome to Epson's eTalk. My name is X. How may I help you?
    >> Me: - I have an R800 and I believe the red nozzle is dead. I've
    >> wasted two sets of tanks cleaning
    >> Epson: - What make of cartridges are you using?
    >> Me: - OEM
    >> Epson: - You should always use genuine Epson. The use of OEM
    >> cartridges will void your warranty.
    >>
    >> By this point I was pissing myself. OK, I was annoyed about my
    >> printer, but an OEM that doesn't know what OEM stands for? This was
    >> too much...
    >>
    >> Me: - You do know what OEM stands for, don't you?
    >> Epson: - The only OEM I know is non-Epson.
    >>
    >> I did a quick scan of printer companies to see if I could unearth one
    >> using the initials OEM. I couldn't.
    >>
    >> Me: - OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. How can that be
    >> anything other than genuine Epson?
    >> Epson: - No it doesn't. OEM cartridges aren't genuine Epson.
    >> Me: - What are they then? Name me a manufacturer of OEM cartridges.
    >> Epson: - /silence/
    >> Me: - Well?
    >> Epson: - JetTec. Many people use JetTec.
    >> Me: - That's a third party manufacturer
    >> Epson: - No they're OEM
    >> Me: - No, they're third-party
    >>
    >> He started getting snotty at this point insisting that I didn't know
    >> anything. I terminated the conversation. I'm going to call them
    >> tomorrow, and see if I get someone who does know the correct meaning
    >> of OEM.
    >

    > OEM does *not* signify that it has to be the company that made the
    > printer. The Original isn't a reference to the printer, it's a
    > reference to who made the cartridge. So in this case, even though the
    > tech may have been somewhat dense, they were correct. The opposite of
    > OEM is VAR or value added reseller. A VAR could take a JetTec
    > cartridge and put Bud's Ink brand on it and resell it.

    In this case it is a VSR a Value Subtracted Reseller.
  5. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Michael Doherty wrote:

    >My WindowsXP Pro is OEM.
    >
    >That means that it is a genuine Microsoft product that does not include
    >Microsoft support. It is intended to be distributed by Original Equipment
    >Manufacturers and is not for sale to the general public. Support for this
    >product is the responsibility of the supplier.
    >
    >I would expect that this is the context of the phrase 'OEM' taken by the
    >Epson tech.
    >
    >So you could argue that the Cartridges that were supplied with the printer
    >were OEM since they were supplied by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (in
    >this case Epson) and, therefore, according to the Epson Tech, invalidated
    >your warranty the first time you used the printer.
    >
    >I would agree that jettec is a third party manufacturer and not OEM. They do
    >not make Epson Printers or Epson Cartridges. They do make Epson Compatible
    >Cartridges.

    They probably do not mfg anything. They most likely are a repacker and
    relabeler.
  6. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Who made the cartridges that you have been using?

    | Just spoken to Epson TS because I believe the red nozzle in the printhead
    is
    | dead.
    |
    | Epson: - Welcome to Epson's eTalk. My name is X. How may I help you?
    | Me: - I have an R800 and I believe the red nozzle is dead. I've wasted two
    | sets of tanks cleaning
    | Epson: - What make of cartridges are you using?
    | Me: - OEM
    | Epson: - You should always use genuine Epson. The use of OEM cartridges
    will
    | void your warranty.
    |
    | By this point I was pissing myself. OK, I was annoyed about my printer,
    but
    | an OEM that doesn't know what OEM stands for? This was too much...
    |
    | Me: - You do know what OEM stands for, don't you?
    | Epson: - The only OEM I know is non-Epson.
    |
    | I did a quick scan of printer companies to see if I could unearth one
    using
    | the initials OEM. I couldn't.
    |
    | Me: - OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. How can that be
    | anything other than genuine Epson?
    | Epson: - No it doesn't. OEM cartridges aren't genuine Epson.
    | Me: - What are they then? Name me a manufacturer of OEM cartridges.
    | Epson: - /silence/
    | Me: - Well?
    | Epson: - JetTec. Many people use JetTec.
    | Me: - That's a third party manufacturer
    | Epson: - No they're OEM
    | Me: - No, they're third-party
    |
    | He started getting snotty at this point insisting that I didn't know
    | anything. I terminated the conversation. I'm going to call them tomorrow,
    | and see if I get someone who does know the correct meaning of OEM.
    |

    | --
    | In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

    Read Woe of Epson C62 lower down the listings.

    I had a C62 it went faulty during warrenty, they exchanged it and
    guess what - that went the same way in about the same amount of time
    with the same symptoms

    When I got the xchanged unit I thought I would get a new warrenty - NO
    no said Epson the warrenty starts from the day of purchase they
    said...!

    So No more Epsons for me.

    I wonder if your's went the same way...... Did it want a nozzle clean,
    then more and more nozzle cleans as time went by, I bet like me you
    wasted tons of ink.

    Some folks say you shouldn't use third party inks - BUT I DIDN't,
    whilst under warrenty I ensured I printed regularly and used GENUINE
    INKS and from my write up you will find I still had 'clogged heads'
    So I say Epsons will clog wheter you use third party inks or genuine
    inks - I've prove it

    I imagine your problem like mine, got worse over time - be interested
    to know out of curiousity.

    Davy
  8. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Quote:
    pronounced as separate letters) Short for original equipment manufacturer,
    which is a misleading term for a company that has a special relationship
    with computer producers. OEMs buy computers in bulk and customize them for a
    particular application. They then sell the customized computer under their
    own name. The term is really a misnomer because OEMs are not the original
    manufacturers -- they are the customizers. End Quote.
    Have you ever heard such f*****g rubbish..J

    > Just spoken to Epson TS because I believe the red nozzle in the printhead
    > is dead.
    >
    > Epson: - Welcome to Epson's eTalk. My name is X. How may I help you?
    > Me: - I have an R800 and I believe the red nozzle is dead. I've wasted two
    > sets of tanks cleaning
    > Epson: - What make of cartridges are you using?
    > Me: - OEM
    > Epson: - You should always use genuine Epson. The use of OEM cartridges
    > will void your warranty.
    >
    > By this point I was pissing myself. OK, I was annoyed about my printer,
    > but an OEM that doesn't know what OEM stands for? This was too much...
    >
    > Me: - You do know what OEM stands for, don't you?
    > Epson: - The only OEM I know is non-Epson.
    >
    > I did a quick scan of printer companies to see if I could unearth one
    > using the initials OEM. I couldn't.
    >
    > Me: - OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. How can that be
    > anything other than genuine Epson?
    > Epson: - No it doesn't. OEM cartridges aren't genuine Epson.
    > Me: - What are they then? Name me a manufacturer of OEM cartridges.
    > Epson: - /silence/
    > Me: - Well?
    > Epson: - JetTec. Many people use JetTec.
    > Me: - That's a third party manufacturer
    > Epson: - No they're OEM
    > Me: - No, they're third-party
    >
    > He started getting snotty at this point insisting that I didn't know
    > anything. I terminated the conversation. I'm going to call them tomorrow,
    > and see if I get someone who does know the correct meaning of OEM.
    >

    > --
    > In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

  9. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Miss P,
    Unless I am mistaken, you are in the UK. Have you thought about calling
    Epson Technical Support in the USA? I have never been treated in the manner
    you have and you are perfectly right to be pissed off. I would call Epson
    and insist on speaking with a manager or supervisor and have the text of
    your conversation with the snotty tech you spoke with handy. This is what
    supervisor are for.

    When I called Epson in the US, located in New York as I recall, I was
    treated with respect and my issues were dealt with quickly and fairly. I
    had a problem with my 820 and a supervisor offered to send me a new R200,
    plus a free black cartridge and free shipping with 10% off the website
    price.

    There was no discussion of semantics involving the meaning of OEM or Genuine
    Epson in regards to anything connected with the printer or the cartridges.
    I was simply asked if I was using Epson brand cartridges or not.

    "old jon" <jonbrookes@nospamntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Quote:
    > pronounced as separate letters) Short for original equipment manufacturer,
    > which is a misleading term for a company that has a special relationship
    > with computer producers. OEMs buy computers in bulk and customize them for
    > particular application. They then sell the customized computer under their
    > own name. The term is really a misnomer because OEMs are not the original
    > manufacturers -- they are the customizers. End Quote.
    > Have you ever heard such f*****g rubbish..J
    >
    > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
    > > Just spoken to Epson TS because I believe the red nozzle in the
    printhead
    > > is dead.
    > >
    > > Epson: - Welcome to Epson's eTalk. My name is X. How may I help you?
    > > Me: - I have an R800 and I believe the red nozzle is dead. I've wasted
    two
    > > sets of tanks cleaning
    > > Epson: - What make of cartridges are you using?
    > > Me: - OEM
    > > Epson: - You should always use genuine Epson. The use of OEM cartridges
    > > will void your warranty.
    > >
    > > By this point I was pissing myself. OK, I was annoyed about my printer,
    > > but an OEM that doesn't know what OEM stands for? This was too much...
    > >
    > > Me: - You do know what OEM stands for, don't you?
    > > Epson: - The only OEM I know is non-Epson.
    > >
    > > I did a quick scan of printer companies to see if I could unearth one
    > > using the initials OEM. I couldn't.
    > >
    > > Me: - OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. How can that be
    > > anything other than genuine Epson?
    > > Epson: - No it doesn't. OEM cartridges aren't genuine Epson.
    > > Me: - What are they then? Name me a manufacturer of OEM cartridges.
    > > Epson: - /silence/
    > > Me: - Well?
    > > Epson: - JetTec. Many people use JetTec.
    > > Me: - That's a third party manufacturer
    > > Epson: - No they're OEM
    > > Me: - No, they're third-party
    > >
    > > He started getting snotty at this point insisting that I didn't know
    > > anything. I terminated the conversation. I'm going to call them
    tomorrow,
    > > and see if I get someone who does know the correct meaning of OEM.
    > >

    > > --
    > > In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

  10. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    pcbutts1 wrote:
    > You guys are just as dense as that Epson tech. If you bought a brand new
    > Epson printer it is going to come with an Epson ink cartridge not a Jettec
    > or anybody else's.

    I agree. Somebody can't understand English.
    Original Equipment Manufacture means that it is
    what was used in the new item. It doesn't make
    any difference if Epson contracted the tanks or
    any other part out to other companies, it is what
    was in the new item.

    The OP error was in getting fancy and saying OEM.
    She should have just said Epson tanks.
  11. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
    > Just spoken to Epson TS because I believe the red nozzle in the
    > printhead is dead.
    >
    > Epson: - Welcome to Epson's eTalk. My name is X. How may I help you?
    > Me: - I have an R800 and I believe the red nozzle is dead. I've
    > wasted two sets of tanks cleaning
    > Epson: - What make of cartridges are you using?
    > Me: - OEM
    > Epson: - You should always use genuine Epson. The use of OEM
    > cartridges will void your warranty.
    >
    > By this point I was pissing myself. OK, I was annoyed about my
    > printer, but an OEM that doesn't know what OEM stands for? This was
    > too much...
    >
    > Me: - You do know what OEM stands for, don't you?
    > Epson: - The only OEM I know is non-Epson.
    >
    > I did a quick scan of printer companies to see if I could unearth one
    > using the initials OEM. I couldn't.
    >
    > Me: - OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. How can that be
    > anything other than genuine Epson?
    > Epson: - No it doesn't. OEM cartridges aren't genuine Epson.
    > Me: - What are they then? Name me a manufacturer of OEM cartridges.
    > Epson: - /silence/
    > Me: - Well?
    > Epson: - JetTec. Many people use JetTec.
    > Me: - That's a third party manufacturer
    > Epson: - No they're OEM
    > Me: - No, they're third-party
    >
    > He started getting snotty at this point insisting that I didn't know
    > anything. I terminated the conversation. I'm going to call them
    > tomorrow, and see if I get someone who does know the correct meaning
    > of OEM.

    See this link for a defination of OEM

    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/O/OEM.html

    Brian G
  12. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    pcbutts1 wrote:
    > You guys are just as dense as that Epson tech. If you bought a brand new
    > Epson printer it is going to come with an Epson ink cartridge not a Jettec
    > or anybody else's.

    The response was to a hypothetical situation where Epson trusted a third
    party supplier, and delivered their cartridges instead of their own with
    the printers. Those cartridges would fall into the category "OEM"
    because they're supplied by the manufacturer, the de facto "OEM", as it
    were.

    Davy wrote:

    >Read Woe of Epson C62 lower down the listings.
    >
    >I had a C62 it went faulty during warrenty, they exchanged it and
    >guess what - that went the same way in about the same amount of time
    >with the same symptoms
    >
    >When I got the xchanged unit I thought I would get a new warrenty - NO
    >no said Epson the warrenty starts from the day of purchase they
    >said...!
    >
    >So No more Epsons for me.
    >
    >I wonder if your's went the same way...... Did it want a nozzle clean,
    >then more and more nozzle cleans as time went by, I bet like me you
    >wasted tons of ink.

    I understand that this model was not up to snuff. The R series of
    printer have improved but I hear they are ink guzzlers. Most of the
    people who have clog problems either use 3rd party inks and/or have a
    light print load.

    >Some folks say you shouldn't use third party inks - BUT I DIDN't,
    >whilst under warrenty I ensured I printed regularly and used GENUINE
    >INKS and from my write up you will find I still had 'clogged heads'
    >So I say Epsons will clog wheter you use third party inks or genuine
    >inks - I've prove it
    >
    >I imagine your problem like mine, got worse over time - be interested
    >to know out of curiousity.
    >
    >Davy

  14. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    old jon wrote:

    >Quote:
    >pronounced as separate letters) Short for original equipment manufacturer,
    >which is a misleading term for a company that has a special relationship
    >with computer producers. OEMs buy computers in bulk and customize them for a
    >particular application. They then sell the customized computer under their
    >own name. The term is really a misnomer because OEMs are not the original
    >manufacturers -- they are the customizers. End Quote.
    >Have you ever heard such f*****g rubbish..J

    The above paragraph made sense.

    Davy wrote:

    I understand that this model was not up to snuff. The R series of
    printer have improved but I hear they are ink guzzlers. Most of the
    people who have clog problems either use 3rd party inks and/or have a

    light print load.

    To measekite
    Davy say's
    Perhaps you should read what I have said, I shall repeat. Whilst under
    guarantee I ENSURED I used Epson Inks - Genuine Epson inks

    AGAIN, I will say Epson ink is LIABLE to clog just as much as third
    party inks, have I proved that. The only time I did not use Epson ink
    was when the 2nd printer developed the same fault in the same amount
    of time OK? That was when I switched to JET-TEC. I also ensured that
    the printer never went without use..

    What are we suppose to do - GO AWAY ON HOLIDAY AND BUY A NEW EPSON
    WHEN WE RETURN? AND WHY IS THERE NO ADVICE IN THEIR USER MANUAL
    REGARDING THIS MATTER.

    I apologise for hi-jacking this post but have to respond to people who
    can not comprehend what is being said.
  16. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > Just spoken to Epson TS because I believe the red nozzle in the printhead
    > is dead.
    >
    > Epson: - Welcome to Epson's eTalk. My name is X. How may I help you?
    > Me: - I have an R800 and I believe the red nozzle is dead. I've wasted two
    > sets of tanks cleaning
    > Epson: - What make of cartridges are you using?
    > Me: - OEM
    > Epson: - You should always use genuine Epson. The use of OEM cartridges
    > will void your warranty.
    >
    > By this point I was pissing myself. OK, I was annoyed about my printer,
    > but an OEM that doesn't know what OEM stands for? This was too much...
    >
    > Me: - You do know what OEM stands for, don't you?
    > Epson: - The only OEM I know is non-Epson.
    >
    > I did a quick scan of printer companies to see if I could unearth one
    > using the initials OEM. I couldn't.
    >
    > Me: - OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. How can that be
    > anything other than genuine Epson?
    > Epson: - No it doesn't. OEM cartridges aren't genuine Epson.
    > Me: - What are they then? Name me a manufacturer of OEM cartridges.
    > Epson: - /silence/
    > Me: - Well?
    > Epson: - JetTec. Many people use JetTec.
    > Me: - That's a third party manufacturer
    > Epson: - No they're OEM
    > Me: - No, they're third-party
    >
    > He started getting snotty at this point insisting that I didn't know
    > anything. I terminated the conversation. I'm going to call them tomorrow,
    > and see if I get someone who does know the correct meaning of OEM.

    Hi there.

    This sort of thing is becoming more and more common, it is not confined to
    Epson .

    The problem is "Call Centres".

    When you phone any big company nowadays, you get through to one of these
    places. They ask certain questions, and while doing so put the answers into
    the Computer, and depending on the answers another question is asked.

    Just exactly like using the Troubleshooter in Windows.

    And the person you are speaking to, knows as little about the subject, and
    sometimes a lot less than you do.

    So whoever it was would not have clue what O.E. M. meant. The computer would
    not have an explanation of those initials either, so the conversation was
    bound to deteriorate.

    Asking for a supervisor or manager is no help, they are probably only "Call
    Centre" orientated, and know nothing about the product.

    If you think the OP experience is bad, I would suggest that you never try
    phoning the Bank of Scotland (HBOS) or Scottish Gas.

    Roy G

    It seems like Epson UK is really Epson Anal and that is different from
    Epson US who appears to take care of their customers. Anyway I told
    you that the problem is mostly likely restricted to that particular
    Model. But in general Epsons do have clogging problems but from the
    posts I read more so with aftermarket than 3rd party inks but it does
    happen with both more than other brands because of their pezio design.

    Davy wrote:

    >>measekitewrote:
    >>

    >Davy wrote:
    >

    >I understand that this model was not up to snuff. The R series of
    >printer have improved but I hear they are ink guzzlers. Most of the
    >people who have clog problems either use 3rd party inks and/or have a
    >
    >light print load.
    >
    >To measekite
    >Davy say's
    >Perhaps you should read what I have said, I shall repeat. Whilst under
    >guarantee I ENSURED I used Epson Inks - Genuine Epson inks
    >
    >AGAIN, I will say Epson ink is LIABLE to clog just as much as third
    >party inks, have I proved that. The only time I did not use Epson ink
    >was when the 2nd printer developed the same fault in the same amount
    >of time OK? That was when I switched to JET-TEC. I also ensured that
    >the printer never went without use..
    >
    >What are we suppose to do - GO AWAY ON HOLIDAY AND BUY A NEW EPSON
    >WHEN WE RETURN? AND WHY IS THERE NO ADVICE IN THEIR USER MANUAL
    >REGARDING THIS MATTER.
    >
    >I apologise for hi-jacking this post but have to respond to people who
    >can not comprehend what is being said.

    Just the facts, no nasty posts please - you don't use Epsons or third party
    inks. Data from Tony who repairs these printers indicates that there are
    pretty much equal clogs from OEM and non-OEM inks. Arthur Entlich, from
    what I have seen in his posts, is pretty much an expert on Epsons and uses
    them with both OEM and non-OEM inks. He has not reported substantially more
    problems with non-OEM inks. I appreciate that you know about the two
    printers you use, but I would rely on people with hands-on experience for
    Epson information.

    In article <b9840$4280ef74$455da0d2$28871@allthenewsgroups.com>,
    davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid (Davy) wrote:

    > So I say Epsons will clog wheter you use third party inks or genuine
    > inks - I've prove it

    You've proved that your C62s clogged, which is not the same thing.

    For the Nth time: many people have used Epson inkjet printers for years
    without having more than the occasional blockage which is easily cleared
    by running a head cleaning cycle. I'm one of them.

    Jon.

    In article <YCbge.2625$f5.1591@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>,
    royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk (Roy) wrote:

    > The problem is "Call Centres".

    Epson UK support is in-house (at least, it was a short while ago).

    That doesn't mean to say that you're wrong about the script or the level
    of expertise but you can get to speak to a supervisor or manager who does
    know what they're talking about.

    Jon.

    while this isn't really on the original topic, it may be of use to
    some...

    I am investigating a few different cleaning fluids for my suite of
    Epson printers. The main reason is that not all are in continuous
    use, but when we need them, they must work within a reasonable amount
    of time. And, we are not in the habit of making throw-away prints to
    keep the heads going.

    The reason I bring this up is that it may solve many problems... the
    idea is to soak the 'sponge' in the dock with cleaning fluid and let
    the heads sit over night. I admit I don't know the actual terms for
    the parts, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out. The trick, then,
    is to use just enough fluid in a clean sponge to break up the clogs
    without using so much that the head is damaged. After soaking, run a
    few cleaning cycles.

    This appears to work with both Epson and 3rd party inks, but I highly
    recommend *careful* testing on your own. We've done this on two
    9600s, two 2200s, a 7600 and seen it done on a 4000. None had
    problems.

    oh yeah... the fluids I've tried are about $35US/litre. Kind of
    expensive, but we only use 1/2 oz or so at a shot. That lasts quite a
    long time. My current source is a local vendor with no web site, but
    I'm sure a little time w/ Google will get the needed information on
    supplies.

    "Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Read Woe of Epson C62 lower down the listings.
    >
    > I had a C62 it went faulty during warrenty, they exchanged it and
    > guess what - that went the same way in about the same amount of time
    > with the same symptoms
    >
    > When I got the xchanged unit I thought I would get a new warrenty - NO
    > no said Epson the warrenty starts from the day of purchase they
    > said...!
    >
    > So No more Epsons for me.

    Name a manufacturer that does supply a full new warranty with replacement
    equipment? As far as I know none of them do.
  24. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    I think that tech is wrong at Epson. I am sure they strongly recommend
    Epson cartridges but it doesn't void the warranty if you use aftermarket
    ink. Call and ask someone else.

    > Just spoken to Epson TS because I believe the red nozzle in the printhead
    > is dead.
    >
    > Epson: - Welcome to Epson's eTalk. My name is X. How may I help you?
    > Me: - I have an R800 and I believe the red nozzle is dead. I've wasted two
    > sets of tanks cleaning
    > Epson: - What make of cartridges are you using?
    > Me: - OEM
    > Epson: - You should always use genuine Epson. The use of OEM cartridges
    > will void your warranty.
    >
    > By this point I was pissing myself. OK, I was annoyed about my printer,
    > but an OEM that doesn't know what OEM stands for? This was too much...
    >
    > Me: - You do know what OEM stands for, don't you?
    > Epson: - The only OEM I know is non-Epson.
    >
    > I did a quick scan of printer companies to see if I could unearth one
    > using the initials OEM. I couldn't.
    >
    > Me: - OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. How can that be
    > anything other than genuine Epson?
    > Epson: - No it doesn't. OEM cartridges aren't genuine Epson.
    > Me: - What are they then? Name me a manufacturer of OEM cartridges.
    > Epson: - /silence/
    > Me: - Well?
    > Epson: - JetTec. Many people use JetTec.
    > Me: - That's a third party manufacturer
    > Epson: - No they're OEM
    > Me: - No, they're third-party
    >
    > He started getting snotty at this point insisting that I didn't know
    > anything. I terminated the conversation. I'm going to call them tomorrow,
    > and see if I get someone who does know the correct meaning of OEM.
    >

    > --
    > In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

  25. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    "Safetymom123" <safetymom123@prodigy.net> wrote:

    > I think that tech is wrong at Epson. I am sure they strongly
    > recommend Epson cartridges but it doesn't void the warranty if
    > you use aftermarket ink. Call and ask someone else.

    Duh!

    I do belive Miss Perspicacia Tick understands. ;-)

    > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
    >> Just spoken to Epson TS because I believe the red nozzle in the
    >> printhead is dead.

    -snip-

    >> He started getting snotty at this point insisting that I didn't
    >> know anything. I terminated the conversation. I'm going to call
    >> them tomorrow, and see if I get someone who does know the
    >> correct meaning of OEM.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    After seeing all of these headaches with Epson printers I am glad I did
    not get one.

    lokki wrote:

    >while this isn't really on the original topic, it may be of use to
    >some...
    >
    >I am investigating a few different cleaning fluids for my suite of
    >Epson printers. The main reason is that not all are in continuous
    >use, but when we need them, they must work within a reasonable amount
    >of time. And, we are not in the habit of making throw-away prints to
    >keep the heads going.
    >
    >The reason I bring this up is that it may solve many problems... the
    >idea is to soak the 'sponge' in the dock with cleaning fluid and let
    >the heads sit over night. I admit I don't know the actual terms for
    >the parts, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out. The trick, then,
    >is to use just enough fluid in a clean sponge to break up the clogs
    >without using so much that the head is damaged. After soaking, run a
    >few cleaning cycles.
    >
    >This appears to work with both Epson and 3rd party inks, but I highly
    >recommend *careful* testing on your own. We've done this on two
    >9600s, two 2200s, a 7600 and seen it done on a 4000. None had
    >problems.

  27. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Let's explore the term OEM a little more shall we.

    I have been building and upgrading my own PC's for several years now.
    Whenever I buy a new component I always try to buy an OEM model. So exactly
    what is it that I get? It is not a third party or compatible product, but a
    component built by an original equipment manufacturer, and then sold on via
    a third party distributor.
    Usually the component comes in plain packaging with no manual or "free
    software", other than that it is exactly the same product as the genuine
    resale product.

    I have never purchased an OEM product that was made by a third party
    manufacturer.

    I'll agree that in a lot of cases the Brand name is not the manufacturer,
    but in all cases that I have ever come accross, an OEM product is the same
    product as the genuine product, but packaged for bulk buy rather than
    resale.

    --

    "George E. Cawthon" <GeorgeC-Boise@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > pcbutts1 wrote:
    >> You guys are just as dense as that Epson tech. If you bought a brand new
    >> Epson printer it is going to come with an Epson ink cartridge not a
    >> Jettec or anybody else's.
    >>

    > I agree. Somebody can't understand English. Original Equipment
    > Manufacture means that it is what was used in the new item. It doesn't
    > make any difference if Epson contracted the tanks or any other part out to
    > other companies, it is what was in the new item.
    >
    > The OP error was in getting fancy and saying OEM. She should have just
    > said Epson tanks.
  28. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > After seeing all of these headaches with Epson printers I am glad I did
    > not get one.

    You should join a few of the printer / digital photography forurms, and see
    all the problems people are having with Canon printers.....
  29. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Ivor Floppy wrote:

    >>After seeing all of these headaches with Epson printers I am glad I did
    >>not get one.
    >>

    >You should join a few of the printer / digital photography forurms, and see
    >all the problems people are having with Canon printers.....

    About 1 Canon for every 20 Epsons. And that is jsut a rough count.

  30. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > Ivor Floppy wrote:
    >
    >>"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>After seeing all of these headaches with Epson printers I am glad I did
    >>>not get one.
    >>>

    >>You should join a few of the printer / digital photography forurms, and
    >>see all the problems people are having with Canon printers.....
    > About 1 Canon for every 20 Epsons. And that is jsut a rough count.

    Perhaps you should have a read of
    http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=40 - just as an
    example.

    Now, can you provide me with evidence that shows 20 Epson problems for every
    1 Canon problem?

    No, I thought not.
  31. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > Jon O'Brienwrote:
    In article
    <b9840$4280ef74$455da0d2$28871@allthenewsgroups.com>,

    > You've proved that your C62s clogged, which is not the same thing.
    >
    > For the Nth time: many people have used Epson inkjet printers for
    years
    > without having more than the occasional blockage which is easily
    cleared
    > by running a head cleaning cycle. I'm one of them.
    >
    > Davy replies:
    > Proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt, you like to quote but without
    any explanation so what is not the same thing....?

    > Is a head clog not an head clog then, yes I agree there's alot of
    Epson's about and don't have the trouble that I HAVE EXPERIENCED, but
    there are complaints about Epsons clogging and not just C62's you only
    need to look around

    > T he problems arose using GENUINE EPSON INK's so am I right again in
    saying that original inks are as liable to clog than any other ink? So
    what is not the same then?
  32. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Oh, now I understand what you are complaining about Davy.

    You think that when you get a warranty replacement item, the warranty
    starts all over again? Well, let me see, you buy a new car, and the
    computer in it fails at 20,000 miles into your second year. Do you
    think the whole car now starts with a new warranty as if it was a new
    car? Or that, the computer in the car now gets a new 36 month 40,000
    mile warranty?

    Epson, rather than repairing your printer, which might takes weeks to
    do, and does an over the counter exchange. Often it is someone else's
    printer that was repaired which you will get. Just like your printer
    should have been repaired and provided to someone else, rather than
    tossed in the bin.

    So, in effect, they fixed "something" since the whole printer wasn't
    dysfunctional, only one or a few parts. Just like the car, your printer
    continues to have the remainder of your warranty, usually if your
    printer is almost out of warranty and it is repaired they give a 90 day
    warranty even if the printer is out of warranty.

    VERY few companies provide a new warranty when they repair or replace a
    product. It is a continuation of your previous warranty.

    Have you not dealt with warranty services before?

    Art

    Davy wrote:

    > Read Woe of Epson C62 lower down the listings.
    >
    > I had a C62 it went faulty during warrenty, they exchanged it and
    > guess what - that went the same way in about the same amount of time
    > with the same symptoms
    >
    > When I got the xchanged unit I thought I would get a new warrenty - NO
    > no said Epson the warrenty starts from the day of purchase they
    > said...!
    >
    > So No more Epsons for me.
    >
    > I wonder if your's went the same way...... Did it want a nozzle clean,
    > then more and more nozzle cleans as time went by, I bet like me you
    > wasted tons of ink.
    >
    > Some folks say you shouldn't use third party inks - BUT I DIDN't,
    > whilst under warrenty I ensured I printed regularly and used GENUINE
    > INKS and from my write up you will find I still had 'clogged heads'
    > So I say Epsons will clog wheter you use third party inks or genuine
    > inks - I've prove it
    >
    > I imagine your problem like mine, got worse over time - be interested
    > to know out of curiousity.
    >
    > Davy

  33. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    I believe Epson US's head offices are still located in Torrence
    California, but you got the right country! ;-)

    Art

    Kevin wrote:

    > When I called Epson in the US, located in New York as I recall, I was
    > treated with respect and my issues were dealt with quickly and fairly. I
    > had a problem with my 820 and a supervisor offered to send me a new R200,
    > plus a free black cartridge and free shipping with 10% off the website
    > price.

  34. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    One more thing that may explain part of this disagreement.

    Epson has admitted there has been a large problem with counterfeit ink
    cartridges that they themselves cannot detect from the outSide box are
    not their own.

    If Epson can't tell without opening the cartridge or examining the ink,
    how can anyone be positive they have an Epson cartridge? Any smaller
    store that buys through a jobber, my have non-epson "Epson" cartridges.

    Art

    Jon O'Brien wrote:

    > In article <b9840$4280ef74$455da0d2$28871@allthenewsgroups.com>,
    > davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid (Davy) wrote:
    >

    >>So I say Epsons will clog wheter you use third party inks or genuine
    >>inks - I've prove it
    >

    > You've proved that your C62s clogged, which is not the same thing.
    >
    > For the Nth time: many people have used Epson inkjet printers for years
    > without having more than the occasional blockage which is easily cleared
    > by running a head cleaning cycle. I'm one of them.
    >
    > Jon.
  35. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    This post certainly brought a lot of waffle out, but for most sane people
    the Original Equipment Manufacturer sure means, The Manufacturer who
    Originally made the Equipment. The bulk buyers are just firms who Mod them
    and rebadge them..J

    > Just spoken to Epson TS because I believe the red nozzle in the printhead
    > is dead.
    >
    > Epson: - Welcome to Epson's eTalk. My name is X. How may I help you?
    > Me: - I have an R800 and I believe the red nozzle is dead. I've wasted two
    > sets of tanks cleaning
    > Epson: - What make of cartridges are you using?
    > Me: - OEM
    > Epson: - You should always use genuine Epson. The use of OEM cartridges
    > will void your warranty.
    >
    > By this point I was pissing myself. OK, I was annoyed about my printer,
    > but an OEM that doesn't know what OEM stands for? This was too much...
    >
    > Me: - You do know what OEM stands for, don't you?
    > Epson: - The only OEM I know is non-Epson.
    >
    > I did a quick scan of printer companies to see if I could unearth one
    > using the initials OEM. I couldn't.
    >
    > Me: - OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. How can that be
    > anything other than genuine Epson?
    > Epson: - No it doesn't. OEM cartridges aren't genuine Epson.
    > Me: - What are they then? Name me a manufacturer of OEM cartridges.
    > Epson: - /silence/
    > Me: - Well?
    > Epson: - JetTec. Many people use JetTec.
    > Me: - That's a third party manufacturer
    > Epson: - No they're OEM
    > Me: - No, they're third-party
    >
    > He started getting snotty at this point insisting that I didn't know
    > anything. I terminated the conversation. I'm going to call them tomorrow,
    > and see if I get someone who does know the correct meaning of OEM.
    >

    > --
    > In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

  36. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Davy,

    100% IPA will attack many poly plastics, iirc. Storebought stuff (here
    in the US) is generally 91%, and seems to be pretty kind to most
    surfaces. I haven't thought about it much, but I don't see why it
    wouldn't work to remove ink. The cleaning fluids we are using tend to
    have small amounts of glycerin and a lower vapor pressure so they
    don't evaporate as quickly.

    I'm a little hesitant to try it, though, as the thinner IPA might wick
    (capillary action) into the ink well - not sure about that, though.

    aside - I see you are in Manchester. I'm guessing you *don't* work for
    the AWE, given this recent article:

    http://www.manchester.gov.uk/news/2005/april/nuclear.htm

    :)
  37. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    "lokki" <lokki@act-1-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Davy,
    >
    > 100% IPA will attack many poly plastics, iirc. Storebought stuff (here
    > in the US) is generally 91%, and seems to be pretty kind to most
    > surfaces. I haven't thought about it much, but I don't see why it
    > wouldn't work to remove ink. The cleaning fluids we are using tend to
    > have small amounts of glycerin and a lower vapor pressure so they
    > don't evaporate as quickly.
    >
    > I'm a little hesitant to try it, though, as the thinner IPA might wick
    > (capillary action) into the ink well - not sure about that, though.

    I use IPA from my local chemist (92% I think) for general cleaning inside
    and outside my printers and it hasn't attacked any of the plastics.

    For cleaning the nozzles and under the heads I follow Art's recipe for Epson
    printers and it works brilliantly.

    Mike
  38. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In article <7c3d8$42824061$455da0d2$636@allthenewsgroups.com>,
    davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid (Davy) wrote:

    > Jon O'Brienwrote:
    > In article
    > <b9840$4280ef74$455da0d2$28871@allthenewsgroups.com>,
    >
    > You've proved that your C62s clogged, which is not the same thing.
    >
    > For the Nth time: many people have used Epson inkjet printers for
    > years without having more than the occasional blockage which is easily
    > cleared by running a head cleaning cycle. I'm one of them.
    >
    > Davy replies:
    > Proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt, you like to quote but without
    > any explanation so what is not the same thing....?

    Sorry, I though it was self-evident. There's plenty of doubt.

    You said:

    > So I say Epsons will clog wheter you use third party inks or genuine
    > inks - I've prove it

    That implies that you've proved that all Epson printers clog, whatever ink
    is being used. You haven't. All you've 'proved' (we'll gloss over the fact
    that no one here has seen any actual proof, we've only read your version
    of events, which doesn't even _prove_ that you've ever owned a printer) is
    that you had clogging problems with several C62s. You can't use your
    limited experience of Epson printers to extrapolate to all models and all
    users. It could be that: a) there's something about the way you used the
    printers that caused the clogging. b) there's something in the environment
    where your printers were kept that caused the clogging (dust, low
    humidity, etc). c) some C62s clog and all the ones you had were in this
    group. d) there was a problem with the C62 design which made it
    susceptible to clogging (which I think someone here suggested may be the
    case).

    > Is a head clog not an head clog then, yes I agree there's alot of
    > Epson's about and don't have the trouble that I HAVE EXPERIENCED, but
    > there are complaints about Epsons clogging and not just C62's you only
    > need to look around

    I'm aware of the reports but, as you have pointed out, there are plenty of
    people that don't experience the problem, which makes your statement
    'Epsons will clog' a sweeping generalisation which can be proved false. To
    use your own words: 'I've prove it'.

    > The problems arose using GENUINE EPSON INK's so am I right again in
    > saying that original inks are as liable to clog than any other ink?

    It supports the experience of others that Epsons can clog, no matter what
    ink formulation is used. It doesn't prove, one way or the other, that they
    are '...as liable to clog...'. However, it ignores the fact that some
    people /never/ have serious clogging problems, regardless of which inks
    they use.

    What you're saying is equivalent to arguing that the common factor amongst
    people who are killed crossing the road is that they were crossing the
    road at the time, therefore crossing the road kills you. It can, but it
    doesn't always and more people die whilst not crossing a road than die
    crossing one. What's more likely is that some were being careless, some
    were drunk, some were hit by a careless driver, some weren't actually
    crossing the road but fell or were pushed into it, etc.

    Clogging may be due to:

    - A badly designed printer/print head.
    - How often the printer is used.
    - The kind of ink being used.
    - How the printer is used (E.g. paper that produces lots of dust).
    - Where the printer is used (E.g. low-humidity environment, direct
    sunlight).
    - Some other cause, of which I'm unaware.

    Until you've carried out tests which rule out every possibility, you
    haven't _proved_ anything.

    Jon.
  39. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Jon O'Brien wrote:

    >In article <7c3d8$42824061$455da0d2$636@allthenewsgroups.com>,
    >davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid (Davy) wrote:
    >

    >>Jon O'Brienwrote:
    >>In article
    >><b9840$4280ef74$455da0d2$28871@allthenewsgroups.com>,
    >>
    >>You've proved that your C62s clogged, which is not the same thing.
    >>
    >>For the Nth time: many people have used Epson inkjet printers for
    >>years without having more than the occasional blockage which is easily
    >>cleared by running a head cleaning cycle. I'm one of them.
    >>
    >>Davy replies:
    >>Proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt, you like to quote but without
    >>any explanation so what is not the same thing....?
    >>

    >Sorry, I though it was self-evident. There's plenty of doubt.
    >
    >You said:
    >

    >>So I say Epsons will clog wheter you use third party inks or genuine
    >>inks - I've prove it
    >>

    >That implies that you've proved that all Epson printers clog, whatever ink
    >is being used. You haven't. All you've 'proved' (we'll gloss over the fact
    >that no one here has seen any actual proof, we've only read your version
    >of events, which doesn't even _prove_ that you've ever owned a printer) is
    >that you had clogging problems with several C62s. You can't use your
    >limited experience of Epson printers to extrapolate to all models and all
    >users. It could be that: a) there's something about the way you used the
    >printers that caused the clogging. b) there's something in the environment
    >where your printers were kept that caused the clogging (dust, low
    >humidity, etc). c) some C62s clog and all the ones you had were in this
    >group. d) there was a problem with the C62 design which made it
    >susceptible to clogging (which I think someone here suggested may be the
    >case).
    >

    >>Is a head clog not an head clog then, yes I agree there's alot of
    >>Epson's about and don't have the trouble that I HAVE EXPERIENCED, but
    >>there are complaints about Epsons clogging and not just C62's you only
    >>need to look around
    >>

    >I'm aware of the reports but, as you have pointed out, there are plenty of
    >people that don't experience the problem, which makes your statement
    >'Epsons will clog' a sweeping generalisation which can be proved false. To
    >use your own words: 'I've prove it'.
    >

    >>The problems arose using GENUINE EPSON INK's so am I right again in
    >>saying that original inks are as liable to clog than any other ink?
    >>

    >It supports the experience of others that Epsons can clog, no matter what
    >ink formulation is used. It doesn't prove, one way or the other, that they
    >are '...as liable to clog...'. However, it ignores the fact that some
    >people /never/ have serious clogging problems, regardless of which inks
    >they use.

    All of everything said in this post is true. However, very generally it
    is known that Epson printers as a class have a greater tendency to clog
    than Canon and that Canon, while much smaller, will have a greater
    propensity to clog over an HP with cart and head together. While it is
    generally true it is equally true that many people have had the right
    mix of usage that they did not experience any clogs or just an
    occassional one. It is also true, as admitted by the Epson Factory Rep I
    spoke with that Epson goes through numerous unasked for cleaning cycles
    and uses more ink.

    >What you're saying is equivalent to arguing that the common factor amongst
    >people who are killed crossing the road is that they were crossing the
    >road at the time, therefore crossing the road kills you. It can, but it
    >doesn't always and more people die whilst not crossing a road than die
    >crossing one. What's more likely is that some were being careless, some
    >were drunk, some were hit by a careless driver, some weren't actually
    >crossing the road but fell or were pushed into it, etc.
    >
    >Clogging may be due to:
    >
    >- A badly designed printer/print head.
    >- How often the printer is used.
    >- The kind of ink being used.
    >- How the printer is used (E.g. paper that produces lots of dust).
    >- Where the printer is used (E.g. low-humidity environment, direct
    >sunlight).
    >- Some other cause, of which I'm unaware.
    >
    >Until you've carried out tests which rule out every possibility, you
    >haven't _proved_ anything.
    >
    >Jon.

  40. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In article <BcKge.1674$Y81.957@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
    measekite@yahoo.com (measekite) wrote:

    > ...very generally it is known that Epson printers as a class have a
    > greater tendency to clog than Canon...

    That may be true but without verified figures showing how many experience
    clogging as a percentage of units sold it's only speculation. I believe
    Epson sells more inkjet printers than Canon in most world markets.

    Whatever the truth may be, suggesting that all Epson printers clog is
    misleading. More helpful would be to say that clogging in Epson printers
    seems, generally, to be unrelated to ink formulation and to pass on to
    trying to discover what factors are truly significant. Perspective buyers
    can then decide whether or not to buy an Epson based on their projected
    usage, environment, etc.

    Jon.
  41. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Jon O'Brien wrote:

    >In article <BcKge.1674$Y81.957@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
    >measekite@yahoo.com (measekite) wrote:
    >

    >>...very generally it is known that Epson printers as a class have a
    >>greater tendency to clog than Canon...
    >>

    >That may be true but without verified figures showing how many experience
    >clogging as a percentage of units sold it's only speculation. I believe
    >Epson sells more inkjet printers than Canon in most world markets.
    >
    >Whatever the truth may be, suggesting that all Epson printers clog is
    >misleading. More helpful would be to say that clogging in Epson printers
    >seems, generally, to be unrelated to ink formulation

    Yes but more people who are not using Epson inks appear to be doing more
    complaining about clogs.

    >and to pass on to
    >trying to discover what factors are truly significant. Perspective buyers
    >can then decide whether or not to buy an Epson based on their projected
    >usage, environment, etc.
    >
    >Jon.

  42. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    The message <memo.20050512172831.2156A@blue.compulink.co.uk>
    from Jon@NOonlySPAMbrowsingTHANX.com (Jon O'Brien) contains these words:

    > In article <BcKge.1674$Y81.957@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
    > measekite@yahoo.com (measekite) wrote:

    > > ...very generally it is known that Epson printers as a class have a
    > > greater tendency to clog than Canon...

    > That may be true but without verified figures showing how many experience
    > clogging as a percentage of units sold it's only speculation. I believe
    > Epson sells more inkjet printers than Canon in most world markets.

    Hi just found this group and topic.
    Can one 'unclog' an Epson printer? Has anyone tried? Had any success?
    I've tried the nozzle clean etc many times but without success.
    Appreciate your thoughts.
    Cheers
    Jim
    PS A Stylus color 440 and a Stylus Color lls
  43. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:09:24 +0100, J L Williams
    <j.l.williams@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

    >The message <memo.20050512172831.2156A@blue.compulink.co.uk>
    >from Jon@NOonlySPAMbrowsingTHANX.com (Jon O'Brien) contains these words:
    >
    >> In article <BcKge.1674$Y81.957@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
    >> measekite@yahoo.com (measekite) wrote:
    >
    >> > ...very generally it is known that Epson printers as a class have a
    >> > greater tendency to clog than Canon...
    >
    >> That may be true but without verified figures showing how many experience
    >> clogging as a percentage of units sold it's only speculation. I believe
    >> Epson sells more inkjet printers than Canon in most world markets.
    >
    >Hi just found this group and topic.
    >Can one 'unclog' an Epson printer? Has anyone tried? Had any success?
    >I've tried the nozzle clean etc many times but without success.
    >Appreciate your thoughts.
    >Cheers
    >Jim
    >PS A Stylus color 440 and a Stylus Color lls

    Find a post by Arthur Entlich. Write to him and he'll send you a
    manual by email for free on how to unclog.

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    Bottom line - Many people love their Epson printers and the photos they
    produce. If they have eventually clogged with OEM or non-OEM inks the good
    news is that nearly all head clogs can be completely cleared.
    Unfortunately, the user manual only suggests the cleaning cycles from their
    software. Luckily we have Arthur Entlich's cleaning manual as a resource
    for going beyond clicking the head cleaning button, and almost all Epson
    (and many other printers) can be restored to excellent function with very
    little effort or time expended. Instead of bemoaning the potential for
    clogs we should focus on these simple maintenance steps to keep our printers
    functioning. BTW, my Epson Stylus 900 clogged occasionally and I only use
    OEM inks in this printer. Easily fixed. My Canon i960 with non-oem
    (carefully selected) inks has not clogged yet with almost a year of use.
    When it does, I have learned from people who post to this and other forums
    how to solve the problem.

    "MikeD" <mike.dunstan@nochance.uk.thalesgroup.com> wrote in message
    > "lokki" <lokki@act-1-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Davy,
    >>
    >> 100% IPA will attack many poly plastics, iirc. Storebought stuff (here
    >> in the US) is generally 91%, and seems to be pretty kind to most
    >> surfaces. I haven't thought about it much, but I don't see why it
    >> wouldn't work to remove ink. The cleaning fluids we are using tend to
    >> have small amounts of glycerin and a lower vapor pressure so they
    >> don't evaporate as quickly.
    >>
    >> I'm a little hesitant to try it, though, as the thinner IPA might wick
    >> (capillary action) into the ink well - not sure about that, though.
    >
    > I use IPA from my local chemist (92% I think) for general cleaning inside
    > and outside my printers and it hasn't attacked any of the plastics.
    >
    > For cleaning the nozzles and under the heads I follow Art's recipe for
    > Epson
    > printers and it works brilliantly.
    >
    > Mike

  45. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Burt wrote:

    >Bottom line - Many people love their Epson printers and the photos they
    >produce. If they have eventually clogged with OEM or non-OEM inks the good
    >news is that nearly all head clogs can be completely cleared.
    >Unfortunately, the user manual only suggests the cleaning cycles from their
    >software. Luckily we have Arthur Entlich's cleaning manual as a resource
    >for going beyond clicking the head cleaning button, and almost all Epson
    >(and many other printers) can be restored to excellent function with very
    >little effort or time expended. Instead of bemoaning the potential for
    >clogs we should focus on these simple maintenance steps to keep our printers
    >functioning. BTW, my Epson Stylus 900 clogged occasionally and I only use
    >OEM inks in this printer. Easily fixed. My Canon i960 with non-oem
    >(carefully selected) inks has not clogged yet with almost a year of use.
    >When it does, I have learned from people who post to this and other forums
    >how to solve the problem.

    When you buy a car you really do not want a maintenance headache. You
    want to drive. Well the same should be true about printing. You want
    to do photography and enjoy the result; not nursemaid a printer.

    >"MikeD" <mike.dunstan@nochance.uk.thalesgroup.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>"lokki" <lokki@act-1-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>Davy,
    >>>
    >>>100% IPA will attack many poly plastics, iirc. Storebought stuff (here
    >>>in the US) is generally 91%, and seems to be pretty kind to most
    >>>surfaces. I haven't thought about it much, but I don't see why it
    >>>wouldn't work to remove ink. The cleaning fluids we are using tend to
    >>>have small amounts of glycerin and a lower vapor pressure so they
    >>>don't evaporate as quickly.
    >>>
    >>>I'm a little hesitant to try it, though, as the thinner IPA might wick
    >>>(capillary action) into the ink well - not sure about that, though.
    >>>

    >>I use IPA from my local chemist (92% I think) for general cleaning inside
    >>and outside my printers and it hasn't attacked any of the plastics.
    >>
    >>For cleaning the nozzles and under the heads I follow Art's recipe for
    >>Epson
    >>printers and it works brilliantly.
    >>
    >>Mike

  46. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > Bvrt wrote:
    >
    >>Bottom line - Many people love their Epson printers and the photos they
    >>prodvce. If they have eventvally clogged with OEM or non-OEM inks the
    >>good news is that nearly all head clogs can be completely cleared.
    >>Unfortvnately, the vser manval only svggests the cleaning cycles from
    >>their software. Lvckily we have Arthvr Entlich's cleaning manval as a
    >>resovrce for going beyond clicking the head cleaning bvtton, and almost
    >>all Epson (and many other printers) can be restored to excellent fvnction
    >>with very little effort or time expended. Instead of bemoaning the
    >>potential for clogs we shovld focvs on these simple maintenance steps to
    >>keep ovr printers fvnctioning. BTW, my Epson Stylvs 900 clogged
    >>occasionally and I only vse OEM inks in this printer. Easily fixed. My
    >>Canon i960 with non-oem (carefvlly selected) inks has not clogged yet with
    >>almost a year of vse. When it does, I have learned from people who post to
    >>this and other forvms how to solve the problem.
    >>

    > When yov bvy a car yov really do not want a maintenance headache. Yov
    > want to drive. Well the same shovld be trve abovt printing. Yov want to
    > do photography and enjoy the resvlt; not nvrsemaid a printer.

    (snip)

    Hate to clve yov in on a fact of life, bvt EVERYTHING reqvires some
    maintenance and occasional repairs. Even yov and me! Even the most revered
    cars with the best Consvmers Union stamp of approval are rated as arriving
    with "x" nvmber of defects, and every car I've ever owned, from Porsche to
    VW bvg to Honda to Toyota, came with a printed maintenance schedvle and a
    dealer with a bvsy repair department. Years back when Jags were plagved
    with electrical problems I had friends who continved to bvy and happily
    drive them. A few of them were medical professionals who were also skilled
    avto mechanics, and they knew exactly what they were bvying and why. Some
    additional maintenance was worth the great driving experience to them. To
    say nothing of friends who, in spite of the terrible repvtation for
    reqviring repairs, loved the way their Ferraris drove and handled. What yov
    describe as a headache is, for some, jvst a tradeoff for something they
    enjoy vsing. It is the glass half empty vs. the glass half fvll
    phylosophy --- yov call it a headache and someone else jvst shrvgs it off as
    simple maintenance to vse something they enjoy.

    More specifically, my Epson printer only clogged mildly after more than
    three years of vse, and an hovr's worth of maintenance at home fixed it.
    Not exactly playing nvrsmaid and certainly not a maintenance headache.
  47. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    The message <01n781h34cduj521k8a7t532ha1u9jjh1o@4ax.com>
    from Hecate <hecate@newsguy.com> contains these words:

    > >Hi just found this group and topic.
    > >Can one 'unclog' an Epson printer? Has anyone tried? Had any success?
    > >I've tried the nozzle clean etc many times but without success.
    > >Appreciate your thoughts.
    > >Cheers
    > >Jim
    > >PS A Stylus color 440 and a Stylus Color lls

    > Find a post by Arthur Entlich. Write to him and he'll send you a
    > manual by email for free on how to unclog.

    Thanks very kindly. I'll do just that :)
    Jim
  48. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > Burt wrote:
    >
    >>Bottom line - Many people love their Epson printers and the photos they
    >>produce. If they have eventually clogged with OEM or non-OEM inks the
    >>good news is that nearly all head clogs can be completely cleared.
    >>Unfortunately, the user manual only suggests the cleaning cycles from
    >>their software. Luckily we have Arthur Entlich's cleaning manual as a
    >>resource for going beyond clicking the head cleaning button, and almost
    >>all Epson (and many other printers) can be restored to excellent function
    >>with very little effort or time expended. Instead of bemoaning the
    >>potential for clogs we should focus on these simple maintenance steps to
    >>keep our printers functioning. BTW, my Epson Stylus 900 clogged
    >>occasionally and I only use OEM inks in this printer. Easily fixed. My
    >>Canon i960 with non-oem (carefully selected) inks has not clogged yet with
    >>almost a year of use. When it does, I have learned from people who post to
    >>this and other forums how to solve the problem.
    >>

    > When you buy a car you really do not want a maintenance headache. You
    > want to drive.

    So you *never* check the oil, water, tyre pressure, brake fluid levels etc?
    I'd hate to be with you when you breakdown.....
  49. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Davy,

    You are certainly entitled to your anger and frustration with Epson
    products based upon your experience with them. It seems the Epson UK
    division you dealt with was less that fair or efficient.

    However, I will point out (once again, for the sake of fairness) that
    there is hardly ANY company that, when replacing the product under
    warranty, starts the warranty fresh again.

    A few companies occasionally do this as a good will gesture, but it's
    very rare. Items that come with lifetime warranties do it, because the
    warranty is supposedly for the lifetime of the owner or potential useful
    life of the product.

    Almost every guarantee or warranty I have read states that should the
    product be replaced or repaired under warranty that the product will
    have the remainder of the warranty from the original purchase date or
    something like 90 days, which ever is longer.

    Did you bother to read the warranty that came with your printer? What
    did it say?

    Art

    Davy wrote:

    > Read Woe of Epson C62 lower down the listings.
    >
    > I had a C62 it went faulty during warrenty, they exchanged it and
    > guess what - that went the same way in about the same amount of time
    > with the same symptoms
    >
    > When I got the xchanged unit I thought I would get a new warrenty - NO
    > no said Epson the warrenty starts from the day of purchase they
    > said...!
    >
    > So No more Epsons for me.
    >
    > I wonder if your's went the same way...... Did it want a nozzle clean,
    > then more and more nozzle cleans as time went by, I bet like me you
    > wasted tons of ink.
    >
    > Some folks say you shouldn't use third party inks - BUT I DIDN't,
    > whilst under warrenty I ensured I printed regularly and used GENUINE
    > INKS and from my write up you will find I still had 'clogged heads'
    > So I say Epsons will clog wheter you use third party inks or genuine
    > inks - I've prove it
    >
    > I imagine your problem like mine, got worse over time - be interested
    > to know out of curiousity.
    >
    > Davy

Printers Epson OEM Peripherals Product