LDIFDE - Add Auxiliary Class - Unwilling to Perform

Hi,

I am trying to import some information into Active Directory on a Windows
2000 server.

I am using LDIFDE and I have managed to successfully add two attributes and
an auxiliary class. I am trying to add the auxiliary class to the User
class.

My import file is as follows:

dn: CN=User, CN=Schema, CN=Configuration, DC=test, DC=local
changetype: modify
add: auxiliaryClass
auxiliaryClass: AEUser
-

I get the following error:

Error on Line X: Unwilling to perform
The server side error is "8508"
An error has occured in the program

I have checked the schema and I can see my added attributes and auxilary
class. Does anyone know why I am getting this error?

Thanks in advance,

Kirk

The following is taken from here:
--
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/debug/base/system_error_codes__8200-8999_.asp

8508
"Adding a new mandatory attribute to an existing class, deleting a mandatory
attribute from an existing class, or adding an optional attribute to the
special class Top that is not a back link attribute (directly or through
inheritance, for example, by adding or deleting an auxiliary class) is not
allowed."

--
Paul Williams
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

You can also do a

NET HELPMSG 8508

F:\DEV\cpp\ExchMbx>net helpmsg 8508

Adding a new mandatory attribute to an existing class, deleting a mandatory
attribute from an existing class, or adding an optional attribute to the special
class Top that is not a
backlink attribute (directly or through inheritance, for example, by adding or
deleting an auxiliary class) is not allowed.

Kirk, do you know which of those rules you are breaking? Note that in K3 you can
dynamically add an aux class to objects that add new mandatory attributes.

joe

www.joeware.net

ptwilliams wrote:
> The following is taken from here:
> --
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/debug/base/system_error_codes__8200-8999_.asp
>
> 8508
> "Adding a new mandatory attribute to an existing class, deleting a mandatory
> attribute from an existing class, or adding an optional attribute to the
> special class Top that is not a back link attribute (directly or through
> inheritance, for example, by adding or deleting an auxiliary class) is not
> allowed."

Thanks for the pointers guys.

My aux class had two attributes, one of which I had made mandatory.
Obviously this wasn't working as there are existing instances of the user
class. Making both attributes options within the aux class and then adding
it to the user class worked fine.

Many thanks,

Kirk